Stena Line Cabin

Pat Hasler:
Last time I did it the trip was only 3.5 hours so why the cabin ?

Access to a bunk or couchette my good man. Very important to keep ones hours right!

Pat Hasler:

Just driven from Brighton to Holyhead (v.tired!), i’m last on with hazardous goods. When you eventually get on the passenger decks all the sofas are full with people getting some kip. I knew I had a cabin on the 2.40am crossing last week, wasn’t sure about the 8.30pm, as it is I’m now waiting (as I post) for the 2.40am (again) as the DG paperwork was wrong (again)

Incidentally, I did the crossing with family in the summer in a car! 3.5hrs is a long time sat at a table with people snoring and kids screaming around you and that was 2pm, i’d book a cabin next holiday, comfortable rooms, clean, quiet, not crowded

3.5 hours crossing? must get that boat!! more closer to 4 hours by the time they get docked and ramps down seriously slow and I can’t see any reason for it.

Surely truck drivers should get the priority of the Cabins?
Due to the nature of are work

Guess it don’t work like that :unamused:

Slightly off track, but i used the Birkenhead-Belfast Stena Line Boat this week, 8 hour crossing, forced sharing of cabin’s (thanks for the info Luke) but you can get a cabin to yourself for £20.

switchlogic:
Just a shame the Stena Nordica has the worst food on the Irish sea!

I worked the Irish Sea for 4 years so you obviously never tasted my cooked grub then :smiley:

lucky only 2 to a cabin, Try Brittany ferries 31hr crossing sunday from Portsmouth to Biblao can be upto 4 in a cabin and with mixed nationalaity aswell

Pay the extra to have a cabin yourself or sleep in the cab.

kernan_d:
3.5 hours crossing? must get that boat!! more closer to 4 hours by the time they get docked and ramps down seriously slow and I can’t see any reason for it.

Is that supposed to be a serious reply ? … Ok 3.5 hours crossing and 30 minutes for getting on and off FFS.
I could say the same thing about flying over the Atlantic in that case… “How long is the flight Pat ?”
“9 hours”
“WOW, 9 hours from Newark to Heathrow, surely not ?”
“Well the actual flight is on 6 hours but add 3 on for the checking in, getting through security, boarding and getting your bags and through immigration at Heathrow”
You twonk.

switchlogic:

Pat Hasler:

Surely you are well aware of the answer to that?

No, actually I am not aware of the answer to that ? Things have changed since I lived there or drove a lorry on that ferry, i didn’t give a toss where I sat on ferry crossings when I lived there but if it was a long overnight crossing then a cabin was expected. As for the Portsmouth to Bibao crossing mentioned, things must have sped up a bit because it was 48 hours each way on the Pride of Bilbao.

Pat Hasler:

switchlogic:

Pat Hasler:

Surely you are well aware of the answer to that?

No, actually I am not aware of the answer to that ? Things have changed since I lived there or drove a lorry on that ferry, i didn’t give a toss where I sat on ferry crossings when I lived there but if it was a long overnight crossing then a cabin was expected. As for the Portsmouth to Bibao crossing mentioned, things must have sped up a bit because it was 48 hours each way on the Pride of Bilbao.

Well first of all you can’t count it as daily rest without a bunk and secondly 48 hours to Bilbao?! Was the boat going backwards? No wonder P&O stopped if Brittany Ferries coud do it in half the time…

Wrong ! Brittany ferries do it in 36 hours each way and have a shorter distance because they run from Plymouth to Santander, P&O run from Portsmouth, that’s why it took 12 hours longer. Even Poole to St Helier which is a quarter the distance can take between 10 and 12 hours, 14 if it calls at Gurnsey en route. They ar both routes taken regularly for motorsport attending Jerez.

Blimey, best bow to your superior knowlege Pat. I’ve only sailed between Portsmouth and Santander on Brittany Ferries 4 times this year. The fact each time it took 24/25 hours must be a fluke. Maybe you best tell Brittany as well as their timetable is clearly wrong too-

brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry … /timetable

Little tip for you, it’s super easy to check facts like this out before posting. Always handy to save you making yourself look silly.

All the night crossings go very slow to save fuel and to arrive too early in the morning with grumpy tourists or tired children to wake up.

The internet is wrong. Luke is wrong. Pat knows everything.

happysack:
The internet is wrong. Luke is wrong. Pat knows everything.

I’m always bloody wrong. I’m utterly useless. How did I get this so wrong despite being a huge ferry nerd!

I always get a cabin to myself

Last few times I have done the Plymoth - Santander has been 24 hr

animal:

As do i, when available.
I absolutely refuse to share with complete stranger’s, mixed nationality or not.
My argument is, and always will be, they don’t force sharing on joe public, so why should i have to accept it because i am a truck driver?
On one crossing in 2008, on the Killingholme-Hoek boat, i was told it was because they didn’t want to have to clean twice the amount of room’s.

mjbaron:

animal:

As do i, when available.
I absolutely refuse to share with complete stranger’s, mixed nationality or not.
My argument is, and always will be, they don’t force sharing on joe public, so why should i have to accept it because i am a truck driver?
On one crossing in 2008, on the Killingholme-Hoek boat, i was told it was because they didn’t want to have to clean twice the amount of room’s.

Not just when availlable & no Iam not charged extra :slight_smile:

They make us share because it’s less money and ess effort for them. Because they know we have no choice but to ■■■■ it up. On the mythical Brittany Ferries 24 hour crossing from Portsmouth it’s £30 for a single, which isn’t too bad. But that’s the only time I’ll consider paying for a single. On the overnights I just drop a sleeping pill pop in my in ear headphones and normally that gets me through a night with even the loudest snorer!