Steering wheel attendant or real driver

whats the differance?

And the hundreds in between .

mattecube:
whats the differance?

the difference is quite a lot! :grimacing: abit like drivers and screwdrivers! :sunglasses:

Attitude, consideration and plain common sense :wink:

It’s the difference between those who know what they’re doing & those that think they know what they’re doing.

First one drives for Stobart and the real one doesn’t :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

BillyHunt:
It’s the difference between those who know what they’re doing & those that think they know what they’re doing.

The ones that don’t, stand out like a sore thumb making it easy to avoid the ■■■■■■■.

First one is agency…

Drivers that think, adapt and overcome with a professional manner vs those that don’t give a ■■■■ and couldn’t give a toss.

Those that leave the yard in the morning V the complainers that find reasons not to.

Contraflow:
First one is agency…

Only because it fits in with their lifestyle :wink:

Usually means not a lot as it’s just names bandied about with no actual reference to the drivers in question skill or attitude level; as has already been demonstrated on this thread by posts stating all Stobart and agency drivers are in fact just steering wheel attendants when that is obviously not true.

To my mind the majority of drivers are neither but lie somewhere in between. Those who claim to be real drivers are, in my experience, those to be avoided in RDC’s, on ferries and in fact anywhere as they tend to be knobs. Those said to be steering wheel attendants are usually only called that by those ‘real drivers’ so it doesn’t hold much weight. Normal, regular drivers don’t tend to label themselves.

In general those that call themselves “real drivers” tend to talk the biggest bull ■■■■.

What a synical lot we are :laughing:

Steering wheel attendants have no mechanical sympathy for the equipment,some through ignorance,some through the ‘f’ em attitude.
Steering wheel attendants when confronted by a problem won’think of a way to solve it but just sit there because ‘I’m only a driver,it’s not my job’.

I wonder,do you find the more useful blokes drive flats,hiab’s,livestock,oversize etc…not saying that your fridge,box drivers are crap in comparison but unhelpful blokes surely cant last long on the former?

Having never been over the water,do you find the drivers have more about them?

ShropsBri:
Having never been over the water,do you find the drivers have more about them?

Not really, tend to be the same cross section.

Coffeeholic:
Usually means not a lot as it’s just names bandied about with no actual reference to the drivers in question skill or attitude level; as has already been demonstrated on this thread by posts stating all Stobart and agency drivers are in fact just steering wheel attendants when that is obviously not true.

To my mind the majority of drivers are neither but lie somewhere in between. Those who claim to be real drivers are, in my experience, those to be avoided in RDC’s, on ferries and in fact anywhere as they tend to be knobs. Those said to be steering wheel attendants are usually only called that by those ‘real drivers’ so it doesn’t hold much weight. Normal, regular drivers don’t tend to label themselves.

Spot on they usually get quite irate when you don’t want to spend three hours talking about v8 scania and start throwing the steering wheel attendant name about if you question there sanity about spending all weekend polishing there bosses lorry and spending there money nailing tat to it.

The way the job is now with many big firms just employing you to move the lorry from a to b not even change a bulb doesn’t make you a worse driver than super trucker changing his gearbox on the hard shoulder it’s just a different way of doing things.

I would say frilly pelmets, curtains half drawn, seat on the floor, hi bar mid bar low bar side bar roof bar, halfords entire led collection would be a steering wheel attendant as you know the lorry will be auto on some dull too and fro route as a “real” driver wouldnt do anthing that involved any load interaction.

Steering wheel attendant sounds a far less stressful job than the driver role. Less to worry and think about. You get paid the same right?