Steering problems

I have a 2008 Daf CF75 concrete mixer. Last week while sat on site I tried to do full lock over while parked dead but the steering would only take the wheel so far over and wouldn’t give me full lock ( I wasn’t driving but parked up with engine on).

Then today while parked up I thought I’d grease the king pin and moved the steering wheel over on full lock but again wouldn’t lock all way over.

Both times when this problem has happened it’s been rectified by just driving off. Could something be blocking me getting full lock? Any thoughts?

I’ve checked the steering fluid and that is fine.

Anyone?

check the angle drive on the front of the steering box isnt siezed, its a fairly common issue

The_DAF_Man:
check the angle drive on the front of the steering box isnt siezed, its a fairly common issue

What am I looking for and where abouts is it?

Someone said it’s possible that it was coz I was sat stationary and the weight of me being fully loaded with no revs on might not have give the pump enough power to turn it. As I said, the min I pulled off it was fine.

I often get that with my 2006 Alpha [same steering] its as if the power steering stops working,Ive been told its the valves in the steering box and a recon box is the answer.

pursy:
I often get that with my 2006 Alpha [same steering] its as if the power steering stops working,Ive been told its the valves in the steering box and a recon box is the answer.

It’s not like the power steering went, it was more like something was blocking it turning. I checked I wasn’t up against a kerb.

This happened on my old Daf 75, it happened at slow speeds/stopped but also occasionally gave me ‘lumpy’ steering onthe road. The steering box was the problem. I ordered a new one and it miraculously stopped so I sent it back!

My fitter seemed to think that perhaps a little piece of debris must have got in the mechanism somewhere and it just dislodged itself somehow. I assume its all floating in oil so I assumed it just washed away?

hammer:
This happened on my old Daf 75, it happened at slow speeds/stopped but also occasionally gave me ‘lumpy’ steering onthe road. The steering box was the problem. I ordered a new one and it miraculously stopped so I sent it back!

My fitter seemed to think that perhaps a little piece of debris must have got in the mechanism somewhere and it just dislodged itself somehow. I assume its all floating in oil so I assumed it just washed away?

I will get my fitter to have good look at in on my next inspection. Since this happened I’ve noticed ( or might be me getting paranoid) that my steering wheel is slightly to the left now which I don’t think was before. If I drive straight my steering wheel is slightly to the left.

The also seems more play in the steering wheel, when I turn it seems the steering wheel turns more than it should.

I’m not a fitter and know nothing really about trucks but could this be a steering knuckle or something? Can’t see it being the steering box as it’s not loosing it’s power steering or anything.

Any ideas?

Anyone any ideas to what I could be?

as daf man said check angle drive on end of steering box common problem on these

mattaid:
as daf man said check angle drive on end of steering box common problem on these

How do I check this and where is this?

Thanks in advance

two bolt fixing on end of steering box to steering wheel shaft remove angle drive and turn it by hand making sure its not not notchy

mattaid:
two bolt fixing on end of steering box to steering wheel shaft remove angle drive and turn it by hand making sure its not not notchy

I’ll get my fitter to check it as I’ve not a clue what or where I’m looking. If this is the problem, how’s it fixed?

Do you think it could be my steering box on way out? I hope to god it ain’t as I guess that will be pretty expensive!

wd40 on the steering knuckle.