Steering conduct during test?

during my test,everytime i pulled up at lights r/bouts i"d wipe my hands on my jeans (stupid really palms dont /cant sweat?)examiner said “if you take your bloody hands off that steering wheel one more time i”"ll bloody glue them to the wheel " message understood then , he was 2 the point!but then, when igot into the cab at ist ,i reached up 2 switch on the radio >DOH !!

Wasn’t sure where to put this, figured I’d get a better answer. In a car test, they expect you to use the police man’s push-pull steering method. Can you be marked against this if you don’t do it when driving a lorry in a test?

Sam,
I’ve moved your post to this forum because I think you’ll get more views and answers from LGV instructors here. dd.

Sam Millar:
Wasn’t sure where to put this, figured I’d get a better answer. In a car test, they expect you to use the police man’s push-pull steering method. Can you be marked against this if you don’t do it when driving a lorry in a test?

Its my understanding that the only “test” you can have is a DVLA one. If you cross your hands its a fail.

Deffo fail. You have to “feed” the wheel.

Hello, things have changed regarding steering. The Prefered method is ten to two with push and pull, or 9pm and 3pm whilsts feeding the wheel. It doesn’t matter which way you do it as long as you are in FULL CONTROL

lee mc67:
Hello, things have changed regarding steering.

And, as it’s mentioned in the OP, it’s the same for the car test.

You can palm it when reversing though and have your seat belt off.

Deffo push-pull steering on the test. Someone on these forums suggested that your hands can ‘meet’ at the 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock positions on the steering wheel if you need to maximise the steering around a corner. Worked a treat for me.

lee mc67:
Hello, things have changed regarding steering. The Prefered method is ten to two with push and pull, or 9pm and 3pm whilsts feeding the wheel. It doesn’t matter which way you do it as long as you are in FULL CONTROL

Is the correct answer for ALL DSA tests

Most trainers will not tell the trainee this as the SAFEST method is PP and they don’t want trainees to start palming the wheel and possibly slip off the wheel and fail for not being in full control

So steering with your knees whilst rolling a ■■■ is out of the question then?

There is no question that to “push/pull” combined with starting at 12 and finishing at 6 methods are best. Easiest for the driver, safest, fastest.

But it’s quite wrong to suggest that crossing hands and/or palming will constitute an immediate fail. It’s acceptable to cross hands occasionally throughout the test provided the examiner considers the vehicle to be under control.

To suggest otherwise is an urban myth. We discourage candidates from crossing hands but it’s not to get too upset about. I can’t recall anyone failing for it - ever.

The best advice is always to listen to your instructor - he/she will also have the local knowlege and understand the local examiners’ take on it.

Best of luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I completely agree with Peter. You will not fail the test for occasionally crossing your hands or palming the wheel but trainers say don’t do it.

The reason that candidates feel the need to cross their hands is that they are attempting the manouvre ie turning left/right or roundabouts too fast to be able to push/pull. By telling them they must PP it naturally forces them to slow the vehicle speed down to the correct speed.

If a corner is taken a bit fast by mistake it is better to cross the hands than to hit the kerb (or anything else)

It’s all about getting the candidate to slow down. The fact the wheel is larger than in a car makes it easier to PP anyway as both hands are spread further apart.

There is no section on the test report sheet where you could automatically fail for crossing hands. Some may argue section 12 (vehicle control / steering) covers this but the steering section tends to deal more with mounting or brushing kerbs.

Regards

John
Flair Training

I like to think I have no bad driving habbits, (i always msm etc) mirror before braking and change of direction but one thing i’m just not comfortable with and that’s PP, hence my reason of asking.

Thanks gents :slight_smile:

Sam Millar:
I like to think I have no bad driving habbits, (i always msm etc) mirror before braking and change of direction but one thing i’m just not comfortable with and that’s PP, hence my reason of asking.

Thanks gents :slight_smile:

Many drivers say they struggle with PP but it usually turns out that they are not using all of the steering wheel and the reason for that can be the way in which they have set the seating and steering wheel rake

Set up the seating etc so that when your back is resting on the backrest of the seat, your wrists can touch the top of the steering wheel with your arms straight

Is the vehicle under control when being steered, that is what they are marking not any absolute technique. If a trainee used push/pull and was not deemed to be in control - fail. If a trainee’s streering was a little “free style” but with good control no probs.

Do worry about techique just about being seen to be in control of the vehicle especially when good steering control is needed.