Steep Hill A355 Amersham

Has anybody ever stalled their truck while climbing this steep continuous gradient :question: :question: When ever I go up in my fully freighted ’57 DAF CF I am reduced to 3rd gear at 23 mph on a good day, you get a good run up off the roundabout bit just dies’s half way up :exclamation: :exclamation: :blush: :blush: .

Has anybody climbed this hill and failed or even started to slide back down :question: :question:

My truck dont have a crawler gear :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :wink:

Chap I think you missing something. Is your CF a rigid and if so what size engine is it? The only hill that I have ever experienced that is difficult to get up is coming from Gregory Distribution at North Tawton. I also think that if you are doing 23mph in 3rd you may be ready to pop your engine. The torque is in the green band not blue or red. You shouldnt even have to think about using crawler gear even if you had it. If your engine is stalling your changing too late and letting the engine struggle.

wizzygti:
Chap I think you missing something. Is your CF a rigid and if so what size engine is it? The only hill that I have ever experienced that is difficult to get up is coming from Gregory Distribution at North Tawton. I also think that if you are doing 23mph in 3rd you may be ready to pop your engine. The torque is in the green band not blue or red. You shouldnt even have to think about using crawler gear even if you had it. If your engine is stalling your changing too late and letting the engine struggle.

bad choice of words :blush: :blush: :blush: its not so much steep (I don’t now what the gradient is on it) but it is long and continuous :exclamation: .

It’s a rigid :blush: :blush: ; don’t know what engine size is, just what ever the standard one is. I kept it in the greenish, it didn’t like 4th though, had foot to the floor and it just slowly but surly climbed the hill at about 23-25 mph. thank god for crawler lanes

the crawler gear comment was made TIC :exclamation: :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Managed to get a top speed of 21mph going up telegraph hill :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: That was in a rigid merc axor, our company decided to buy the axors with a smart car engine :laughing: :laughing:

bubsy06:
Managed to get a top speed of 21mph going up telegraph hill :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: That was in a rigid merc axor, our company decided to buy the axors with a smart car engine :laughing: :laughing:

would that be the one comming out of bath? how dare ya say my lorry struggles up there lol :slight_smile:

Trucker beads:

bubsy06:

would that be the one comming out of bath? how dare ya say my lorry struggles up there lol :slight_smile:

:laughing: No its the hill on the way to Torquay and Adam’s lorry don’t like going up it.

bubsy06:
our company decided to buy the axors with a smart car engine :laughing: :laughing:

think your self lucky, our trucks are powered by elastic bands :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pecjam23:

bubsy06:
our company decided to buy the axors with a smart car engine :laughing: :laughing:

think your self lucky, our trucks are powered by elastic bands :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: Whats your MPW (miles per wind)?

bubsy06:

pecjam23:

bubsy06:

:laughing: :laughing: Whats your MPW (miles per wind)?

about 500 :exclamation: miles :exclamation: i wish, meters per wind i think you mean.

we have to reverse the truck to wind the elastic band up then once you feel it getting tight let go of the brake it propells your forward, bit like those toy cars you had when you were a kid, push them back until you feel it wont go anymore then let go and is zips forward :exclamation:

our trucks dont do well when it get cold in winter mind :exclamation: :angry: :angry:

pecjam23:

wizzygti:

bad choice of words :blush: :blush: :blush: its not so much steep (I don’t now what the gradient is on it) but it is long and continuous :exclamation: .

It’s a rigid :blush: :blush: ; don’t know what engine size is, just what ever the standard one is. I kept it in the greenish, it didn’t like 4th though, had foot to the floor and it just slowly but surly climbed the hill at about 23-25 mph. thank god for crawler lanes

the crawler gear comment was made TIC :exclamation: :wink: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I can grant you that you do have to drive a small rigid harder abit like you stole it. They arent that bad. All gears can be used there`s no law against it. Good luck if you ever get to telegraph hill or the on i told you about in North Tawton