Staying Occupied

So I know you should be keeping yoru eyes on the road etc :unamused: :wink: but what do you do to keep occupied? Like is there a certain radio station you listen to, especially at night? Anything else you do to make the time pass in a bit quicker?

I listen to a lot of podcasts

Stricko:

I thought about doing that but I’m in a 55 Merc and the radio in it is quite old with no input options for my iPhone etc, only other option I think would be to buy a small set of external speakers on a 3.5mil jack but I’d rather not lol

When doing nights, i listen to talksport the phone ins can get you well worked up :smiley:

I usually pop a DVD on or play solitare on my phone whilst on a boring long drive. :confused:

X hamster and Kleenex

Sam Millar:

Stricko:

I thought about doing that but I’m in a 55 Merc and the radio in it is quite old with no input options for my iPhone etc, only other option I think would be to buy a small set of external speakers on a 3.5mil jack but I’d rather not lol

I use a little 12v fm transmitter which plugs into my phone and tune it to 87.6. Provided you’re not in London or Birmingham you should have interference free listening for your music and podcasts. I also use it to watch telly in surround sound.

Most of my driving career was spent driving at night. Phone-ins are good, as are documentaries, plays and comedies on Radio 4. I used to find that music on a night run used to send me off a bit. Radio 4 and the World service were a god-send in Euroland.

I used to try and estimate how much fuel I had in the tank, how many miles I’d done since I last filled up and work out how many more miles i had left in the tank, all in my head just to keep the old noggin ticking over and stay alert. That was in the days before fancy trip computers mind…

cypry0:
When doing nights, i listen to talksport the phone ins can get you well worked up :smiley:

Not the same since ian Collins left,and 40 mins a week of podcast ain’t enough, and now its 24 hr sport you don’t get the hilarious nutjobs calling early hours

Look for fanny coming past in their cars with little skirts on :wink:

I used to work with a guy actually who plugged something into his iPhone at the bottom, and it would be connected to the ciggy lighter, and whatever was playing on the phone it would be sent to the speakers in the lorry.

Any ideas anyone?

Derf:
I used to try and estimate how much fuel I had in the tank, how many miles I’d done since I last filled up and work out how many more miles i had left in the tank, all in my head just to keep the old noggin ticking over and stay alert. That was in the days before fancy trip computers mind…

I do the same, working out maths in my head. How long to the next stop or converting road sign distances into kilometres.

Apple core Archery is also good fun…

Eat an apple, open passenger window, then try and lob the core across the cab, out the window and hit a countdown marker (deduct 20 points if it splatters all over your quaterlight or mirror) - I started off on the large motorway signs, but found that too easy. Countdown markers are more of a challenge.

I use up my windscreen washer fluid by seeing how many overtaking cars I can cause to use theirs.

Keep a look out for vosa.

franklin:
I use up my windscreen washer fluid by seeing how many overtaking cars I can cause to use theirs.

LOL great.

Unfortunately my washer jets are in need of realignment as they are well and truly f’d. :smiley:

Derf:
Apple core Archery is also good fun…

Eat an apple, open passenger window, then try and lob the core across the cab, out the window and hit a countdown marker (deduct 20 points if it splatters all over your quaterlight or mirror) - I started off on the large motorway signs, but found that too easy. Countdown markers are more of a challenge.

surely a HATO 4x4 would be top marks?

Listen to talk radio, talksport or radio 5. The debates and arguments keep me awake.

Snarley:
Listen to talk radio, talksport or radio 5. The debates and arguments keep me awake.

What freq’s are these?

I listen to talk sport when on nights, also when around brum between 10pm and midnight I listen to BRMB or whatever is it with Caroline, you get some right funny stories people come out with when they phone in.

In the day it’s not so bad but I try and work out the trucks going the other way where they have been or where they are going depending on where they are based.