Stay in the middle one

Overheard at a junior…

School. Whilst waiting for the little cherubs to come out, a newly passed mum was chatting with other mums. The consensus of opinion was “a little tip for when you’re on the motorway, just stay in the middle lane. It’s much easier.”

yourhavingalarf:
Overheard at a junior…

School. Whilst waiting for the little cherubs to come out, a newly passed mum was chatting with other mums. The consensus of opinion was “a little tip for when you’re on the motorway, just stay in the middle lane. It’s much easier.”

It’s not just newly passed people or mum’s that can’t obey a simple traffic rule like keep left unless overtaking.

I see plenty of people often in flash cars with a sense of self arrogance hogging whichever lane they feel like even more so at night on motorways.

People think they are entitled to do as they please and to hell with anyone else.

Same with slip roads that join into a merging lane of a motorway and won’t let slower traffic move back left and undertake especially trucks at crazy speeds.

Standards of driving have declined a heck of a lot over the 26 years or whatever I have been driving. Same as coming up to standing traffic when someone is trying to turn right out of junction and blocking the junction. People just don’t look further than the bonnet of their car and have no sense of rodcraft or couteousy.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

To be fair so long as you’re travelling at a faster speed than traffic in lane 1, including trucks obviously limited to 56 mph, it’s correct.
Also in a world of weaponised speed enforcement, the issue of enforced elephant racing slow overtakes, being conflated with lane hogging, by those willing to risk their licences, is an increasing problem.

In fact you only have to go shopping to see how people just don’t care, stopping anywhere to have a chat and blocking the aisles or causing mayhem because they are more important than anyone else. if people can’t even drive a shopping trolley round a supermarket how do you expect them to drive a vehicle sensibly.

Same with going upstairs, even though there is no written rule how many times do people not keep to the left going up and left going down, it makes it easier for everyone if simple rules are followed.

It’s mostly general ignorance and self importance. And often down to people in a hurry.

I had two vehicles yesterday, one within a 50mph limit, turned out of a side road and had no intention to accelerate, doing 35mph causing me and traffic behind me to slow down., Clearly did not look properly and judge the oncoming speed of vehicles, and didn’t check his mirrors after pulling out either. Then again at a junction on a 40mph road, just pulled out when I was almost on top of it, with lads on bikes just ahead causing me to come to an almost complete standstill and the overtook the cyclist with another car coming the other way and inches from the cyclist. I’m no fan of cyclists but I give them room and space even if it means having to sit behind them until I can overtake in the car or the truck

Ain’t just cars either, a lot of trucks in there hogging lane 2.
Something you NEVER saw once over…car drivers with a truck licence syndrome?

robroy:

That’s exactly what it is, too many people driving a truck that shouldn’t even of considered driving one. Especially since the 60k guff all over the media.
Trucks too easy to drive now that they are auto, test is too easy now especially as can do it in an auto, absolutely ridiculous the amount of princesses that refuse to drive manual simply because they can’t. Places too easy to find now since Google maps ect, long gone are the days of the A-Z. Hardly and interacting with the load so led in a bunk watching Netflix while getting tipped, god forbid put a sheet on a flat. No route planning needed as arse wiped by management and given specific instructions how to complete jobs. Some of these changes are for the good but it has attracted the wrong type of people into the industry and standards have fallen as a result

+1. There’s a lot of people driving lorries now who would’ve never been given a job in the past. Beyond clueless.

I saw a great one the other night on the M6 Northbound around J32 Blackpool slip, a volvo passed me, I was in lane 1 and he kept going in lane 2 for a good 1/2 mile, a car came up behind him and after a minute flashed his lights, the volvo never moved, the car behind flashed again, the volvo still never moved, then the blues came on, he moved very quickly, I thought they might have pulled him, but they decided not to, kinda made my night.

Sapper

Night-and-day:

robroy:

That’s exactly what it is, too many people driving a truck that shouldn’t even of considered driving one. Especially since the 60k guff all over the media.
Trucks too easy to drive now that they are auto, test is too easy now especially as can do it in an auto, absolutely ridiculous the amount of princesses that refuse to drive manual simply because they can’t. Places too easy to find now since Google maps ect, long gone are the days of the A-Z. Hardly and interacting with the load so led in a bunk watching Netflix while getting tipped, god forbid put a sheet on a flat. No route planning needed as arse wiped by management and given specific instructions how to complete jobs. Some of these changes are for the good but it has attracted the wrong type of people into the industry and standards have fallen as a result

I usually drive right old nails. Had to take a newish motor out so had a look at it. I didnt expect a gear stick but there wasnt even a selector. It had a rotory switch on a stalk ,clock wise and N becomes D and anti clock wise N becomes R and that is all that there is to it. Point it down the road. I retire soon!

Ah yes, the folks who choose what lane to use over breakfast.

Iveco had 3 buttons on the dash. D N R :open_mouth:

robroy:

Now that’s an interesting one. My bugbear is 2-lane mways/dual carriageways. My truck is quite fast but uphills as they dont have hills in Holland and its a DAF you have to think about it a bit. So M11 syndrone, after Stansted NB. Car/van drivers acting like prats. I try to overtake a truck then get in alowing some cars/vans to pass then when I catch plobber ahead, I’ll repeat.

What hacks me off are the truckies who seem to think that they dont share the road with others and wont let you back in when the grade starts to work against you. FFS just take it off a few clicks. Not hard. That way people get less frustrated and most (but not all) car/van drivers appreciate that. It is the dual that is the problem. In a three/four lane mway, not so much of an issue.

Sand Fisher:

robroy:

Now that’s an interesting one. My bugbear is 2-lane mways/dual carriageways. My truck is quite fast but uphills as they dont have hills in Holland and its a DAF you have to think about it a bit. So M11 syndrone, after Stansted NB. Car/van drivers acting like prats. I try to overtake a truck then get in alowing some cars/vans to pass then when I catch plobber ahead, I’ll repeat.

What hacks me off are the truckies who seem to think that they dont share the road with others and wont let you back in when the grade starts to work against you. FFS just take it off a few clicks. Not hard. That way people get less frustrated and most (but not all) car/van drivers appreciate that. It is the dual that is the problem. In a three/four lane mway, not so much of an issue.

Or . . dont start to overtake if you are approaching an upward gradient :bulb:

How about ^^^^ instead of them taking a few klicks off you instead plan ahead and take a few klicks off prior to attempting your overtake when you know that gravity is shortly gonna work against you and not attempt the overtake in the first place?

It’s about both parties planning, not just one.

Suedehead beat me to it :smiley:

Suedehead:

Sand Fisher:

robroy:

Or . . dont start to overtake if you are approaching an upward gradient :bulb:

What!
Actually stay behind a vehicle that can go up hill faster than he can?

Beaten to it twice!

Sand Fisher:
What hacks me off are the truckies who seem to think that they dont share the road with others and wont let you back in when the grade starts to work against you. FFS just take it off a few clicks.

It’s not really fair to expect an already slower vehicle to slow down even more to assist an ill judged overtake. We’ve all been caught out by inclines on unfamiliar roads but many hills on motorways we know are coming given how often we drive up them.

The worst place for this is that last big hill on the A14 approaching the M6/M1. It actually becomes 7.5t restricted as you start to go up it and almost every time I see clowns attempting overtakes up here knowing they’re not gonna make it and even if they can they’re breaking the law to do it.

Don’t worry though, it’s not like driving in the outside lane of a motorway. It’s different somehow and I’m sure the traffic police would let you off with it.

the maoster:
How about ^^^^ instead of them taking a few klicks off you instead plan ahead and take a few klicks off prior to attempting your overtake when you know that gravity is shortly gonna work against you and not attempt the overtake in the first place?

It’s about both parties planning, not just one.

Suedehead beat me to it :smiley:

Ahh but is it gravity that comes into effect. I would thought it was more of a momentum thing/power to weight ratio (was ■■■■ at physics CF would know) , bit of common wouldnt go amiss

58mph solves the problem for overtaking lol and dropping down a gear when you are heavyish and know there is an incline coming.

simcor:
dropping down a gear when you are heavyish and know there is an incline coming.

^ Yep it needs to be at peak power not peak torque before starting to climb then downshift back to peak power when it falls back to peak torque.
The better the peak torque figure the later that downshift can be and the faster it will climb.SDU among others obviously won’t agree.