Staveley Lime Products / John Biesty Transport / Peakstone

Here’s a brilliant shot of the yard at Hindlow from 1979. One of the Routeman tippers can be made out and it appears to be in Staveley livery.

Some more oldies I’ve managed to scramble into some sort of sense !

Excellent! I remember those vehicles well. Have you any more of the tankers? My father had NFA 112P brand new for Staveley Lime, one of the very first B Series tractors in the area. I would love to see a picture of that. Prior to that he had an M reg. A Series and prior to that this L reg LV , bottom right.

I’m unsure whether I have any of the B series you refer to,but I do have a couple more pics of tankers somewhere;one is a T.reg,the other I’m sure is an R.
I also have the publication that the ERF LV artic is in.It’s from Chassis magazine,the ERF inhouse publication.

Here’s a few more of them. Apologies for the poor quality photo’s

Truly wonderful series of pics there that I’ve never seen before ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Forgot how many Fodens they had in their tipper fleet.I’m presuming that the S80s had Biesty Livery while the newer S83s had the Peakstone motif ?
Also remember the Haulmaster tipper very well.This ran for a short while then was put to work on tanker duties out of Beswicks Lime Works (Hindlow).
The time of the photo line up of the Foden tippers,was there also a routeman in Beisty colours floating around Dove quarry ? I can vaguely remember it fitted with a sealed lid on it’s Mackworth body and it was permanently employed on dust duties emptying Via Nova tar plant of filler.

Great old photos. My mate used to drive for a firm called Barlow & Hodgekinson from Buxton, do you remember them?. They ran a fleet of Fodens which always looked a bit ropey if i,m honest!!

BonkeyDollocks:
Truly wonderful series of pics there that I’ve never seen before ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Forgot how many Fodens they had in their tipper fleet.I’m presuming that the S80s had Biesty Livery while the newer S83s had the Peakstone motif ?
Also remember the Haulmaster tipper very well.This ran for a short while then was put to work on tanker duties out of Beswicks Lime Works (Hindlow).
The time of the photo line up of the Foden tippers,was there also a routeman in Beisty colours floating around Dove quarry ? I can vaguely remember it fitted with a sealed lid on it’s Mackworth body and it was permanently employed on dust duties emptying Via Nova tar plant of filler.

When Staveley bought John Beisty Transport, it was an ageing fleet of AEC and Albions that were pretty quickly replaced by Foden 8 wheelers, (although there was one 8 wheeler A Series ERF with a 220 ■■■■■■■ on the fleet) and the ERF 6 wheelers. There were 2 Leyland Clydesdale 4 wheelers one of which can clearly be seen and also 2 Sed Ak 200 Series which can just be made out. The only Routemans I remember seeing are two as cranes which again were replaced by Fodens.

The Peakstone livery was then applied to the tanks based at Hindlow. The S83 in the first set of pictures was the first to receive it hence the dual livery.

The company was soon however bought by RMC and Leylands replaced the Sandbach tippers. When RMC was in financial difficulty it had to sell the prize lime works at Hindlow to Belgium company Lhoist who stuck with the Fodens which RMC had by this time been persuaded to replace the Leylands with.

Mark R:
Great old photos. My mate used to drive for a firm called Barlow & Hodgekinson from Buxton, do you remember them?. They ran a fleet of Fodens which always looked a bit ropey if i,m honest!!

Indeed I do! Derek Barlow is now 87 and still living in Biggin. For years they ran Gardner powered 8 wheeler Fodens. then in 85/86 he had an about turn and bought a batch of half a dozen or so brand new 6x4 tractors with 320 ■■■■■■■ power and new trailers. Packed in some while ago but the yard, offices, garage and pumps are still there.

When Staveley bought John Beisty Transport, it was an ageing fleet of AEC and Albions that were pretty quickly replaced by Foden 8 wheelers, (although there was one 8 wheeler A Series ERF with a 220 ■■■■■■■ on the fleet) and the ERF 6 wheelers. There were 2 Leyland Clydesdale 4 wheelers one of which can clearly be seen and also 2 Sed Ak 200 Series which can just be made out. The only Routemans I remember seeing are two as cranes which again were replaced by Fodens.

I always remember seeing the Staveley tippers on their way through my home town of Buxton,Derbyshire and they were always a fantastic sight to see along with the old khaki coloured fleet of Tarmac Roadstone Holdings Ltd.
I mentioned the Routeman tipper as recently I got in touch with a guy who used to work as a fitter at Dove and Hindlow quarries and he gave me a truly extensive fleet registrar of all lorries owned by Peakstone / Beisty and Staveley.
Some photos too,but not many sadly.
Would you like a copy of said register of vehicles ?

BonkeyDollocks:
recently I got in touch with a guy who used to work as a fitter at Dove and Hindlow quarries and he gave me a truly extensive fleet registrar of all lorries owned by Peakstone / Beisty and Staveley.
Some photos too,but not many sadly.
Would you like a copy of said register of vehicles ?

That would be David “Lord Foden” Keyworth then. A copy would be good thanks, as mentioned I’m really looking for a picture of NFA 112P and also an A series ERF, PRB 830M. I believe the legendary truckerash has some Staveley tankers lurking in his collection but they’re probably someway down on his itinery as for making an appearance.

It is indeed Mr Keyworth esq.A very nice man to speak in every sense.
PM me your address and I will sort out copies for you gratis.
BTW,Even he remembers the Biesty Routeman tipper that ran (eventually) on dust duties.And PS,do you have any more photos ? I’m in the process of getting more up on here. :wink:

Been sorting through some pictures and came across this one :slight_smile:

Very very nice.I might have this one already but in B/W.(Bought from Gaydon last June)
Looks far better in colour.Always thought the livery of SLP was pleasing to the eye.And BTW LM,do you have any other insulated tipper pics ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Driven for the company by Steve Degg,passed into private ownership.owned at the time of the pic by Jock Patterson.

WRR 495S. Another Clydesdale, ex Staveley Lime and saw out its days working for them on the bagged stuff.

The Haulmaster referred to earlier, and no thats not me.

You wouldn’t have seen this one tipping tarmac.

That might not be you,Limey,but I know who it is ! :wink: :smiley:

a href="http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh90/bob

a href="http://s254.photobucket

Photobucket