Staveley Lime Products / John Biesty Transport / Peakstone

What were the 2 old women looking at on the left ? Were thier heads being turned by an ERF going past :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
What were the 2 old women looking at on the left ? Were thier heads being turned by an ERF going past :laughing:

Yes i think you’re right, they couldn’t quite believe that cabs that could get woodworm were still an
option in that day and age!

If you look closely Dot is holding up her stick making her point to best mate Flo !

Moose:

Punchy Dan:

Yes i think you’re right, they couldn’t quite believe that cabs that could get woodworm were still an
option in that day and age!

If you look closely Dot is holding up her stick making her point to best mate Flo !

Well it wasn’t DK going past in his yank that’s for sure :laughing:

Pre Staveley days but here’s a pic of hindlow quarry when owned by Beswicks.

DA940BFA-325D-4168-B909-178D31AE791B.jpeg

Ex Biesty Scammell in a different livery + different body but still showing the Biesty name on headboard (Photo from Paul Gees collection on the old timers thread) I dont know who owned it at this time.

Next two photos compliments of Paul (moomooland)
John Biesty 3 way.jpg
This one taken outside their old yard in Collyhurst Manchester before they moved about 500yards down the road into the old gasworks depot they still had 2 or 3 of this model parked in the corner when i started working for them in the garage albeit not being used…

No lorry in shot but no less interesting I’m sure for Mr Stanny :wink:

23697630-B269-4FE4-BEF3-06066D12585B.jpeg

Hi BD that building was still standing when i started working for Biestys in 69 but the whole area was in the process of being demolished around that time.They had moved down the road to the old Gas works yard where they built a new 4 bay workshop and offices to use along side the original workshop which was already their and there was also a weighbridge on site, the yard is now being used for carparking and garage still in use albeit car repairs.
This is a photo of the new yard around 1958 the building you can see was pulled down and the new office block was built in its place.The building in the 2nd photo you can see with the steps going up to it was the weighbridge all the other building were demolished.

Here’s one for Limey to pick the bones out of:

The lesser spotted A series ERF on a publicity shot. Possibly brand new?

BonkeyDollocks:
Here’s one for Limey to pick the bones out of:

Erm, Wow.

Right, in the centre we can see a six wheel ERF tank that was originally in Staveley colours but repainted in JB for some strange reason. Next to it is LRC 55K a drop sided six wheel tipper driven by the wonderful Chris Holt. Next to that is one of the two Foden S39’s and next to that is tantalisingly one of the artics with the unit obscured. It could be the so far elusive A Series, PRB 830M, (the ERF in front of the wrecker in the grave yard area is the L reg that preceded it) or NFA 112P. In the car park can be seen the two transits that collected the workforce (different times) the older one to the right for the workforce and the more modern one to the left for office staff.

BonkeyDollocks:
The lesser spotted A series ERF on a publicity shot. Possibly brand new?

…and powered by a 220 ■■■■■■■■

IMG_0163.JPGDon’ think we’ve had Eric Wardle and his E290 powered C series yet.

Couple of pics of Dove Holes quarry early 70s. The two tarmac plants hadn’t been erected at this point.

E3D23EFB-E589-4D09-903C-51D375D5CF57.jpeg

280ED116-2E88-4D64-917B-647669C5DA6F.jpeg

Few more …

BonkeyDollocks:
Couple of pics of Dove Holes quarry early 70s. The two tarmac plants hadn’t been erected at this point.

That would be back when there were Peak and Holderness quarries . Did you know that the big rock at the front of the second pic had a walkway bored through it ? Peak was a ■■■■■ , down a steep access and the chatter bins were always knee deep in water . Dave

Found this in an article about Edbro tippers by Ian Fairclough from Australia in the November
Vintage Roadscene magazine.
Short wheelbase Austin Loadstar owned by John Biesty Transport who were working on contract to Coopers sand.

Cracking photos there , Thanks for posting it. Those Austins were quite popular in their day, Regards Larry.

Here’s an oddity I came across when searching the internet for something else. An obscure TV show from 1975 that has footage showing the Staveley quarry at Hindlow.
Forward to 00:40 and 40:02 for (sadly brief) glimpses of the quarry:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_pTzBqrQ0s

Here’s one from 1965 just a little down from Hindlow quarry. NMP