Stats -roadside v B&B overnight stops

Hello, I’m conducting a study on the numbers of drivers that take a sleep break by the road (designated or popular stopping areas) and those that sleep in a local hotel or B&B.

Can anyone direct me to a good reliable source for these statistics for the UK please?

In percentage terms, it must be less than one, I would of thought, that use motels ect.

This is a bit of a guess - do employers have to keep a record of hotel expenses and tax free night out payments and give a figure to HMRC?

If so that might be your best bet.

99.9% of the time drivers will sleep in the cab. i can only remember a handful of times that i’ve used a hotel or a cell. in fact, i’ve been in a cell more often than a hotel. :laughing:

Easy
sleeper cab 100% in cab
day cab 100% hotel
servey complete

Thanks for all replies so far. Am I right in thinking that everyone sleeps in their cab if they are given an allowance for overnight accommodation then? Makes sense to me, but don’t some operators insist on overnight stops out of the cab? (i.e. you can’t claim the expense unless a genuine receipt presented).
I like the idea of free accommodation at her majesty’s expense, but I think the cab if still more comfortable. :stuck_out_tongue:

Never personally heard of an operator preferring a hotel etc if you have a sleeper cab.

Majority of the time cheaper to be in the cab although not always if parking at an MSA. I.e night out allowance plus parking can be £50+ for employer.

Also convenience if sleeping in the cab I.e sleep where you park (layby/ind estate)

Might depend on the job, in Motorsport many drivers still stay in hotels. The agreement with my boss is that we have single room in a hotel if we double man the truck and when single manning we still have the option of using hotels, but it’s not always practical due to trying to find a hotel we can park the truck near enough to.

In fact I’m staying in a hotel in France tonight on my way home from Italy, but I did stay in the cab at the circuit last night.

I also believe the tour industry will put the second driver in a hotel,

Very rare an operator would “insist” on overnight stops out of the cab and no one would pay an accommodation allowance for a hotel if the driver didn’t actually use the hotel.

The night out allowance for sleeper cab units is about £25 that can be paid to the driver tax free this is to cover food and sundries not to pay toward a hotel or parking fee. The allowance is higher for non sleeper cabs, I don’t know if this is to go toward digs or just higher probably cost of food in hotel etc.