Startup advice

Hi guys I’m a new member and would value any advice you could give me regarding startup,for example how to find an operting centre and setting up bunkering.Should I get an accontant on board straight away? Is it better to get a r+m agreement with an independant garage or an actual dealership?

Hello Kram and Welcome.

You are pickinga tough time to start and the key to everything is having a reliable source of income, i.e. plenty of work.

To deal with the specifics of your post I would say that finding an operating centre would involve looking locally, perhaps established haulage yards or farms etc. You need to be out of the way or barely noticeable to the general public or you’ll have problems. New yards near town centres tend to attract the attention of VOSA/local councils and there best keeping their noses out!

I wouldn’t bother with fuel bunkering, that tends to be for the big boys. Either get a fuel card from one of the many fuel card providers (pick one that doesn’t require a bond up front) or get a credit card with a 2-3k per month limit that is attatched to your business account. Keep business and personal finances seperate, makes things easier down the line.

Depending on the work your gonna be doing, I would buy an older vehicle and steer clear of R+M. I’ve heard too many stories of main dealers not doing their job properly. This is just as likely with an independant garage but they will be a lot cheaper with it! A good independant garage is worth its weight in gold. Pick a truck wisely, take someone who knows what they are doing and be choosy. Even if it costs you a few bob travelling etc, picking a good un’ is 100% worth it. Steer clear of uneccessary bling and massive power if you don’t need it.

As for accountants, I never bothered until about three months before the end of my 1st year. Definately something to think about down the line. All I did was number and list every invoice and remittance I received and put it down on a spreadsheet. That reduced the cost of the accountant and made his life and mine a lot easier. Its also cheaper. Me and my mate have the same accountant. I keep my books in good order, he throws everything into a bin bag and leaves the accountant to do it at the end of the year. I get charged 400quid, he gets charged 750!

Does this help - Becoming an Owner Driver from roadtransport.com