Starting practical training this week!

As title says. Start practical and cpc mod 4 training on Friday with Tyne & Wear LGV; passed hazard perception, theory multiple choice, and cpc mod 2 a few weeks ago with flying colours. Since then I’ve been readiing training threads on here, as well as watching youtube tutorial videos and adapting the way I drive my car: using nearside mirrors in and out of roundabouts, not using rearview mirror, slowing down sooner, using breaks to slow down (and not gears, as pointed out in my assesment at tyne and wear lgv a few weeks ago).

What I’m asking is, is there anything else I have maybe over looked that will help prepare me for my training? I want to give myself the best possible chance so that by the 3rd day (I’ve got 5 days then test on 6th) I’m properly confident. My main problems during the assesment drive was obviously length of the lorry, but also being sat so far forward/no bonnet stretching out infront of me; these will only come with time in the lorry tho.

Be patient and don’t be in a rush to do things like gear changes etc even pulling onto a roundabout if your not sure…wait it’s better to get a minor for hesitation than a fail for pulling out on someone.
Mirrors you may think like I did that you make plenty of mirror checks. You don’t. Even if you don’t think you need to just check them anyway and not just a glance make sure the person sitting next to you can see that your checking. Just take your time and listen to what the instructor tells you. The flat front of a truck is better imo as the corners are easier to see, the length of the truck will come naturally but just take it easy and give yourself plenty of room. And finally always expect the unexpected!
I’m starting my c+e training tomorrow and I keep going through the above, when I started my c training I found I was in too much of a rush which doesn’t go well with a truck lol.
Good luck and keep us posted…and do t forget them mirrors. :wink:

parkus:
What I’m asking is, is there anything else I have maybe over looked that will help prepare me for my training? I want to give myself the best possible chance

Got a mate who is an advanced driver? - if yes then get them to ride shotgun in your car for an hour or so

What do you mean by advanced driver ROG? Me dad drives artics for a living but it’s mostly agency/ltd co work down south so it’s not even like a can sit in with him for a day like a used to when a was a kid.

Test is next Thursday, but am I able to send off for my digi tacho card now or do I have to wait until I’ve passed?

parkus:
What do you mean by advanced driver ROG? Me dad drives artics for a living but it’s mostly agency/ltd co work down south so it’s not even like a can sit in with him for a day like a used to when a was a kid.

Test is next Thursday, but am I able to send off for my digi tacho card now or do I have to wait until I’ve passed?

Contact local advanced driving group and see if they have someone who will go out with you for an hour or so in your car