Starting out......

Hi
Hope you can help. I have registered on here because I want to be a driver. I am 42 years old and have had an office based job for the last 26 years. Having read some info on this site yesterday I have received a quote today to do my training through a company based in Banbury. I have been quoted £2300 for Cat C and C+E.

This is the start of a brand new journey for me and I was hoping I could get some invaluable advice to get me started.

What else do I need to consider?

Thanks in advance…

Hi Rich.

Welcome to the forum, you really will get great advice on here there are loads of very experienced drivers and owners on here.

As for advice, all i can say is go with what you want to do, but remember driving is nothing like an office job, there are long hours, tiredness, you wont be home on time eveynight and if your staying away be prepeared to sleep in the cab not a nice comfy bed.

But on the other hand, there is some great things to see, many wonderfull people to meet and make friends with and most dont have someone looking over there shoulder all day, apart from the tracking system that is?

Hope thats a little towards help

Madguy. :imp:

Thanks Madguy
That’s great for starters. The fact that it is nothing like an office job is exactly the reason I want to do it. I am used to long hours and understand that there are pros and cons.

Is there any way I can check the credibility of the training company that I am in contact with?

Richierich:
Thanks Madguy
That’s great for starters. The fact that it is nothing like an office job is exactly the reason I want to do it. I am used to long hours and understand that there are pros and cons.

Is there any way I can check the credibility of the training company that I am in contact with?

The main rule of thumb is to stay away from brokers, these are the middle men that take your money and send you on to a trainer, sometimes as long as they dont go bump.

The best bet is to go straight to a trainer who has the business, there are plenty of info on the site and a list of decent trainers, theres a guy called peter smythe, he,s based in mansfield nottingham, he has a great reputation and is highly thought of on here and if your not local he also offers a live in course at no extra cost, if your based Cov-Leicester way i can strongly recommend Hughs driver training, A1 HGV Taining there based in Leicestershire and have a few depots including one near Daventry, I did mine with them and cant speak highly enough of them.

If your further down south there is flair hgv training, again highly thought of on here, i think before you sign up to someone, go see them and tnere premises/ vehicles then come back and ask if anyone knows them that way you will get negative or feedback if there known.

Remeber its your hard earned money so spend it wisely, trainers are like builders, if there available now ask why, if you have to wait because there fully booked theres useally a good reason- because there good.

Hope thats somewhat helpful but dont be afraid to ask, as many on here say the only daft question is the one that isnt asked.

Madguy :imp:

Thanks that’s really helpful…they are called JLD driver training and are based in Banbury and Abingdon…I have had an email from them already and they seem quite reputable…

The other question I have is around classification…I know that I need Cat C and C+E but where does driver CPC fit in?

Recommended training companies from members

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44667&p=503949#p503949

Animal has just posted for you what i was looking for so thanks for that, and as for cpc info pop back to the main page and look for a thread CPC…again,

We have been discussing it there as it all depends on when you passed you. Car test etc.

As i have found out , you will find everything on here, if your thinking it others have discussed it so this really is the best place to get info, and again never be shy to ask

Madguy. :imp:

A car test pass before 1/1/97 would give you cat. C1 and therefore aquired cpc rights until Sep 2014 meaning no requirement for the initial cpc.

Thanks that’s great …I knew that I had cat C1 because of my car test but I did not know that Driver CPC was included! I am learning so much thanks to you lot!

Welcome to the madness. I have been driving wagons and buses for 16 years and would never want to work under a roof again.Ask us any question you like cos we have all of the answers!The wages are not great bye the way.

As people have said do your homework and go and see the training company in person some offer a free assesment drive and that will give you an idea of how training your going to require also gives you an idea of how they are with you , mentioned on here Peter Smyth give him a ring or Sean at EP training both really nice guys and wont put pressure on you to sign up but will be able to offer you sound advice , its a lot of money to part with and you need to know your spending it wisely
good luck with it all

Jen x