Starting Out

As I am new to the forum , but have many years of experience in the road haulage industry as a driver and also a transport manager with cpc freight national and international I thought I would put my two pence worth in on this subject.
I did the usual thing of starting out driving 7.5 tonners on my car licence then passed my class 2 then onto my class 1 a couple of years later.
Spent a great deal of my driving career working for agencies. I know they seem to have a bad rep, but for the newbie driver starting out they are usually the only way of getting that vital experience that most transport companies want. It also gives you the opportunity to drive many different makes and models of vehicles as well as working for numerous different companies. It all adds up at the end of the day. My agency at the time even put me through my air cargo security ticket (post 9/11) and also my ADR.
I don’t want to put the frightners onto any potential newbies either, but you should be aware that it isn’t always fantasic, spangly new truck, clean palletised forlift unloading, clear congestion free roads, polite traffic planners/warehouse staff and nice clean places to park overnight.
The cold hard reality of life as a professional truck driver can be very tough at times. Don’t get me wrong. When it was good it was proper good, but when it was bad then it was seriously bad.
The rewards are also there as long as you are willing to put the hours in as you can earn some great money. However if you want to be finished at 5.00 pm and home by half past every day of the week then truck driving will not be for you.
Now I have put my two pence worth in do you still want to be a truck driver■■?

Welcome to the newbie forum Malc, although not a newbie, its a great place for that post. My career path mirrors yours and I suppose it depends on the 44 in your user name, is it 1944 or your age?

The only thing I disagree with is employment agencies. I believe they are a replacement for freight forwarders and clearing houses who sit with a telephone and desk and take proper work from blokes.

Otherwise your heads up is good, it is hard work, long hours and we are treated like a dog turd most of the time.

Hey Wheel nut,
In some respects I still miss it in some weired way, but when I look out of the window and is is cold, raining and dark outside that longing to be back out driving seems to dissapear. And also the fact that I cannot drive heavies anymore due to my epilepsy. It is not that I want to it is that I cant.
All the best…

WELCOME Malc44

There is also the current economic/job market which is probably very different from when you started out

I remember the late 70s and early 80s when you could have a different job with a different employer every day of the week if that took your fancy (not agency)

Hello Rog,
I agree with you on the availability of jobs. There has always (for as long as I can remember) been a shortage of truck drivers in this country. As I have been out of the loop for a while don’t know if that is still the case. I assume it is. Although with the opening of Europe, drivers from other member states can work in the uk.

Malc44:
Hello Rog,
I agree with you on the availability of jobs. There has always (for as long as I can remember) been a shortage of truck drivers in this country. As I have been out of the loop for a while don’t know if that is still the case. I assume it is. Although with the opening of Europe, drivers from other member states can work in the uk.

I think you will find that there is no current shortage of LGV drivers in GENERAL but there may be areas which do

If there was a shortage then companies and agencies would be pestering LGV training schools for referalls