Starting out (Literally)

Hi Guys…I’m new here and this is my first post…please be gentle with me!

I’m 54 years old and thinking of driving a truck, Cat C to start with. Am I too old to be even thinking about it? :unamused:

I’m never been near anything other than a car and am a bit concerned about the training aspects, especially the theory and cpc mode 4 tests. I know I’m not alone, and it may be a silly question but…how on earth am I supposed gain hands on experience in these things? Oh, I never passed my test until after 2000 even though my provisional has always had cat C1 included…does this make a difference?

I’m unemployed and I’m thinking I may have left it a bit late to learn, even though it’s something I’ve always wanted to do.

Thanks for taking the time to read this :slight_smile:

Before you go splashing your cash it might be an idea to go for a bit of driver training with the Institute of Advanced Motorists. This might point up any areas of your driving that need brushing up on or alternatively could reassure you ya still got it! Practice some stuff in your car. A favourite would be using your mirrors properly. Get that head swivelling from mirror to mirror every 10-15 seconds and really take note of what you see in them. When you go out in your car try and use the brakes as little as possible which will help improve your forward planning. Start reading your highway code, you’ll be surprised how much you don’t know! 54 is just a number. It’s what you can do that really counts.

Might also be worth having a look at the LGV theory test.

direct.gov.uk/en/diol1/doitonline/dg_4017669

You can try the mock test on the link.

Madguy :imp:

Hi Kevjd, welcome, :slight_smile: I am 50 yrs old and passed my cat C & CE a year ago, to be honest the theory and hazard perception tests shouldnt present any difficulties, not exactly rocket science :laughing: I also had never been near anything bigger than a small van. Would suggest you check out some training companys (not Brokers) and go for a free assessment drive or two, recommended trainers are listed on this forum.
Dont let the age thing put you off, nothing to lose, every thing to gain. :wink:
Good Luck

As above. Also have a look to see what the job situation is. Although this can be difficult as a lot of work is sourced face to face rather than by responding to one of the very few ads.

I recently trained a forum user who is a little more senior in years than you and he faced predjudice from another trainer! But age is no more than a number.

Make sure it’s something you really want to do otherwise you will end up truly miserable working long hours for not overmuch pay.

If you decide it’s for you, link up with a reputable trainer (always get recommendations and steer clear of training brokers) and the trainer should “hold your hand” all the way through it. Expect to part with the thick end of £1700 to reach CAT C and the driver cpc (which you will need). You will hear much lower prices but what I’ve suggested is truthful and includes details like VAT and test fees, medical etc etc.

All the best with whatever you decide. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Kev, welcome to the forum, 54 is no way too late I passed my cat C at 52. Anyway, the way things are going retirement age will probably be 70 by the time we get anywhere near it so you could have 15 years of driving ahead of you. Think of some of the jobs you’ve had and ask yourself if you want to do them for another 15 years. Also 54 is jut a number, a very, very, very big number! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
All the best
Rich

Peter Smythe:
I recently trained a forum user who is a little more senior in years than you and he faced predjudice from another trainer! But age is no more than a number.

:smiley: Pete, you do have a way with words. :slight_smile:

Kev, even before I read Pete’s post I had decided to answer your ‘age’ question. I am a little more senior than you, 6 years more senior actually. Age is only an issue if you make it so. I did C and CE back-to-back with Peter Smythe. Within 3 weeks of my CE I had a (very average) CE job. Although I wasn’t there long I have worked pretty well continuously since then. Some employers see older drivers as having more common-sense and being more reliable.

You want to do it? OK, do it. Beats looking back one day and thinking ‘I wish I had’.

Good luck, mate.
Alan

Welcome :slight_smile:

KevJD:
Oh, I never passed my test until after 2000 even though my provisional has always had cat C1 included…does this make a difference?

This will mean you’ll need to do the initial driver cpc.

Just popping on to say a BIG thanks to all you guys for your kind words. Yes, it’s something I really want to do regardless of money. I could do with a bit of hard work, I’m going rusty! On another subject, does anyone know if a driving simulator is used for the initial training?

Thanks again…I’m off to do a bit more reading :slight_smile:

Only if you join the Stobart Academy.

I have not heard of any other schools that use a simulator.

As a general rule you are taken to a quiet area to show your potential competence and then you progress at a rate that you and the instructor feel comfortable with.

Part of the art of a good trainer is in giving you time to master each “bit” but at the same time keep presenting manageable challenges. So, as Dean said, a quiet industrial estate is normal for getting used to gears, positioning, junction approaches. Then you should be moved on as soon as both you and the trainer are comfortable.

Hope that helps. Pete :laughing: :laughing: