Starting Out Again?

Evening,
First time poster…
I have a HGV class one licence ,got it 30 odd years ago.
My father had his own truck and i used to help him out , do a bit of agency driving and anyone in the area (Melton Mowbray) who wanted a bit of holiday driving.
I have not driven for about 15 years and am thinking of getting my medical sorted( i am 52 ) and getting my licence back active.
With all the changes taken place in the driving rules and regs what else do i have to do to enable me to get back up and running?.
I have a full time job ,not driving but is it worth getting my licence, is there much agency/ folk needing relief drivers at weekend etc?.
Any help would be appreciated.

Derek

Hi. You will, as you know, need a medical then you have a choice of completing 35 hours periodic driver cpc training OR sitting Mod 2 (at the theory test centre - it’s case studies) followed by a practical demonstration test at the driving test centre (no actual driving required - all about checks on the vehicle and loading).

The 35 hours has no pass/fail. The Mods 2 and 4 are pass/fail. Either way, you need to get in touch with a training provider who can sort out whichever route you choose.

I will tell you that the rules have just changed to allow folks in your position the choices I’ve outlined. But the technology is way behind and there can be considerable delays in completing Mods 2 and 4 as a result. You can find out if this is the case by going onto the theory test gov.uk booking site and see if it gives you the option of booking Mod 2. If it does, you’re home and dry. If not, I strongly suggest you do the 35 hours. It will also be of more educational, updating value if it’s done properly.

As for work in your area, sorry, not my department!

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Can’t see you having much trouble getting agency work dadski.

Coming up to the holiday season;you might have to go through the assessment route with some companies who use agency drivers,but can’t see that being a problem for you.

Good luck and keep us informed how you get on :wink:

Hi,

I’m in a similar situation. I’ve just completed my 35hrs CPC. I’m also going to do a day with an instructor in an artic as a quick refresher, cos it’s been a long time.

Hope things go well for you.

Fellas
Just gone through same situ as you guys- did Driver CPC, got on with local agencies and did a bit of direct work too.
Worked out that it was over 25 yrs since last driving class 1, but circumstances worked in my favour- 3days on a 12 tonnes, fortnight on 8 wheeler, shunting trailers for a week( what a bonus- saved me paying for training!) and then class 1 work with a big local set up.
Thoughts- no problem- it all comes back as if you have never been away- only real changes are auto boxes and H&S “improvements”.
If you box clever and “manage” your agency work in a progressive way, I’m sure you’ll click in no probs.
Now in a position where confidence is high, competence is high too, and have my choice of agency work- it’s all do-able.
Good luck!
And to any of you who want to have a pop at another agency driver, ask yourself if you’ve been the one of the charming chaps I’ve been exposed to recently, who look straight through you when a reply to “good morning” would be sufficient!!!

If i ever get blanked when just trying to be civil, i simply take comfort in the thought that they probably hate their job. I feel strangely superior to miserable gits! :grimacing: