Starting our DCPC training soon, BUT

…They want us to come in on a Saturday to do it, do so many hours each Saturday bit by bit.

And rumour has it they ARE NOT going to pay us for coming in - as it is not costing us to do the CPC, only the company.

Opinions please…

Not too bad if you live close.

Goldfinger:
…They want us to come in on a Saturday to do it, do so many hours each Saturday bit by bit.

And rumour has it they ARE NOT going to pay us for coming in - as it is not costing us to do the CPC, only the company.

Opinions please…

It cannot legally count as REST so does that affect you in any way?

You could refuse as you are not getting paid but that could be tantamount to cutting your own throat as the company would then insist you get and pay for your own dcpc

Usually when a company tell you that you must do something then they must pay you for that time (law) but it seems in this case that they may be simply offerring a free course if you wish to do so without obligation to get around that issue

Thats just my way of looking at this - others may view it diferently …

Id take it if im honest, there s a lot of drivers out there having to fund it themselves and are nt getting paid either. You need it for your job so get it done and then get it back in other ways :wink:

Goldfinger:

Opinions please…

All stick together and say you’d like to get paid for it as you’re giving up a day off, but you all need to do it.

Its not done to the company to pay either time for coming in or for the course. Like the digicard etc it is down to the driver to sort him/her self. If the company pays either or both then it is a bonus. We had to pay for it ourselves and do it without pay on Saturdays…it ■■■■■ but thats the way it has been set-up.

My old place was the same
come in on a saturday for your free cpc course , no your not getting paid but you can a free brekkie instead :smiley:
so glad i was sensible and got most of mine done by doing a few other jaupt registered course .mind you ive got my card now so thatll do for a few years

bald bloke:

Goldfinger:

Opinions please…

All stick together and say you’d like to get paid for it as you’re giving up a day off, but you all need to do it.

… No matter where you work, where lorry drivers are concerned - best of luck with that one !! :smiley: :smiley:

john-sussex:
Its not done to the company to pay either time for coming in or for the course. Like the digicard etc it is down to the driver to sort him/her self. If the company pays either or both then it is a bonus. We had to pay for it ourselves and do it without pay on Saturdays…it ■■■■■ but thats the way it has been set-up.

Same as our mob. But they organised the training for us. That way they got a block booking discount and we ended up paying £43 for our 7hrs. They took it off our wages at £4.30p/w for 10 weeks. You hardly noticed it that way. It would probably cost me about £100 if I was to do it myself and I probably wouldn’t get the option of paying it up.

The reason they don’t pay you is so its not work but your lucky to get it payed for I spead mine over a mouth and cost £250

VOSA’s position on whether training counts as work or not is here truckingtopics.co.uk/vosaclarifiesdri.html

Who pays for it is actually irrelevant, it’s whether it’s duty or not.

Goldfinger:
rumour has it they ARE NOT going to pay us for coming in

Opinions please…

Why don`t you ask them for the facts, are you getting paid or not, to dispel any rumours.
that way you & your work mates can then form an honest opinion whether you are going to attend

If you don’t take up the option of free (albeit unpaid) training when offered, then they will be within their rights to take you off the road come Sept 2014.

If you aren’t qualified to drive, they can’t employ you as a driver, and if there is no other suitable role for you in the company then they can sack you.

Sounds like you have two choices if you wish to stay: train in your time on their money, or train in your time on your money.

bit of a puzzler that!

Is it on your work premises or do you have to travel as that would make it even worse… :confused:

truckerjim:
Is it on your work premises or do you have to travel as that would make it even worse… :confused:

the only way it could be worse is, as others have said, is for the driver to pay for the course as well, it is irrelevant as to where the course is being held

That’s how our lot have done it , saturday they pay the trainer we provide the time .
It’s the best deal your gonna get Goldfinger, take it and enjoy and be entertained by a bloke telling you ■■■■■■ but it’s ■■■■■ we got to live with.

About 60% of drivers I come across on DCPC courses are on a similar deal. Company pays for the course, they attend without pay. if they don’t want to attend then fine but come September 2014 they will need to have sorted it for themselves.

Around 10% are paying and orgnaising for it themselves because their employer has refused to have anything to do with it.

A further 10% are attending without pay AND paying the company back for the cost of the course over a number of pay days, but this will ultimately get them a discounted rate and if the employer is half decent he might even forget the VAT so another 20% saved.

The remainder are on the best deal - paid to attend a course during the week, all paid for including lunch.

Hazarding a guess here, i suspect those being paid to attend a course being paid for by the company are all unionised… :wink:

Its just how it is these days when the country is full to bursting with licence holders, all i can suggest is for good drivers to remember who the good employers were if things ever pick up again.

Your employer is under no obligation to arrange, or pay for, your DCPC. The only thing they are required to do is to check that their drivers have the full qualification by the due date. So if they are going to offer free training, then why not meet them half way?

I’m sure that if some drivers were offered the free training, paid for attending, served with breakfast and dinner and chauffeur driven to the training venue, they’d still find something to moan about.

My opinion is that you are lucky to be offered free training for something that is compulsory.

I got sent on a Saturday which I wasn’t overly happy with, no mention of pay so I stuck 8 hours for it on my timesheet. I got it but didn’t feel I could ask for fuel money for the 40 mile round trip in my car :laughing:

The trainer was telling us about a company he did a block session for on a Saturday, the company had hired a conference room at a hotel and laid on a fancy lunch. One of the lads couldn’t make it and attended at the training co the following week. When the trainer pointed out he’d missed a good do, it transpired that the drivers had been charged about £65 each for the days training. The training company was charging £45 / head. :unamused: