Starting off with C+E licence

I realise this is just about the worst time to start driving artics, but I’m mid-40’s and have waited long enough to do what I really want to do. Reading up on the TruckNet I seem to have 2 choices:-

1. try for a driving job with an employer somewhere knowing it will take bl##dy ages unless I’m very lucky

OR

1. use the capital I have to finance a tractor and trailer of my own (maybe 50% down/50% loan) and try starting as an owner/operator now whilst equipment costs are lower. I’ve always wanted to be my own boss and I’m used to long hours on the roads in my former business life.

I know both options may be viewed as foolhardy at the moment but does anyone have any (polite) advice? I favour option 2 but how do you start finding your first customers? Will it ultimately pay more to be an owner/operator rather than drive for someone for the next 20 years?

Thanks in advance.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome kipper21 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

FAQ forum for info on Posting Pics & avatars, How to use quotes, Driver CPC, and much more…

As for the O/D part of your question, someone else has asked the same thing today - CLICK HERE

I assume you have a C+E license but to be an owner operator isn’t quite that easy, to obtain an operators license you’ll need a CPC or get someone who has a CPC to back up your application for the OL.

Then there’s the not so small job of finding work to support you and your vehicle, as you said it’s a terrible time to become and owner driver.

Having said that I’ve never run my own vehicle so what do I know, but I suspect most other people will agree that it’s the worst time to become an owner driver.

Sorry this isn’t what you wanted to hear but it is my honest if not very informed opinion :wink:

I’d really think that starting out as an O/D at this time with no experience would be foolish. I could be wrong though, in fact it has happened once before (IIRC 14th June 2001) :laughing:

If you have a good idea where there might be work that you could, ie your brother in law runs a timber yard and is always using contract hauliers and will guarantee you some work then it might be worth considering.

Using contacts gained from working as a driver is a good way of locating work, you are effectively nicking your previous employers work but if you can build a good relationship with the people who matter it is a foot in the door.

This is just my opinion of things as viewed by an employee who wonders about the feasability of doing just this.

ROG - read all of those links. Good stuff.

I forget to mention that I’m aware of the operatior licence requirements and am studying the Operator CPC at present just in case I need it.

Sounds like it’s going to be really tough which ever way I try. Thanks for the opinions.

kipper21