Starting my class c+e lessons tomorrow.... slight nerves.

Well I’m starting my class c+e lessons tomorrow in a volvo fh with twin axle trailer, excited but also slightly nervous.

Any pointers on it?, been told by a few drivers at work that driving an artic is easier than rigid?

Good luck.
a few nerves are a good thing.

I start mine on the 19th - when I stop and think about it I’m nervous too but also excited!

Just enjoy it and take it steady.

Where are you learning? Auto or manual?

dave_garner:
Good luck.
a few nerves are a good thing.

I start mine on the 19th - when I stop and think about it I’m nervous too but also excited!

Just enjoy it and take it steady.

Where are you learning? Auto or manual?

I’m learning with a company in Melmerby, near Ripon. Learning in a manual 4 over 4.

All the best

Hi Rich. I have my last 4 hour lesson tomorrow and my C+E test Tuesday. As far as advice goes,there really is not that much to it. If you have been driving decent size class 2’s regularly,you should adapt pretty quickly. When I first had to negotiate the training yards gates for the first time(they are tight),I thought oh [zb],but your instructor talks you through it,and you will be amazed at how easy they go around corners.

I posted to Warren a couple of days ago about your first T junction. I approached the junction and was asked to turn right. Came to a stop,checked left,checked right,clear and go. Just glanced back at my left mirror as I was turning and couldn’t see anything!!

Not used to a mirror full of white metal lol. The reversing is a challenge,as the slightest turn on the steering wheel gives you an immediate reaction on your trailer but you soon adapt. Good luck with it mate…you will love it.

An artic is much easier to drive but as eagerbeaver says the reversing is different . Just enjoy you have a great view of the road so can see situations before they develop and most junctions you can prepare well in advance as from your vantage point you see all that is happening before you get there . Just enjoy :smiley:

I learnt in a volvo fh with 4 over 4 i found it was easier to reverse in artic than rigid :open_mouth:

richcfc1:
Well I’m starting my class c+e lessons tomorrow in a volvo fh with twin axle trailer, excited but also slightly nervous.

Any pointers on it?, been told by a few drivers at work that driving an artic is easier than rigid?

I done mine a Volvo too.

I wouldn’t say I found it easier or harder just different. Once you get used to trailer cut in and losing the view in the main mirrors when turning its just the same as a rigid. On tight corners when you lose the trailer in the main mirrors move to the wide angle mirrors. keep checking you’re mirrors for good road positioning. When approaching junctions or potential hazards, plan well in advance what you need to do, such as straddle the lanes.
When reversing just remember that left lock makes the trailer go right and right lock makes it go left, and the it wont stop bending till you can see equal amounts of trailer in each mirror. if you’re not sure of your exact position take the lock off and have a look to see where you are, when you turn the steering wait for the trailer to react before doing anything else.
When uncoupling remember BLACK = Brake, Legs, Air/electric lines, Clip, Kingpin, reverse order for recoupling and remember tug test (twice)

Good luck m8, and enjoy it. Good luck to the other guys that have tests coming up too :slight_smile:

richcfc1:

Id be more concerned about why they call it a dog clip rather than a cirby … maybe something to do with the other half :smiling_imp: .

good luck for today, enjoy :slight_smile:

Cheers everyone for your posts… three days n i could be fully qualified new driver

Good luck and when going round tight corners double yellow lines are a bonus look to run the trailer wheels between the lines,they are easier to judge as you can’t always see the kerb that clearly.
You will realise when you settle into driving an artic why It’s better than a rigid.take all the room you need then pinch a bit more.
Work sent me out in a rigid yesterday yuk hated it back with a 45ft trailer today into back streets of sparkbrook looking for a collection tighter turns but easier with a trailer.