Starting my Class 2 this week, need advice on post course

Hi guys,

So as the title states I start my Class 2 tomorrow morning, chances are I’m gonna have to wait until January to do my mod 4.

I’m the only worker in my house as the missus looks after our little girl, so I need something rock steady job wise, do I stand a chance getting a class 2 job that isn’t agency as a new guy? I do have experience on the road (driving coaches at the min) so not totally new to tachos, wtd, road network ect.

Also does anybody know of any firms that do Class 2 tramping round South/West Yorkshire area? That’s something I’d like to do. I keep seeing coopers lighting trucks running around, they look like they could be away but can’t find any info on job vacancies,

Any advice muchly appreciated :grimacing:

full time perm as a LGV newbie … you need a friend who is a TM

tommyboy1289:
Hi guys,

So as the title states I start my Class 2 tomorrow morning, chances are I’m gonna have to wait until January to do my mod 4.

I’m the only worker in my house as the missus looks after our little girl, so I need something rock steady job wise, do I stand a chance getting a class 2 job that isn’t agency as a new guy? I do have experience on the road (driving coaches at the min) so not totally new to tachos, wtd, road network ect.

Also does anybody know of any firms that do Class 2 tramping round South/West Yorkshire area? That’s something I’d like to do. I keep seeing coopers lighting trucks running around, they look like they could be away but can’t find any info on job vacancies,

Try Longs of Leeds. But first get the licence good luck. Who you training with?

Paul

elmet training:

tommyboy1289:
Hi guys,

Try Longs of Leeds. But first get the licence good luck. Who you training with?

Paul

Emms in doncaster, went for an assesment with them, he was fair with me and I got on well with the truck…and instructor

Good luck with your training.

I’m surprised that the voucher-meister hasn’t been on yet to offer an assessment :smiley:

Judehamish:
Good luck with your training.

I’m surprised that the voucher-meister hasn’t been on yet to offer an assessment :smiley:

Thinking about it for my class 1 lol

I must admit that I passed class one with him, but did my class two in an industry sized lorry.

The training was very good, but he’s almost like an Amway salesman on here!!

You’ll have to wait for your licence back from DVLA if you passed and there’s no way you’ll get that before January anyway. Ask them to do your mod 4 during your class 2 too. Loads of places offer that.

Phil1979:
You’ll have to wait for your licence back from DVLA if you passed and there’s no way you’ll get that before January anyway. Ask them to do your mod 4 during your class 2 too. Loads of places offer that.

It’s the cost more than time, i’m thinking get my mod 4 done first couple of weeks of january should hopefully get license back by start of feb then

I may be passionate about the job - that’s the way I am. I’m also very concerned about the lousy standards that prevail in parts of the training industry and how easy it is for anyone to get sucked in.

When folks use the vouchers we make virtually no profit. But, because we are a largish set-up, economy of scale means we can afford to be genuinely generous from time to time. It not all about the size of director dividends at the end of the year.

There are two potential positive spin-offs: maybe folks will see fit to recommend us and it’s good to know they haven’t been ripped off by the brokers or anyone else offering poor quality.

I hasten to add that, to the best of my knowledge, no trainer on this forum offers poor quality training.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Would it not be better to reduce your prices to the same level for everyone?

That way you make the same amount of money and customers don’t end up paying full price and then maybe registering on here seeking work and feeling that they have been shafted by £400.

The other thing to me that seems totally disrespectful to the other trainers on here is that no matter what catchment area someone is based you are straight in there with a voucher and a free b&b.

You are not exactly whiter than white, was hearing just the other day about one of your training firms that went ■■■■-up in Shirebrook.

You offer very good advice, but it seems as a neutral that not only do you sponser this forum, but you wish to have a monopoly on it also .

one of your training firms that went ■■■■-up in Shirebrook.

Really? Enlighten me. Cant wait!

Would it not be better to reduce your prices to the same level for everyone?

That way you make the same amount of money and customers don’t end up paying full price and then maybe registering on here seeking work and feeling that they have been shafted by £400.

I have yet to hear that anyone felt “shafted” as you so delicately put it. The price is the price and it is in the mid range for quality training. Many retailers offer a price reduction at some point or another for whatever reason. To reduce the price for everyone would mean a tiny reduction in price. It wouldn’t be enough to be excited about.

Whatever anyone may wish to think, this is simply a way of trying to help folks find a quality trainer at a lower price. And, as I said previously, we make virtually no profit from courses where the voucher is used.

I do spend hours and hours on the forum helping folks. Much of this time is via pm. Too much of it is spend sorting out current training issues that folks have that their trainer doesn’t seem able to help with.

As far as forum sponsorship goes, it’s simple. I overstepped the line and was told in no uncertain terms that the only way to advertise was to pay. So I did. And plenty of it! As such, yes I have got a right to offer my services and will continue to do so.

I will accept, though, that it can seem like overload so I will wind it back a bit.

In the meantime, I’ll continue to try and help anyone and everyone. Some will choose to come and use our service. Others will use me as a back up when it’s going wrong. And I really am happy to do that.

The biggest issue is trying to explain that we’re not all motivated by making as much money as possible. And that’s a hard idea to grasp.

Judehamish:
The other thing to me that seems totally disrespectful to the other trainers on here is that no matter what catchment area someone is based you are straight in there with a voucher and a free b&b.

Peter knows my thoughts on his marketing on here but does sponsor the. I respect him as a experienced trainer and business man and as I have met him a couple of times I can vouch he is a nice honourable gentlemen.

I’m a great believer in supporting a business local to the customer as long it’s of good value and quality, butchers, bakers etc.

My nearest competitor is Tockwith and if I couldn’t accommodate a customer I would have no hesitation recommending them. I’d like to think they would do the same.

If we all get a slice of the cake we will all be happy.

Paul

Judehamish:

That’s a bit harsh on Pete. I can say that having met Peter several times and spoken to both him and members of team on the phone many times that he is far from disrespectful to other trainers. Contrary to what many may think, there is not really a dog eat dog attitude amongst trainers and in my experience of well over 30 years most will actually try to help a fellow training company with spare tests, vehicle replacement etc.

The free B&B that is offered is no more an inducement to attract customers than any high street offer in most shop windows. Buy 1 get 1 free etc etc or in fact our own free retest training offer.

Most regular trainer contributors on this board spend hours trying to help students that have concerns about the LGV process and every trainer will offer assistance whether the member lives in Land’s End or John O’Groats or anywhere in between.

Some of the comments on here are a bit harsh to Peter I think. I do think he can be a bit OTT with his marketing of his company on here. And sometimes he does refer every post back to his training etc.

But he’s genuinely one of the most helpful people on this board and offers loads of great advice to people too. He also recommends loads of different trainers on here. But offering free B&B is fine as some people may want to use his company as they suit an individuals needs. There’s nothing wrong with that.