Starting down the HGV road

Hey folks,

Sadly I was made redundant last year due to covid, and it’s looking like there won’t be any chance of jobs in the same industry for at least a year or two. I’ve zero experience doing anything else and don’t want to have to stack shelves! I’ve always loved driving so HGV seems to be a good choice for the short to medium term. I’ve got my provisional sorted and booked my theory, Hazard and mod 2 for first week of Feb (although am not holding my breath for them going ahead with the current lockdown, am in the system at least!)

First question of what I’m sure will be many is what websites/apps/books does everyone use to prepare for the theory tests? There seems to be multiple sites and apps all offering similar things. Any recommendations?

Once tests are passed I’ll look to do the training, any schools recommended around Surrey/Hampshire?

Cheers!

Hi and welcome to the forum. I recommend drivingtheory4all.co.uk/

And, without a doubt, try forum sponsor Peter Smythe Transport Training Ltd for a residential training course at Trucknet discount rates.

Remember to ask for the Trucknet discount. Office number is 01623 555661

Not all training is the same and cheapest is rarely best.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I traveled from canterbury kent to attend training with petesmythe training.I would highly recommend as it’s one of the best training providers in the country.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Have you checked out all the relevant info contained within the link in my signature below :question:

I did my DCPC Online with VR Training Academy. Google them. Great rates and good Tuition via Zoom. I am booked in to do a 1 day Periodic training session tomorrow, £35.00 :sunglasses:

I did my DCPC Online with VR Training Academy. Google them. Great rates and good Tuition via Zoom. I am booked in to do a 1 day Periodic training session tomorrow, £35.00 :sunglasses:

Unless the OP has a C1 licence already, he/she will need to complete Mods 2 and 4 to gain the driver cpc.

However, if the C1 is in place, then online makes all the sense in the world at the moment.

To be clear, it’s impossible to do either Mod 2 or 4 online.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

There’s an official DVSA Theory Test book with the entire bank of questions you could be asked in the exam. I’d trust that more than some non-official website if you want to be properly prepared.
If the libraries were open you could probably borrow a copy, I did back in the day

s-l640.png

Or you can access the FREE 1000+ questions in my signature below :bulb:

Yes, the official book is obviously a good resource if you have the discipline to study it. But PLEASE study the Highway Code as well. It’s free online. Some of the material will help with the theory test. It will also make a hell of a difference to your practical training.

For example, the huge majority of trainees need to have box junctions explained. Most have got a rough idea. But few fully understand all the rules. There’s many other examples that could all be solved simply by reading the Highway Code. On the whole, it’s been abandoned since the theory test was introduced.

Take care, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:

Unless the OP has a C1 licence already, he/she will need to complete Mods 2 and 4 to gain the driver cpc.

However, if the C1 is in place, then online makes all the sense in the world at the moment.

To be clear, it’s impossible to do either Mod 2 or 4 online.

Hope this helps, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Yes, you are correct, I only did my 35 hrs last Aug because I qualified for Aquired Rights and that was all that was required to renew my Class 1. I completed my 7hrs Period Training for this year today.
The point that I was trying to make was how good VR is and what great value they are. Seemless course via Zoom.
Good Luck.