Starting Class 1 (C & E) - Gears?

Hello :smiley:

Just did a C&E assessment and had a bit of a struggle trying not to find 5th gear as if I was in a straight 6. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
If I do my bendy training, will I have much chance of feeling comfortable with a 4 over 4 after 20 hours?

I was wondering if it would be better to do some Class 2 (C) work in a 4 over 4 first before attempting the test?

Itā€™s not just the gears but the extra lengthā€¦ And losing sight of the trailer whilst reversing was a new one !! :open_mouth: :blush: :open_mouth: :blush:
I enjoyed the assessment even though the gear changes werenā€™t smooth.

You just canā€™t give up can you ! :sunglasses:
(In the end) Failure is not an optionā€¦LOL :smiley:

Just when you become comfortable with a rigid, itā€™s a whole new ball game again.
Still, seeing the artic drivers looking relaxed at loading bays whilst being loaded :sunglasses: and me still recovering after pump trucking 10 Tons onto a tail lift a little earlier :imp: makes me see a way to go.

Any comments?

Best :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:
aposhark

Iā€™m not an experienced driver but am fairly confident in saying that you will quickly get used to whatever gearbox you are using with professional instruction. I did my C+E in a volvo with a range change (I think the same sort of thing you mention but not sure), the one with a switch on the gearstick and had no problems. Agree 100% with the last paragraph of your post!

Glad you enjoyed your assesment Aposhark. I think it might be a good idea to find a rigid with a 4 over 4, or that was the advice my instructor gave me before I went for the test. One less thing to get used to, however all gearboxes are not the same, they each have their own little foibles. Itā€™s down to the induvidual how well they pick things up, the range change threw me totally, thatā€™s why I had some time in a rigid with one. Others take to it like a duck to water. Youā€™ve got to think how youā€™ll react to it and if it does help to get some practice in, then go for it :wink:.

At the end of the day Aposhark you will be taking the test in the truck you have trained in. So you will be used to the gearbox, A 4 over 4 is easy enough to use (i would say easier then a 6 speed) and a slapover 4 easy again just as easy. the only time you may get confused is with a split, but even once you get used to these it becoms second nature. When you are out on the road you will most likely find that you are concerntrating far more on the other vehilces and so the gear changes become automatic.

Just go for it and enjoy it.

hey appo im driving a 4 over 4 rigid at the mo and when i first got it i hated it but after half a day and a few crunchies :blush: its became second natureā€¦you soon learn when you for get to change up and become intimate with the window screen :wink: :laughing: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hi aposhark Glad you enjoyed your C&E assessment
and as said above just go for it as you will pick it up.
Good luck :smiley:

Aposhark - might sound a bit daft at first but get a torch with a switch on the side and use it like a gear stick running through the four over four or three over three sequence but between gear 4 and 5 or 3 and 4 use the switch on the torch as you would on a gearstick, practice it and get the sequence in your head, its like riding a bike it will become second nature, just practice, practice, practice! :wink:

CM:
Aposhark - might sound a bit daft at first but get a torch with a switch on the side and use it like a gear stick running through the four over four or three over three sequence but between gear 4 and 5 or 3 and 4 use the switch on the torch as you would on a gearstick, practice it and get the sequence in your head, its like riding a bike it will become second nature, just practice, practice, practice! :wink:

Where did you get that tip from CM :question: .

bleedin hell lets not go over the top! gears- 4 over 4 youā€™ll only use em all on the gear change excersise which must be done slowly! apart from that, dependent on what engine size/power the wagons got youā€™ll only use third or fourth on the bottom just remember to flick the switch up when your thinking about changing to fith not when your actually moving the stick this will give it time to engage and not make the change from fourth to fith a crunch :confused:
when youā€™ve had a day at it youā€™ll find it far easier than a rigid with straight box.
trust me :wink:

convoy:

CM:

Just seemed a good idea at the time, not claiming itā€™s original. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :unamused:

Thanks for all of the tips everyone.

Actually, the instructor suggested I get a broom handle and practice sitting on a chair - now I will tape the torch to the handle. Hope I donā€™t plow into the settee when I am concentrating on the torch switch :wink:

What is a ā€œslapover 4ā€

The gearstick on the DAF I tried had a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  that slides up and down.

I came to a junction and was so busy watching the arse end that I got stuck in the wrong gear and froze :open_mouth: :open_mouth: The instructor changed gear for me.
Everything seemed to be in a bit of a rush, so whatā€™s the difference when you first drive a bendy - isnā€™t it better to be safe than sorry?

aposhark

CM:

convoy:

CM:

Just seemed a good idea at the time, not claiming itā€™s original. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :unamused:

It sounds a good tip CM I asked as I thought it might have
come from Ian Markwick from when you did your day refresher
course. I might use it myself :smiley:

aposhark:

Actually, the instructor suggested I get a broom handle and practice sitting on a chair - now I will tape the torch to the handle. Hope I donā€™t plow into the settee when I am concentrating on the torch switch :wink:

The gearstick on the DAF I tried had a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  that slides up and down.

aposhark

:laughing: : :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: just canā€™t help chuckling at the thought of you sat in the front room with a sawn off broom handle and a torch strapped to it, making engine noises while changing gear and the wife and kids sat staring at you like youā€™ve lost your marbles!

was it an old motor? daf 85 has a big switch on the front for range change and smaller button on the side for the splitter.

aposhark:

I came to a junction and was so busy watching the arse end that I got stuck in the wrong gear and froze :open_mouth: :open_mouth: The instructor changed gear for me.
Everything seemed to be in a bit of a rush, so whatā€™s the difference when you first drive a bendy - isnā€™t it better to be safe than sorry?

aposhark

And watch out for coffe tables, they park anywhere :wink:

Slapover 4 is a four by four configuration with a gate between the two four(H) patterns that you have to slap or nudge the gear lever through.

If your getting to junctions, etc and feel rushed your not braking soon enough or otherwise not slowing enough. About three truck lengths from the junction Brake to a 1000 rpm and get yourself in the gear you want and run slowly up to the junction trying to anticipate your gap, if it appears just pull gently away, unless its a stop sign that is :unamused:

good advise cm, you should be in the right gear long before you need to accelerate on.

Is slapover 4 like the one on renaults where you push the stick left for low range and right for high range?

mrpj:
Is slapover 4 like the one on renaults where you push the stick left for low range and right for high range?

See! hence the signature, never driven a Renault so Iā€™ve learnt something today, thanks.

I was referring to the 8 speed splitter box in the old Daf 2800, 3300.

CM:

mrpj:

See! hence the signature, never driven a Renault so Iā€™ve learnt something today, thanks.

I was referring to the 8 speed splitter box in the old Daf 2800, 3300.

Only driven one myself but I think that was the gearbox set-up!! (memory is a bit hazy)

CM:
If your getting to junctions, etc and feel rushed your not braking soon enough or otherwise not slowing enough. About three truck lengths from the junction Brake to a 1000 rpm and get yourself in the gear you want and run slowly up to the junction trying to anticipate your gap, if it appears just pull gently away, unless its a stop sign that is :unamused:

paul b:
you should be in the right gear long before you need to accelerate on.

Yes good advice CM and paul b :smiley: .

If your getting to junctions, etc and feel rushed your not braking soon enough or otherwise not slowing enough. About three truck lengths from the junction Brake to a 1000 rpm and get yourself in the gear you want and run slowly up to the junction trying to anticipate your gap, if it appears just pull gently away, unless its a stop sign that is

CM - It was actually when I was accellerating away after the turn. I was so concerned watching my behind, I didnā€™t go from 4th (then pull ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  up) and into 5th quickly . The instructor said ā€œget a move on, canā€™t hold traffic upā€ sheeshā€¦
A new gearbox AND that extra length behindā€¦ Still, as I said, I enjoyed it.
I suppose the DAF was old then with this ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  that you have to pull up and down. It wasnā€™t even a switch.
aposhark :wink: