Starting before 4

Some of our lads went on a cpc course last week and were told that if you start before 4 you are classed as a night worker and so restricted to 10 hours (of work) unless there was a workforce agreement in place.
So far so good
He then went on to tell them that they were limited to 10 hours (work) per day for the rest of that week.
Now either I am being thick and missed this bit in the rules but I can’t find where it says this.
I hope I’m right as I am on the course in a few weeks and looking forward to asking where he got this info from so I can point out how much of a waste of time this rubbish really is.

Cheers

Ask him to show you in print.

vwgpmk2:
Some of our lads went on a cpc course last week and were told that if you start before 4 you are classed as a night worker and so restricted to 10 hours (of work) unless there was a workforce agreement in place.
So far so good
He then went on to tell them that they were limited to 10 hours (work) per day for the rest of that week.
Now either I am being thick and missed this bit in the rules but I can’t find where it says this.
I hope I’m right as I am on the course in a few weeks and looking forward to asking where he got this info from so I can point out how much of a waste of time this rubbish really is.

Cheers

Firstly, if a driver works at any time between midnight and 4 am they are subjected to the RTD 10 hours work (driving + other work) rule unless they have opted out by workforce agreement
The 10 hour work rule does not mean a max 10 hour shift time so its quite possible to do a 15 hour shift with plenty of breaks or POA included

Secondly, there is no rule which is written or infers that a driver who comes under the 10 hour rule for one shift must then follow that rule for all other shifts in the same fixed week or between weekly rests so that is deffo a made up one

Does anyone know of a company which actually checks this rule? - the authorities have not bothered in the last 5+ years …

Thanks for that.
Thought I was right. Just didn’t want to look a prat when I shouted up
Cheers

ROG:

vwgpmk2:
So far so good

Cheers

Does anyone know of a company which actually checks this rule? - the authorities have not bothered in the last 5+ years …

no I don’t, I did work for a company for 13 months doing 12 hr nightshifts 5 times a week, and they didn’t even know the rule existed until I showed them.

They don’t have any qualified transport managers/CPC holders then? Lol how do so many companies who employ people with access to the interweb, and the same rule books as us mortals miss such simple things?

The 10 hours starts from when you start shift.

The only opt out is with a collective or workforce agreement.

You could have an hours break and 8 hours POA but if you started at say 0200, without the agreement in place, you MUST book off at 1200.

One Eyed Trucker:

You could have an hours break and 8 hours POA but if you started at say 0200, without the agreement in place, you MUST book off at 1200.

Incorrect

The 10 hour rules has absolutely nothing to do with shift length

The 10 hour RTD rule is for the working hours done in the shift - that would be driving time + other work time

One Eyed Trucker:

Are you a dCPC trainer?? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Truckulent:

One Eyed Trucker:

YES HE SAYS HE IS
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107986&p=1627258#p1627258

One Eyed Trucker:
I am one of those horrid people who take your money and subject you to 7 hrs of listening to me spout BS.

I have had both drivers & TMs tell me that my training is far from dull or boring.

The reason is that I was a Class 1 driver for over 27 years before being taken off the rd due to health reasons.

Luck was on my side as I was an Agency driver & the agency being a very large one deemed it a good idea to have most of their trainers be ex drivers or a few are still drivers.

Most information for drivers is from other drivers(MMTM) or from a TM who wants lots of work done for minimum pay.

Most of the drivers on my training days go away more informed than when they arrived.

IF TRUE THEN IT JUST PROVES A POINT !!!

ROG:

Truckulent:

One Eyed Trucker:

YES HE SAYS HE IS
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107986&p=1627258#p1627258

One Eyed Trucker:
I am one of those horrid people who take your money and subject you to 7 hrs of listening to me spout BS.

I have had both drivers & TMs tell me that my training is far from dull or boring.

The reason is that I was a Class 1 driver for over 27 years before being taken off the rd due to health reasons.

Luck was on my side as I was an Agency driver & the agency being a very large one deemed it a good idea to have most of their trainers be ex drivers or a few are still drivers.

Most information for drivers is from other drivers(MMTM) or from a TM who wants lots of work done for minimum pay.

Most of the drivers on my training days go away more informed than when they arrived.

IF TRUE THEN IT JUST PROVES A POINT !!!

Give me strength…sadly it sounds as if they are incorrectly informed… :unamused:

ROG:

One Eyed Trucker:

Incorrect

The 10 hour rules has absolutely nothing to do with shift length

The 10 hour RTD rule is for the working hours done in the shift - that would be driving time + other work time

Not quite correct, for the RT(WT)R the maximum ten hours working time is for the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift involving night work.

The period of 24 hours is not reset by a daily rest period as it is for the tachograph regulations.

Without an opt out agreement in place a night time worker is limited to ten hours working time in the 24 hour period from the start of the shift involving night work, this could therefore extend into the next shift if the shift start times differ.

I agree that the agency DCPC trainer One Eyed Trucker is completely wrong though :imp:

I left out the 24 hours bit because I thought it might confuse - perhaps I should have added it in a footnote :bulb:

Any of you people live in the “real” world?

HELLO!