Starting a HGV driving School

Hi guys i have been asked to looking into what requirements our business needs to start our own internal and external driving school (class 2 initially)

Does anyone have a knowledge base somewhere i can peruse through? one moment i am looking at vehicles specifics being 8 forward gear non auto, then i am being told thats no longer a requirement. So i could do with some current info.

Things i am looking to know about

1. min vehicle requirements
  2. min manouver space requirement (size of yard)
  3. av salary for HGV instructer
  4. classroom requirements

and anything else really. Its currently at a costing phase only to see if we do it in house or sub it out.

1. min vehicle requirements
  2. min manouver space requirement (size of yard)
  3. av salary for HGV instructer
  4. classroom requirements
  1. Refer to nidirect.gov.uk/index/inform … hicles.htm

2. 66m x 11m

3. Varies according to local conditions. But approx. the same as a local Class 1 driver + 10%.

4. Classroom not required for basic training

Happy to advise further if you pm me.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I would say that unless you are going to be training over 50 drivers per year its not worth doing from the point of view regarding reducing cost but the major advantage to training your own drivers is ultimate control over how and what they are taught.

Driving schools aim to simply get drivers through the test where as you can train them to do this and much more required for their role within the company, it will however end up costing a small fortune. This I’m sure your directors will weigh up, if they are forward thinking - but so many companies give up at the first hurdle as haulage is normally what they are good at, not training.

Not many companies can succeed in different industries at once, I suggest you hire someone from the industry, not just an instructor but someone running a small local driving school - like a self employed instructor/company owner (one man band, as we call them). Give them full control and they will thrive.