Started practical

So this morning I started my practical driving lessons (4hours each day), had to be there bright and early at 8am, I completely underestimated the traffic and ended up being 15 minutes late :blush:

Anyway, the day started with a type of induction, going through basic site safety (waer a hi-vis!), and we did a walk around the truck where all the bits and bobs were pointed out, lifted the bonnet flap and had a poke around under there and then we got in, had a little chat and the instructor took us out and onto the road where he drove and explained a few things. After about 20 minutes he pulls over and we swap seats.

I must say to begin with it took me a good few minutes to adjust but I soon got myself comfortable and away we went. I soon got used to it and we drove round for a while stopping in various places and pulling away. I nearly clipped the wing mirror on an overhanging tree :blush: and I managed to mess up my gears when negotiating a busy junction :blush: , but after the first couple of hours I settled down and did a ā€œvery good first driveā€. I even managed to do the reversing exercise on me own (after a bit of tutoring) :grimacing:

Im approaching junctions too fast and I need to keep an eye on my mirrors but overall Iā€™m quite pleased! I sometimes tend to get into a flap when approaching a roundabout as Iā€™m unsure of what gear to get into whilst checking my mirrors and staying in the right position but Iā€™m happy so far.

Day 2 tomorrow so will try and update then.

I have quite a busy schedule, training 8am-12pm, take me lad to nursery for 12:30, back home for a quick dinner before leaving at 1pm to get to work for a 2pm-10pm shift!

So I must call it a day to get some shut eye as Iā€™m up at 6:30am to do it all again!

I love it though! I just hope I donā€™t over do it for my test on Thursday, will have to do some skiving at work :grimacing:

All these little problems are normal on your first drive , u just need to slow down a bit at junctions to give yourself time to assess everything that is going on and plan ur moves at rbts look at the angles of the cars as to were they are going as some people dont indicate and if your not sure wait :bulb: if you keep a drains width from edge of curb you should be ok thats were the mirrors come in just make sure you know where your veh is at all times this should keep you from hitting kerbs etc im sure you will be fine for thurs and just a heads up most people have a really bad day during the training (dont know why just happens) dont dwell on it just get back on track and nail that test

all the best

Well day 2 was good. Pretty much just drive around gettin more used to the vehicle, my mirrors are good as is my awareness and appreciation of the size of the vehicle, although I did scrub a kerb on a narrow part of road.

Instructor was very impressed and said he felt perfectly comfortable being in the passenger seat. I still have to work on my approach speed as its throwing me out on some of the junctions with my gears but the instrcutor said he was ā€˜nitpickingā€™. I know what I have to do now though!

Bring on tomorrow :sunglasses:

Do not kick yourself too hard if you get a period where you seem to have forgotten how to drive - this is normal when learning and only lasts for a few hours - usually on day 3

All will be well again and better than before the next time

We shall see what day 3 brings. I did have some challenging corners today which I would have to be careful on if I went that way on my test. My biggest concern is mounting the kerb as I know itā€™s an instant fail.

What happens if you brush a kerb but donā€™t mount it?

What happens if you brush a kerb but donā€™t mount it?

If itā€™s a tight turn and if you prepared properly for it, the answer is NOTHING!

But if the above dont apply, youā€™re in the lap of the gods.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The odd brush of a kerb on a very tight corner etc is not a fail providing the the vehicle is not unbalanced/shaken

good luck tarman with ya training take it nice and slow and safe training, :grimacing:
cheers weeman abs

Thanks all :wink:

Quick pic the beastie lol

Sorry I have only just picked this one up. Usually on the ball by now.

Looks like you are doing well. Usual hiccups on day 1 which are by now smoothing out I guess. Donā€™t be surprised if you have a crap day. We all have.

Keep the speed down unless the road is clear ahead. It gives you more time to think. The examiner would rather see a controlled safe drive than a rushed by the skin of your teeth drive. Also just remember that when you pass you will have lots of tonnage behind you, so in the real world, you wonā€™t want to be rushing into junctions and roundabouts.

Best of luck for the rest of your training and letā€™s hope you get that blue certificate.

Day 3:

Today I did more of the reversing, that seems easy enough will be doing more of that tomorrow. I made a few hiccups today, first one was driving around the roads and roundabouts surrounding the Reebok Stadium in Bolton, upon approaching a tight roundabout on a 2 lane road I was in the left hand lane and as I started to pull out a car came round the outside, I panicked and mounted the kerb slightly on the near side :blush:

Secondly, the instructor took me on a tight bus route with varying hills and cambers. I ended up having to do a hill start and the wagon rolled back a little which made me jam on the brake and then apply the parking brake. I also tried to do a hill start and nearly stalled it, not quite used to the on/off nature of the park brake, mastered it in the end though.

Iā€™ve also mastered the approach speed, I find if I bring the speed down and use 5th it seems to be easier, 5th seems like a good gear, can slow right down in it and pull away nicely from a low speed.

Back in at 8am tomorrow with the test at 10:15, I must remember to give the examiner a smooth drive, show confidence and show him that I can drive a truck. Use the nerves to my advantage, use my mirrors and donā€™t clip and kerbs!

Right Iā€™m off for some well deserved sleep, day off work tomorrow so I can relax a bit afterwards and either celebrate or lick my wounds lol

How did you get on mate??

Well the results are in as they say lol. I didnā€™t pass this time :frowning:

In total I got 6 marks, 4 minor and 2 ā€œseriousā€. I didnā€™t get any marks for mirrors which I was chuffed about. I got 1 minor for use of the handbrake, I stuttered a bit and made the truck jerk when putting the handbrake on. 1 minor for hesitation. Canā€™t remember what the other 2 minors were for.

Right, onto the serious.

I got 1 serious because I was turning across oncoming traffic, I saw a gap but didnā€™t really get on with it as I was too busy watching the kerb and a car had to slow down (I had already made the turn when the car had to ā€œslow downā€. The second serious was a bit harsh I thought. I had to negotiate what I thought was a tight left hand corner so naturally I straddled the 2 lanes. I hadnā€™t been this way before and I couldnā€™t see clearly all the way round the bend. As the examiner had been this way before he obviously knew you could get a rigid round, I on the other hand hadnā€™t hence me straddling the lanes. He said I wasnā€™t ā€œaware of the dimensions of the vehicleā€ and gave me a serious mark for holding up traffic :imp:

Nothing I can do about it now though, Iā€™m obviously gutted as I thought it was a good smooth drive but hey-ho. Gonna get onto the training centre now and get them to get it re-booked ASAP.

Did the reverse in one aswell :smiley:

Not a bad score. Shame itā€™s a fail. Donā€™t give up. Youā€™ve come this far.

Get back on the horse and rebook as soon as you can.

Best of luck.

Sorry to hear that mate, but the serious faults donā€™t sound too bad and it sounds like your overall driving was good. At least youā€™re not beating yourself up about it. Put it behind you and get rebooked. Good luck!

Desperate to get a re-test ASAP, I think Iā€™ll be more gutted if I have to wait a long time for a re-test.

Obviously I was gutted at first but I canā€™t let it get to me. I wonā€™t be making the same mistakes again thatā€™s for sure. I even had car drivers cut me up, pedestrians walk out whilst negotiating a junction but nevermind. Iā€™ll crack it next time, just an extra sting in the wallet that I could do without.

Sorry ,only just seen the thread:-(, well at least you have a good idea about what you need to be doing, push on & put for a retest, & get your pass nailed :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll try my best :smiley:

Sorry to hear you didnā€™t get the pass mate.

Everything in life is down to experience. What you had marked down as a serious, experienced drivers have done the same at some point in their driving lives.

Next test = clean slate, and hopefully a pass.

Good luck.