Started my class 1 career :)

After getting my C+E 6 weeks ago and working my 1 month notice period at my last job I have at last started on class 1’s.
It’s not quite gone to plan so far but hopefully it’s just teething problems.
I picked up the unit (Renault Magnum) and trailer from the depot yesterday and had to load out of polymer logistics at Castleford, for all the seasoned drivers it wouldn’t be a problem but their yard is tight and a blind reverse onto the bay. It took a while lol but finally got loaded last night and set off for my run upto Highland spring in Lennoxtown I decided to park up for the night on the A66. I had planned on getting to Lockerbie but the 66 in the dark as a new driver in a magnum!! I set off this morning no problems and pulled into Southwaite for a Costa packet, got back to the truck and did a quick walk round as I knew VOSA were just up the road at the checkpoint. I’m glad I did as this is what i found

The tyre was the shape of a 50p although it was fine on the morning checks. This was at 9.10am the fitters have been out and said the brake adjustment was out meaning that most of the braking force was going to that wheel and as I’m running fairly light about 12t of load it was locking g up. I have had all the brakes sorted now but I’m still waiting for a tyre!!
Please tell me this isn’t an average day lol
Apart from that I’m loving it :slight_smile:

Firstly, well done for having the sense to repeat the walk round check. This should be done at every reasonable opportunity for the reason that you have shown.

Secondly, no, it isn’t an average day - - there’s all sorts of other rubbish out there waiting to get you!!

Congrats on the job. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Wow that must have been bumpy…! Good catch - you see many jump in and drive after services and anything could have happened to the vehicle. I wish you a spate of normal trouble free days as that was an interesting start!

A baptism of fire today. It certainly paid to check. The rest of the day went ok. Tipped at Highland spring no problem then over to Grangemouth to reload for hull. I had an interesting drive from Lennoxtown to Grangemouth through the Milton etc I have done it in a van more than a few times but it tested my nerve.
The magnum isn’t as daunting as it was but the cab roll does take some getting used to, I felt a bit queasy earlier along the miltons not sure if it was nerves or sea sickness lol.
I’m running back down with just under full weight so tomorrow I’ll be steady eddy.

Good to hear. Well done! (and no shame in taking it steady at first)

The week has got easier as it goes on. I did a blindside reverse between 2 buildings at a paper mill no room whatsoever and by pure luck it went in easy. Even a another driver who watched said you done that before lol I soon put things right by struggling to get out the same way I went in and had to shunt :confused: I looked a right ■■■ lol

Excellent, very funny the last post. :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t ever worry about looking like a ■■■, we have to carry two around every day! :wink:

Well done on the blind side and spotting the tyre issue, looks like you have started out well.

Ady Williams:
The week has got easier as it goes on. I did a blindside reverse between 2 buildings at a paper mill no room whatsoever and by pure luck it went in easy. Even a another driver who watched said you done that before lol I soon put things right by struggling to get out the same way I went in and had to shunt :confused: I looked a right ■■■ lol

Haha! Quality!! :laughing:

Just because a trailer is new, doesn’t mean it’s fit for use so always do a proper check

Keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll be fine. :slight_smile:

DJC:
Just because a trailer is new, doesn’t mean it’s fit for use so always do a proper check

Keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll be fine. :slight_smile:

I bet that took some effort to do that