Start-up Car Transport Business

Hello guys, appreciate some thoughts and advise any of you experienced dudes could share.

After 35 years in oil and gas, I’m about to seriously consider moving forward with something I’ve always dreamed of doing. I’ve always had a huge interest in everything cars and the business of moving them within the UK and possibly the EU is a big draw and one that I’m seriously looking to move forward with.

I have read many threads on this site to try and gain the extensive knowledge of guys who have done this before, been succussful, tried and gave up or indeed never got started. Ideally I’m looking at either providing a niche single ‘covered’ car transport service or a perhaps less of a niche and go for an open Brian James style trailer, pulled by a 4x4. Also considered a 3.5t Sprinter style flat bed but concerned about the payload and how that would restrict me for moving larger or heavier vehicle. I’m under no illusion that either option in today’s ‘Shiply’, ‘Movex’ or ‘Uship’ world is going to be a race to the bottom in terms of rates. I’m also aware that successful business’s like this take years to get properly established with a good solid base of contacts or contracts. I know it will be extremely difficult and highly likely run at a loss, or break even if lucky until I’m established.

My question is a general one. Are there any other guys out there on this forum that can share their start-up experience, positive or negative, pitfalls, surprises etc? Also, on a more detailed question, would a 4x4 (VW Touareg as an example) pulling a max 3.5t trailer require tacho or Operatiors license.

I’m based up north of Scotland so likely to be less traffic in terms of transport opportunities, which will make it more difficult. I plan to put all my efforts into this to try and make it a success.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise anyone can offer.

would a 4x4 (VW Touareg as an example) pulling a max 3.5t trailer require tacho or Operatiors license.

No, as it’s a dual purpose vehicle. Good loophole.

I believe this is probably a growing market and I’ve said that I would do it if I wanted something to do (which I dont!).

Personally, I paid £150 to have a Bentley moved from Mansfield to Burnley in December. I have a pre war Riley which is being moved from Mansfield to Bicester in a couple of weeks - £140.

I dont believe you would ever get rich, but I’m equally sure you would earn a living provided the work comes in.

The classic car fraternity is certainly a good source of work.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:

would a 4x4 (VW Touareg as an example) pulling a max 3.5t trailer require tacho or Operatiors license.

No, as it’s a dual purpose vehicle. Good loophole.

I believe this is probably a growing market and I’ve said that I would do it if I wanted something to do (which I dont!).

Personally, I paid £150 to have a Bentley moved from Mansfield to Burnley in December. I have a pre war Riley which is being moved from Mansfield to Bicester in a couple of weeks - £140.

I dont believe you would ever get rich, but I’m equally sure you would earn a living provided the work comes in.

The classic car fraternity is certainly a good source of work.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Not quite correct ,you do need the tachograph .

Unless you’re prepared to relocate to somewhere where there is a decent population, forget it. Trailer transport of cars to/from north of Scotland could be measured in low double digits at the best of times and that’s before you consider your established competition which will already have the market sown up. You will need tacho as well and be prepared for DVSA & plod stopping you every 5 mins as they absolutely love these one-man band car transporter outfits as 99% of them are winging it by running bent as that’s the only way you’ll make any money at it. Price rules in this market. Very few customers care that you have the correct insurances and you will take your legally required tacho breaks. All they care about is getting their motor from A to B for the cheapest price and will turn a blind eye to insurances, crossing their fingers that nothing happens enroute.

Save yourself the hassle and just throw your money into the nearest open fire. The end result will be the same.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback.

I remember having a chat with a local caravan haulier, he was really pleased when he got a job moving caravans from factory to site, over the moon with his 90 pence per mile paid on AA maps.

He just could not understand he was working his nuts off for 45 pence. Dealer transfers may pay better as you are loaded in both directions.

Prototypes, bucks, police work and new vehicle launches will be more profitable but many of these are already taken by the multinationals.

you do need the tachograph .

Yes, I only answered half the question! Sorry for any confusion.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Is what I do, started 15 yrs sgo.

The EU stuff is currently a bit of a nightmare thanks to Brexit, not insurmountable, but slow & more expensive than before, I’m a tad apprehensive for the future personally.

Money wise you can make a living at it, you can do better than that with graft & tbh a bit of luck.

The location will make it difficult however, Scotland to South England stuff is done for just utterly peanuts, just ridiculous low prices.

I started with a 3. 5t quickly realised how restrictive it was, added a trailer & tacho (didn’t need o license for that then, do now) added 4x4 then a 6.5t etc I’m predominantly higher end stuff & classics & also mainly enclosed, better type of work pays considerably more but insurance is a lot & need decent kit.

I don’t knock the 3. 5t tho, my enclosed one does the majority of my milage & a earns v well, as do a lot of light classics, but have the larger enclosed & trailer enclosed too, do still have an open trailer but it’s not used much. Double enclosed gives, a lot more options & hardly affects the mpg.

iguana:
Is what I do, started 15 yrs sgo.

The EU stuff is currently a bit of a nightmare thanks to Brexit, not insurmountable, but slow & more expensive than before, I’m a tad apprehensive for the future personally.

Money wise you can make a living at it, you can do better than that with graft & tbh a bit of luck.

The location will make it difficult however, Scotland to South England stuff is done for just utterly peanuts, just ridiculous low prices.

I started with a 3. 5t quickly realised how restrictive it was, added a trailer & tacho (didn’t need o license for that then, do now) added 4x4 then a 6.5t etc I’m predominantly higher end stuff & classics & also mainly enclosed, better type of work pays considerably more but insurance is a lot & need decent kit.

I don’t knock the 3. 5t tho, my enclosed one does the majority of my milage & a earns v well, as do a lot of light classics, but have the larger enclosed & trailer enclosed too, do still have an open trailer but it’s not used much. Double enclosed gives, a lot more options & hardly affects the mpg.

Thanks so much for your advise here, very helpful. Good to talk to someone who’s been through the start-up and out the other end, and still making a living from it. I hear all the guys on this forum who tell me to forget it, no money in it etc. And to be fair to them, they are giving their honest option and most likely backed up with experience. However, I’m off the opinion you get out what you put in and hard graft, and like you say some luck along the way.

When you say a double enclosed, do you mean an enclosed truck pulling an enclosed trailer? Do you think there is more work out there for an enclosed trailer rather than an open trailer? I’m wondering if I’d get any work from the internet sites (Shiply, Movex, Uship etc) with an enclosed trailer moving higher end cars or if that’s a pipe dream and should stick to an open trailer to start off with until I’m established.

Really appreciate your advise, especially as you have your own business to protect so grateful for sharing.

Hello, guys.

Sorry for bumping this thread. I’m in the process of starting my business, so my question is, how did you find clients? Seeking in effective marketing strategies.

The key for me was to understand where my potential clients hung out online. I invested a decent amount in advertising on LinkedIn and Google. Both platforms gave me tangible results, especially when I tailored my ads to a specific audience.

I didn’t go through a marketing agency. Did all the heavy lifting myself. One tool that was super handy was adspy. It basically showed me what ads my competitors were running. Gave me a ton of insight, and from there, I could cherry-pick the best strategies and tweak them for my campaigns.