Start up advice

Yes I know don’t do it etc etc…Anyway!
I was left a large amount of cash from my father who passed away suddenly in February !
I have to say finding work for companies had seriously got me down recently after a break of two years from driving! It seems the RTA have pushed the driver shortage again and this time it has pushed the two year for insurance back upon us! What guff! Anyway I cannot get regular work,other than nights! But there is no shortage etc etc

So I started thinking maybe start up my own firm, I was thinking of starting with a off site transport manager and find a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ and lease a rigid.
Then I looked on the usual quote sites and have realised they are all competing to the ■■■■ bottom!

I considered doing covered transportation of exotics or classics or even new cars …
But it’s all covered!
Is Amazon worth a shot?
Is there any big firms who actually pay ok for subbies?

Or should I just take a long break and blow his hard earned savings!
I have had a few business’s so no nay sayers needed! I have had a few months off and need a reason to get out of bed and earn instead of spend!
There is plenty to go around but I note that a lot of smaller firms are being swallowed up by the big greed merchants!

Any pointers chaps?

The problem is finding a niche market that others are not doing.

Buy small 3/7ton track excavator and trailer/pickup.
Get attachments for excavator to suit diff jobs.
“Mulcher” is good one plus the usual buckets etc.
Hit the retail/Farmer/business parks customers.
Build up relationships and “word of mouth” work.
Be on time and do a good job and DON’T rip people off and you’ll build up a good reputation.

Stay away from CUT-THROAT transport jobs UNLESS you’ve good customers who will pay on time EVERY time!!!

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Dont waste your large amount of cash getting into this industry.
there are lots of things to do with a large amount of cash that
will give you a better return than transport
Im sure the people will be a long soon with some cracking ideas

SHYTOT:
Dont waste your large amount of cash getting into this industry.
there are lots of things to do with a large amount of cash that
will give you a better return than transport
Im sure the people will be a long soon with some cracking ideas

The old joke
How do you make a million in road haulage ? Start with 3 million :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thats not a joke its true

And don’t forget the added stress, anxiety and depression attached to owning a business, if venturing abroad , the court deposits can be eye watering and you need instant access to cash for on the spot roadside payment that can be in the middle of nowhere and miles from a bank or facility to get money wired through via Western Union.

The vehicle documents and passport are seized by the police but they have to leave you the keys.

A mundane DVSA enforcement stop or the CVU of the police in the UK may entail a small fine or a warning for a minor tachograph regulations offence but in Europe it could be thousands of Euros.

Give Charles Morgan at CMT Malton a call im sure he will give you some good advice

SHYTOT:
Give Charles Morgan at CMT Malton a call im sure he will give you some good advice

motortransport.co.uk/blog/2023/ … -his-home/

might have his phone off.

You really need to find work direct with customers first before you start throwing yourself into buying a truck. If you can get work driving for someone, always keep a look out and talk to people where you deliver to. Aim for smaller companies, do work direct for them at a good price, and be reliable. Trouble with one truck is you can only really serve one master.
Transport companies, unless you personally know the owners, will rip you off with rates and payment terms. Assuming they have enough work to give out to subcontractors as work is still a bit thin on the ground. Some people can work with Amazon, I’ve yet to see a decent paying job on their load board.
Try and find a niche market, and get good at transporting within it. Your reputation will spread if you do a good job (as well as a bad job).

Narc:
There is plenty to go around but I note that a lot of smaller firms are being swallowed up by the big greed merchants!

Any pointers chaps?

In my humble opinion -

1. There really isn’t “plenty to go around”
    The big boys are chasing down stupidly small contracts a few years ago would have been the remit of small independents. Maybe it’s for backloads or something else? Who knows…

HX won’t pay for the truck.

Work for a big boy. Bank the cash. Take your time and decide where you want to live and what you want to do. Running a truck should be at the bottom of list.

Or let’s put it another way - advertise your service and see who bites. It only costs a few hundred quid to build a website to see if there’s work out there
P

Now you have the advice what are you going to do ■■

The OP has requested that the topic be closed, so it’s closed.