Start royal mail next week

start royal mail next week on 7.5 t class 2. any tips would be great.

seems a good outfit, don’t no first hand but there drivers who come to us are usually happy, and if they aren’t they seem to strike so, think you will be fine.
get used to yorkies the mail containers that sthe majority of the work,
i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/mult … 07145c.jpg

chrisil:
start royal mail next week on 7.5 t class 2. any tips would be great.

Nice steady easy job and well paid - what more could you ask?

You will probably be collecting and delivering yorks (cages) to and from a distribution centre. You will be usually assisted in loading and unloading - all tail-lift work.

Picture of York here: google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h … CDwQ9QEwBg

Most trucks are DAFs, 7.5 usually manuals and 17 tonners usually auto.

Enjoy it.

Drive like you stole it cut everyone up and you’ll fit in fine :wink: :wink: :wink:

Good on ya enjoy do your own thing …

Can I ask how did you apply for the job. Was it direct so through some agency ?

BALDTOM:
Can I ask how did you apply for the job. Was it direct so through some agency ?

Royal Mail jobs are hard to get. They train postmen to drive vans, van drivers to drive 7.5 tonners (they call them 600s), 7.5 tonneres to drive Class 2 … well you get the idea. Many RM drivers have been there for years and rarely leave.

Of course, for a few weeks before Christmas the are busy and use agency drivers (and sorters, etc). Come the first week in January it all goes back to normal.

It isn’t impossible to get in full-time, just not at all easy.

I used to work for RM in 1994, Glasgow APC.

Started the same way as many others, temp agency, then short contract (12 week contract I think it was)

Work initially was 7.5 or 17 between depots or transit collecting mail sacks around Glasgow. Occasional small van delivering registered mail or countryside stuff.

The part I most enjoyed was going to the airport to collect custom mail. Glasgow APC used to have its own customs processing dept. dunno if it still does.

The boring part of it was trailer swaps, once they discovered I had a class 1 it was onto night shifts driving to various motorway service stations to swap trailers with someone else.

All in all, as others have said, a good steady job with plenty of diversity and well paid too.
Also as others have said, VERY difficult to get taken on permanent.

Very difficult but not impossible. You are unlikely to even get an interview unless you have been there working via an agency for quite some time.
There is a system where they will promote internally before offering to outside applicants so a postman with HGV and no experience stands a better chance than an experienced outsider.

Agreed, not impossible. I’d already made plans to move to Nottingham in Jan '95.

I was called into see (I think the chap’s name was) Andy Gallagher just before the 12 weeks ran out and he was disappointed to hear I was moving away as he was going to extend my contract, presumably with a view to becoming permanent.

Tried to get into RM in Nottingham with a letter from Mr. Gallagher but they weren’t interested. January innit, all the agencies weren’t needed.

Shame but that’s how it goes I guess :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help. Will see if I can find an agency to start then. Cheers all.
And good luck Chisil.

m1cks:
Very difficult but not impossible. You are unlikely to even get an interview unless you have been there working via an agency for quite some time.
There is a system where they will promote internally before offering to outside applicants so a postman with HGV and no experience stands a better chance than an experienced outsider.

And…
Just now I am working as a postie with driving, Because it’s suits my family life (kids, Wife in college).
I knew about principles and ways how to get permanent on any from 7,5 to artics in RM
so that was a part of my plan.
In fact. Say I am in the queue and have all entitlements.
Senior postie goes for his test and gets this job before me.
So waiting can take up to 3 years!
I don’t have that much patience! :smiley: