Start my training tomorrow... is this normal?

Hi everyone!!

Planning on using this site a lot from now on after being a lurking reader for quite a while.

Passed all my theory stuff a few weeks ago and start my practical stuff tomorrow in Norwich.
Goes without saying I’m TOTALLY pooing myself just thinking about this week and what I need to learn and pass.

But reading a few threads I’m worried is my course long enough!?

Seeing a lot doing 5 or 6 days and a test…my course is Mon-Wed and a test this Thursday.

Is this the normal amount or am I even more under pressure? Lol

Thanks

How many hours a day? One to one? I would say average is 4 hours a day for four days with test on fifth, for a one to one course.

exit:
How many hours a day? One to one? I would say average is 4 hours a day for four days with test on fifth, for a one to one course.

Its really bad as I’m not even sure how many hours!

My sister paid and set the course up (she sold her house and had some spare money I’ll be paying back)
I’ve literally just concentrated on passing medical and theory test and trying to keep my nerves to a minimum.

I’ll try check now!

OK been through the paper work and even looked online and can see I’m on a 3 day intensive course with test Thursday… Can’t see specific hours per day etc :blush:

Total fail by me not even thinking to check lol

Suppose I will find out in the morning…GULP! :open_mouth:

Just chill. Do as you’re told and you’ll breeze it.

It’s not rocket science. The test is a doddle.

NOVE:
Just chill. Do as you’re told and you’ll breeze it.

It’s not rocket science. The test is a doddle.

:smiley: I hope you’re right lol

Off to bed but thanks for replies.
I’ll likely update what happens on Thursday as a daily blog will just make me worry more haha.

Cya

If one 2 one training then three days plus test is enough. hopefully you’ll have a good instructor and are able to listen and understand what is taught to you. If it’s 2 to 1 don’t make the mistake of sitting looking out the windows while the other person is driving. Listen to what the instructor tells them as it may also help you and you can see mistakes from a different perspective.
Also, don’t get yourself stressed about it. If your stressed your not going to absorb any information and it should be an enjoyable experience. No point entering a industry where your first experience was one of stress and horror. (That comes later in the job)
Good luck

m1cks:
If one 2 one training then three days plus test is enough. hopefully you’ll have a good instructor and are able to listen and understand what is taught to you. If it’s 2 to 1 don’t make the mistake of sitting looking out the windows while the other person is driving. Listen to what the instructor tells them as it may also help you and you can see mistakes from a different perspective.
Also, don’t get yourself stressed about it. If your stressed your not going to absorb any information and it should be an enjoyable experience. No point entering a industry where your first experience was one of stress and horror. (That comes later in the job)
Good luck

Thanks for this post to.

I’ll see how I go and just try absorb as much as I can and hope I take to it quickly.

Which company did your sister book the training with?

Is it the same company that is doing the actual training?

I do mine the same way, well all day wed/Thurs and half Friday then test Friday afternoon

ROG:

It was with HGV Training company…but doing the course with East Coast training.

Started today and it seems it’s 8-12 Mon/Tues/Wed and in at 6:30am on Thurs as my test is at 8:30am :open_mouth:

Today started pretty badly as I kept stalling and messing the gears up quite a bit…oh and hitting kerbs like I was getting paid to do it lol
Last hour or so of driving generally went better and only 1 or 2 issues.

I honestly cant think how I will be ready to take and pass my test by Thursday and its all quite daunting!!
Will hope to have a good morning tomorrow and get some reversing done as didnt get time today

Not sure if I had a good day or bad :confused: :laughing:

noney82:
I do mine the same way, well all day wed/Thurs and half Friday then test Friday afternoon

Is it 4 hours each day or more for you??

Good luck tho

onezeon:

ROG:

Started today and it seems it’s 8-12 Mon/Tues/Wed and in at 6:30am on Thurs as my test is at 8:30am :open_mouth:

Your sister got fleeced by a broker which is why you are on 4 days and not 5 - the broker used the 5th day cost for their own coffers

ROG:

onezeon:

ROG:

Your sister got fleeced by a broker which is why you are on 4 days and not 5 - the broker used the 5th day cost for their own coffers

:imp: Take it we should have went direct then :frowning:

Done now so just going to see how I get on and do the test…feeling quite low about it all after my 1st day but will just carry on

Its not about how good you are on day 1 its all about the rate of improvement over the course duration.

ROG:

This is not necessarily so. We always provide 4 day courses with the test on the last day. To be honest we prefer training 2:1 ratio for increased instructor contact time but we certainly do lots of 1:1 courses over 16 hours.

Did the trainer feel you improved significantly over the 4 hours ? Just as importantly did you ? Over the next day or 2 what seems impossible now will begin to feel the norm. Truthfully, there is not really that much to learn to pass the test so long as you have some natural driving ability and a lot of self belief and determination.

The most common mistakes people make at the start of courses are:-

Not slowing down early enough for hazards. This makes everything feel rushed like there are too many things to do at once. Slow right down much earlier and you will have more time to evaluate the situation.

Use the mirrors much much much more than in a car Perhaps 20 times more, then more than that.. Why so much mirrors ? Because there is such a small percentage of the entire area around the truck that the mirrors show and the situation is ever changing and that car drivers have so little patience with truck drivers that you need to see what they’re up to. I always say “If you could keep every car off the road for the test hour, this would be the easiest thing ever to pass”. If that is true it follows logically that it is the cars that make the test so difficult. KEEP AN EYE ON THEM AT ALL TIMES.

Keep the faith, you’ll be fine by Thursday

onezeon:
Take it we should have went direct then

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30889

LGVTrainer:
Its not about how good you are on day 1 its all about the rate of improvement over the course duration.

ROG:

This is not necessarily so. We always provide 4 day courses with the test on the last day. To be honest we prefer training 2:1 ratio for increased instructor contact time but we certainly do lots of 1:1 courses over 16 hours.

Did the trainer feel you improved significantly over the 4 hours ? Just as importantly did you ? Over the next day or 2 what seems impossible now will begin to feel the norm. Truthfully, there is not really that much to learn to pass the test so long as you have some natural driving ability and a lot of self belief and determination.

The most common mistakes people make at the start of courses are:-

Not slowing down early enough for hazards. This makes everything feel rushed like there are too many things to do at once. Slow right down much earlier and you will have more time to evaluate the situation.

Use the mirrors much much much more than in a car Perhaps 20 times more, then more than that.. Why so much mirrors ? Because there is such a small percentage of the entire area around the truck that the mirrors show and the situation is ever changing and that car drivers have so little patience with truck drivers that you need to see what they’re up to. I always say “If you could keep every car off the road for the test hour, this would be the easiest thing ever to pass”. If that is true it follows logically that it is the cars that make the test so difficult. KEEP AN EYE ON THEM AT ALL TIMES.

Keep the faith, you’ll be fine by Thursday

Thanks I’ll try remember this tomorrow.

I was certainly better at the end of today than I was at the start but personally I wasn’t happy.
Can’t imagine being sat next to an examiner in a few days without totally making a fool of myself.

Probably over worrying but I’ll see how I get on tomorrow and hope I feel more positive.

ROG:

onezeon:
Take it we should have went direct then

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30889

Cheers I’ll take a read later.