Start class c training on monday- NOW PASSED

Evening all. Woke up this morning, still no nerves, still looking forward to it and what did i see when i opened the curtains, 2 inches of snow. :exclamation: :exclamation:

Made my way to the training center in bookham, 7.30 start but i got there at 7.

Sorted all the paperwork out , met my instrutor, Paul, wot a smashing bloke.

Made our way to the farm where the trucks are kept, by this time nerves had set in, walked us round the truck, explained in detail what every button and knob does in the cab, then he drove us to guildford.

He pulled into a snowy, icy layby, asked if we need a wee then turned to me, and said your first. :open_mouth:

Well the truck is a Merc with a 12 speed box and a splitter, what a smashing truck to learn in.

Off i went, got all my mirror, signal manouver in the right place, had slight probs approaching junctions too fast then havting to break hard. :blush:

Pulled into the test centre at guilford for a coffee and to change drivers. I prob learnt as much from the other driver as i did from driving.

We drove 3 times each, averaging about 1 hour 15 mins.
I hit the curb only once when i saw the whites of another approaching truck drivers eyes, im so sorry to you if your on here. :blush:

There is so much to learn, but on the way back it sort of all clicked into place.

I sussed the gears out, i remembered about the mirrors and always checking my blind spot. On reflextion all the advice given on here has really helped, but its not as easy as it looks guys, you have to be so alert all the time and car drivers omg they have no idea about trucks at all :exclamation: :exclamation: .

I had a good day and cant wait for tomorrow. Will post more tomorrow fellas. :smiley:

Good read Johnny Boy 1 :smiley:

All the best for tomorrow :smiley:

Stu

wow 12 gears. is that like 6 over six or something? 8 is plenty for me! :slight_smile:

joedwyer1:
wow 12 gears. is that like 6 over six or something? 8 is plenty for me! :slight_smile:

Using this type of gearbox is easier to train with BUT can cause problems post test.

Imagine a straight 6 gearbox like the staight 6 in a car and then add a switch which splits each gear into high and low.

When the truck is empty, like on training & test, you can get away with only using the high mode in each gear so the splitter switch is never used just like driving a 6 speed car.

When the trainee comes across a range change gearbox for the first time - either on a post test C truck or worse, when starting C+E training, it can be a nightmare - imagine trying to learn a new type of gearbox and an artic at the same time :exclamation: :exclamation:

GEARBOX OPERATION - A simple intro (With Pics)

So true about car drivers having no clue! I have found though now I drive an arctic with no L plates they arent as bad as they were training or on test where they’re frightened to lose all of 10 seconds of there life waiting behind us :smiley:
Stay alert and drive safely and calmly and you wont go wrong mate :wink:

very best of luck to you fella :exclamation: :wink:

When I learned it was in a Scania 4 series with the range change four over four. Never had the pleasure of a splitter.

good luck your halfway there

so johnny boy. how did it go today?

Evening all.
Another good day, got into the habit of mirrors, mirrors and more mirrors.
First drive of the day went realy well untill second to last corner on the way back i rushed to get out of a junction, didnt think and mounted the kerb, get a earful from paul who was more updet cause id done so well previous to that.
Second drive was ok but for some reason i was approaching roundabouts far to fast and getting into a state, wrong gear, wrong lane and worst of all forgeting to indicate.
We stopped and had lunch on the hogs back, i gathered all my thoughts and on my last drive back to the yard it all came together, didnt put a foot wrong or wheel :laughing: ,
Off to dunsfold tomorrow to practice reversing, going to take my camara in case i run into the stig :open_mouth: Is it me or is it very tiring, im shattered today, worse than yesterday.
Im not used to concentrating on anything for more than 2 mins, ask my other half. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Anyway all in all not a bad day realy, will keep you all informed.
Cheers fellas, Keep smiling.

johnny boy 1:
Is it me or is it very tiring, im shattered today, worse than yesterday.

I have been trying to get this through to some companies and prospective newbies - it aint like ‘just driving’ :exclamation: :exclamation:

The human brain can only take so much before it goes on overload and at that point the concentration goes and the driving can become very dangerous.

Taking a break will not do the trick - it needs a long time for the average human brain to ‘recharge’ which usually means a good sleep.

Your so right rog, in hindsight i wish maybe id booked a day a week or somthing like that, your head starts spinning and your concentration goes just like that.
Not a lot i can do bout now though i spose, will be in bed realy early for friday though mate.

johnny boy 1:
Your so right rog, in hindsight i wish maybe id booked a day a week or somthing like that, your head starts spinning and your concentration goes just like that.

Most trainees usually cope quite well if on 2 to 1 all day training or on 1 to 1 half day training.

I had 2 and a half days 1 to 1 with test at the end of the 1/2 day,my head still hurts almost 2 yrs late :open_mouth:
Simon :sunglasses:

thegeordie:
I had 2 and a half days 1 to 1 with test at the end of the 1/2 day,my head still hurts almost 2 yrs late :open_mouth:

bet you want not recommend doing that to anyone for C training :exclamation: :exclamation:

sometimes OK for artic if trainee has had a lot of C driving experience

That was my C training ROG,to be honest Im glad I did it that way,although an hour after I passed my test I was admitted to hospital :open_mouth:

Evening all.
A Better day today, went to Dunsfold today,Reversing and brake test.
Was more nervous about the emergency stop routine for some reason.
Made a balls up on my first attempt on the reversing, done everything right but hit the barrier. was told i was to fast, shout be at a walknig pace and all done with the clutch, no gas or brakes, bugger me, second attempt was so much better, the result, 10 attempts and only the failure and that was my first attempt.
The controlled stop was making me nervous, first attempt was ok, lucke we all had a belts on :open_mouth: then it all just fell into place. 2 hours in the freezin cold all done and to quote ‘if you do that on friday you will have no probs’.
Had 1 more drive after that in the afternoon and im so relieved, its funny how after 2 days things like always checking your mirrors now come second nature. A few little probs to iron out, i check my mirrors when i move from a standing start but somtimes forget to check my blind spot.Hill start ive mastered, roundabouts im having slight probs with, get into a muddle a couple of times of when to indicate.
All in all i feel better in myself, not confident, but a lot less nervous behind the wheel. More tomorrow gents.

sounds like it’s going OK :smiley: :smiley:

roundabouts im having slight probs with, get into a muddle a couple of times of when to indicate.

Is that on the approach or when on the roundabout :question:

Rog, on the approach, time and time again i either try and squeese into 1 lane and end up cutting up other car drivers, or straddle two lanes when i dont need to. I was so much better on my last drive of the day to be honest. This morning i was approaching to fast, wrong gear and getting into a muddle, if i had that imaginary bucket of water, i would of been soaked :open_mouth: .
Got tomorrow to iron out these probs before my big day on fri, Got a 1.30 test, my instructor said a hour or so lesson before, then the test. Still not nervous, the only good thing is i do understand my mistakes, and i understand what i have to do to rectify them. Im enjoying though mate, cant wait to do my class c+e now.

You’ll get it with a bit more practice - it’s just a case of working out your exact course for the approach in relation to what you will need to enter and use on the roundabout itself.