Start class 2 in a week

Hi all first of all I’d just like to say I’m new to the forum this is my first post so take it easy :smiley: I’m starting my new job in just over a week now driving class 2 for a builders merchant :slight_smile: hiab multi drop work any tips or friendly advice? I’ve already been told I should seriously consider getting a truck say nav for this kind of work but anything else would be greatly appreciated :laughing:

Awwwww I think you’re so cute, you keep smiling at us all. Good luck in finding a truck say nav.

In my opinion, do not drive a truck using a car sat nav.
A truck sat nav will help with weight limits and low bridges.I have a Snooper S 7000,it has freeview Tv, which is great for nights out.
It also plans ADR routes, live incidents to avoid, such as accidents and road closures, i can enter up to 16 multi drops.
Phonebitz at most Msa`s sell them, ask for a discount on the MRP.
On your line of work, expect awkward unloading spots that will be tight to get in and out, if the customer is there, ask them to stop the traffic if you have to reverse in off the main road.
Most of your work maybe driving in rural areas, and is to be expected for some minor cosmetic damage to the truck, such as broken mirror lenses, or branches and trees scratching the sides.
You will see cars doing 60 mph in the lanes, that speed is not exaggerated, they think it is a Formulae 1 race track, and will not give way to you or slow down.
If driving with the windows down, some foam ear plugs will prevent deafness in later years.
Above all, take your time, enjoy the scenery, relax.
In the mornings it will be a mad rush to get all the trucks loaded, and you may come back several times to collect more loads.
Last thing at night, they may load you up for the next day.
Record and list the pre-trip safety checks, allow 15 minutes to check the vehicle and load.They should supply you with a book for this.
Watch out for un-marked Police cars behind you, and try and adhere to the speed limits.

Nice one! Good luck in your new job!

Don’t bother with the satnav, I presume it will be local work, so just learn the area. Last place you need your attention as a new driver is on a satnav screen. Concentrate! I’ve just ordered 2 pallets of red bricks for my new conservatory. Pop in and i’ll brew up.

I disagree with the above post, as a new driver the last thing you want to worry about on top of everything else is how to safely get where you’re going. A truck sat nav is a boon, just remember though it’s just a tool and it can get things wrong so use your head too! :slight_smile:

Good luck in the new job, enjoy it!

As already said, a sat nav is a good idea takes some of the hassle out of finding your way about, dont want to be stopping every 15 mins to look at an a-z.truck sat nav might be ok but building supplies to private houses will be inside weight limits so you cant avoid them, had the same with B&Q you got to get where you got to get.
Well done on the job and good luck and dont rush take your time. Used to get to a customers house with b&q unloading happened to mention “thirsty work this” customer would say oh do you want a cuppa? Lol

Jeff.