Start C+E training, Hindleygreen LGV, Wednesday 3rd oct

wheelyb:
… got a serious marked down for not storing the air lines to move the unit 5 metres doing the coupling, how bloody petty! I was livid! It’s not as if I got a serious out on the road!
The air lines are on purpose made industrial strength springs and colour coded and dont even touch the full width/length walkway!! But rules are rules I suppose.

I think it is a safety issue as in many cases the lines could potentially drop and get caught up - that may not be the case on your particular vehicle but could be on most others therefore a general safety rule is imposed - that is my understanding

Guttered for you mate.

The examiner could have been a bit leaniant(if thats how you spell it :blush: )

Wasnt like you mounted the curb or ran a red light :imp:

But has been said rules are rules :unamused:

I failed my test on the reverse went out on the road came back with 2 minors even though I knew I had failed before going out

So yep know how you feel but you have come this far go for it again you know were you went wrong so you wont make same mistake agin

Gutted for you wheelyb :frowning: :frowning: don’t give up though, your day will come .

Feel for u mate so sorry , heres to fingers crossed that he can get u that retest asap,
I didnt know you could fail for not storing the lines , the places i have been too half the drivers just leave them hanging and i get covered in grease from them when connecting up , so thought the storing of them was just for cleanliness ,

jx

ROG:

wheelyb:
… got a serious marked down for not storing the air lines to move the unit 5 metres doing the coupling, how bloody petty! I was livid! It’s not as if I got a serious out on the road!
The air lines are on purpose made industrial strength springs and colour coded and dont even touch the full width/length walkway!! But rules are rules I suppose.

I think it is a safety issue as in many cases the lines could potentially drop and get caught up - that may not be the case on your particular vehicle but could be on most others therefore a general safety rule is imposed - that is my understanding

Could have gave you a couple of minor points, and then explained to you the reason why.
You would have thought common sense would have prevailed?

jackg:

ROG:

wheelyb:

Could have gave you a couple of minor points, and then explained to you the reason why.
You would have thought common sense would have prevailed?

This is the DSA we are talking about !!!

i was following a tractor unit once in my car and the suzies were hanging off the truck dragging along the road :unamused: , so its hardly petty failing to stow the lines correctly ! Tried to get him to pull over , but the driver was oblivous . Followed him for about 10 miles , obviously not one to bother looking in his mirrors :confused:

cheers mike

p.s. good luck for next time :wink:

Just thought a quick post on this may help others.

Tony was really unlucky to get such a pathetic examiner showing NO common sense whatsoever :imp: .
I have (as Tony stated) the standard colour coded industrial strength springs fitted on the top edge of the tractor unit. These springs hold the airlines/suzies up away from the catwalk.
When the airlines have been disconnected they are suspended in a safe manor, not obstructing nor lay on the catwalk. They can’t go anywhere.
I fully understand that if the tractor unit was being driven solo off the test area they should be secured in the correct stowing points.
For the 3 years that i’ve owned this training vehicle and the countless number of tests its been used for this has never ever been a problem.

Tony picked up 6 minor faults, spread over the sheet so not enough in any one area to be of concern in fact he produced a very good safe drive. His 1 serious fault was the uncoupling exercise.

Upon hearing the debrief i immediatly went to see the senior examinor and calmly gave him my complaint. The examinor came to look at the springs used to get a clear view and understanding of my complaint.
He spoke to me later that day giving me the official line/response to my complaint.

It read.

During the exercise with an artic the ‘suzies’ must be stowed correctly and not allowed to trail. The object of the uncoupling exercise is to check that the driver parks the trailer safely as though he was leaving it there and also makes the towing vehicle fit for road use.

At the end of the day the examinor in question did everything by the book :unamused: .

Unfortunately the book doesn’t always get it right.
A very good driver was let down by an examinor that needs to take a reality check.

I myself have learned a valuable lesson here. Leave no stone unturned and plan for everything because favours are short lived with the DSA (double standards agency).

Of course in future everyone will stow away safely the suzies :blush: