Staplehurst Transits

Hi all,
Anyone worked for Staplehurst transits in kent and whats the money like etc …

Thanks … :laughing:

I don’t know but will throw in a bit of trivia. They are called Staplehurst Transits because they started off running Ford Transit vans.

Harry Monk:
I don’t know but will throw in a bit of trivia. They are called Staplehurst Transits because they started off running Ford Transit vans.

Do they still pay transit drivers wages though? :laughing:

They do a lot of the whole sale fruit markets. Sorry don’t know about the wages :blush:

i know one of their drivers was in the bad books at Truckfest Peterborough earlier this year

they had fully refurbed a 4 series scania, he reversed it off the low loader trailer, straight in to the front of another truck :unamused:

I Hurd thay pay well we go into there yard slot thay give us runs to Brighton London mkts all scania fleet good guys there thay do same as us 3up 3down all market work

worked for them late 90,s lasted a day and a half before i told em to shove it. was asked at interview if i wanted days or nights said days but wasnt told day shift started at miday .in and out of little farms then unloading urself on return then loading up night drivers, on second day about 6pm told em just gona take 10 mins to scoff me sarnies, was told by forman we dont stop here for lunch so i just told em to shove it and got in me car and went.in those days most of the fleet was old but very well looked after bit newer now tho.

One of the last firms doing Wholesale fruit and veg market work. So that means being at the markets during the hours they expect deliveries. There will also of course be collections from farm packhouses. The yard has been expanded in recent years and is a very smart operation. I live within four miles of the yard, but know little else other than it suited a (deceased) friend of mine who liked the atmosphere and that I have never seen a dirty or shabby vehicle. When Curly died there was a large contingent from the company at the funeral. As for money, whether it is true or not I don’t know, but rumour has it to be trip money possibly. The best thing I have witnessed was when they pulled two lorries out of Cross and Wells in Sittingbourne, because the wait to load was too long.

Edit to add.

Long article in May 2010 Classic and Vintage Commercials.

cav551:
One of the last firms doing Wholesale fruit and veg market work. So that means being at the markets during the hours they expect deliveries. There will also of course be collections from farm packhouses. The yard has been expanded in recent years and is a very smart operation. I live within four miles of the yard, but know little else other than it suited a (deceased) friend of mine who liked the atmosphere and that I have never seen a dirty or shabby vehicle. When Curly died there was a large contingent from the company at the funeral. As for money, whether it is true or not I don’t know, but rumour has it to be trip money possibly. The best thing I have witnessed was when they pulled two lorries out of Cross and Wells in Sittingbourne, because the wait to load was too long.

Edit to add.

Long article in May 2010 Classic and Vintage Commercials.

One of the last? I know loads that do markets.

Well a quick reckoning produced 10 within a rough 15-20 mile radius of Staplehurst that have gone.
The firms have either gone or the work isn’t there any longer in such quantity. Nine Elms is a shadow of what it was once.

are you sure about that Harry? weren’t they called staplehurst transport, or refrigerated transport years ago? I seem to recall only a few years ago seeing the transit words on the reefers and thinking that was a new name. Also, they seem to have expanded hugely over the past few years.

DADDY LONGLEGS:
are you sure about that Harry?

It must be true, I heard it in a Tesco RDC waiting room. :wink:

There was an article about them in T&D or Trucking last year? Or maybe the year before?