Stamford weight limit A1 shut

A1 were shut last night at A6121 Stamford the official diversion put you back heading south on A1 WTF so I went through Stamford. Whoopsie daisy but I felt I had no choice. Got some funny looks from pedestrians hoping there’s no cameras that would of caught me. Anyone know?

You will be ok, there are no cameras. It’s pretty much broken all the time. From time to time there will be a high profile day or two where police stop vehicles but that’s few and far between.
Once I moved away from Stamford I still used to park up there for the night visiting parents. If I had been stopped I would have been on my way to the tyre depot.

ERFMarc:
You will be ok, there are no cameras. It’s pretty much broken all the time. From time to time there will be a high profile day or two where police stop vehicles but that’s few and far between.
Once I moved away from Stamford I still used to park up there for the night visiting parents. If I had been stopped I would have been on my way to the tyre depot.

It doesnt send you south. I went on it myself last night and if you follow the signs it sends you north coming back on a1 before the jet garage

damionp:
It doesnt send you south. I went on it myself last night and if you follow the signs it sends you north coming back on a1 before the jet garage

It sent me south last night about 2200hrs. Had to get turned and back up through Stamford.

Does it send you into Stamford on A6121 then back out on A606? last friday it brought us off at A47 then across to the A6003 at Uppingham then up to Oakham then A606 back to the A1 it was a right pain put 25 mins on the night.

rustyoldbolt:
Does it send you into Stamford on A6121 then back out on A606? last friday it brought us off at A47 then across to the A6003 at Uppingham then up to Oakham then A606 back to the A1 it was a right pain put 25 mins on the night.

It seems to be changing every few days. It’s always shut somewhere. South bound is worse.

Sometimes it can take you off at the A47 and not take you back to the A1 until the A607 at Grantham after diverting you through Oakham and Melton Mowbray.

Stamford is ‘except for access’ apart from the main bridge over the River Welland which is strictly 7.5 tonnes. However once your going over that it gets a little bit tight for an artic with lots of overhanging buildings so its always best to approach from the northern routes (A6121/A606)

As Marc says there are no cameras in Stamford but I think that when you took the diversion onto the southbound carriageway you may have missed the right turn sign halfway round the slip rd. This would have taken you through the temporarily relaxed weight limit round Casterton Heights about a quarter of a mile to the old A1 where you turn left up through Casterton on rejoin the A1 by the OK Diner at Bloody Oaks.

The diversion last night was off at the a47. I met all the traffic as i was coming across from leicester to peterborough.

I remember when the A1 went straight through Stamford.

FLIP:
As Marc says there are no cameras in Stamford but I think that when you took the diversion onto the southbound carriageway you may have missed the right turn sign halfway round the slip rd. This would have taken you through the temporarily relaxed weight limit round Casterton Heights about a quarter of a mile to the old A1 where you turn left up through Casterton on rejoin the A1 by the OK Diner at Bloody Oaks.

Shall we tell them where to blow their horns near Panda’s house?

pavaroti:
A1 were shut last night at A6121 Stamford the official diversion put you back heading south on A1 WTF so I went through Stamford. Whoopsie daisy but I felt I had no choice. Got some funny looks from pedestrians hoping there’s no cameras that would of caught me. Anyone know?

From my past days I can say there are CCTV which is worked on by local council and Police, but that’s if there working mind you.

I went up that way and it put an hour on my driving time just to use the A47 which then diverted me to Oakham and then caught the A1 from there. Big diversion just for missing out 3 miles of the A1

Was you in the Turners lorry by any chance and did a U turn at Wittering?

Santa:
I remember when the A1 went straight through Stamford.

Santa with your age I think you might remember a lot of roads as you been around the world a few times :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Where did the A1 run? just for my young mind

mickyblue:

London to Edinburgh. Hth. :wink:

ERFMarc:

FLIP:

Shall we tell them where to blow their horns near Panda’s house?

Yes Marc. By Panda and Braddy’s houses :wink: :slight_smile::slight_smile:

the maoster:

mickyblue:

London to Edinburgh. Hth. :wink:

Good spot there, good spot.

What I meant is the diversion! :smiley: :smiley:

I’m loving these diversions at the moment, no pre warnings, no signage & no matrix warnings. Just off at the A47 on wed night. It was the same on the A12 later on, no warnings just road closed & off. ■■■■■■

Slackbladder:
I’m loving these diversions at the moment, no pre warnings, no signage & no matrix warnings. Just off at the A47 on wed night. It was the same on the A12 later on, no warnings just road closed & off. [zb].

I agree

Also a friend of mine who rides his cycle to work from Stamford down to Peterborough said that a female officer was sitting on the A43 jct in Stamford. She was seen to be talking to a lorry driver who in turn was giving her mouth about the diversions, like it is her fault.

Looks like the locals are moaning that a big dirty truck is coming through Stamford and going over that little tiny bridge!