Stainmore Cafe on A66

Just a heads up that Stainmore Cafe on the top on the A66 has been under new management for the last 4 weeks and things are massively improved since it got taken over.

They’re open Monday to Friday 7am-10pm and Saturday 8am-4pm and you can actually rely on them being open unlike the previous people who ran it. HGV drivers get served first when they’re busy. They’re currently in the process of sorting out the HGV parking area to fill in the mini lakes.

That’s good news. It had lost my custom (and I’m sure the custom of lots of others too) due to the haphazard nature of whether or not they’d actually be open whenever I passed. I just gave up in the end and took my business elsewhere.

Is that 7am till 10pm? Or open just in the evenings? Seems a shame if it is not open in the mornings, and at lunchtime.

I am never likely to go that way again but I remember with great fondness the brilliant atmosphere in there on winter eveings and the roaring fire in the grate,

It’s from 7am to 10pm.

Like you I stopped for the same reason. Not been in personally since the change of ownership as my shoulder is knackered so I’ve been off the Scottish trunks cos I can’t strap the chipboard we bring back on return run down tight enough.

Food and service getting some good reviews on the A66 Scotch Corner To Penrith facebook group though. Apparently HGV parking is very busy now.

1 Like

Is that site secure overnight now? (as far as secure goes that is)
There was a few trailers and tanks getting robbed there at one point I was told.

Nah it’ll never be secure mate unless they spend a shed load of money on security fencing and gates, but judging by the amount of full lay bys along the 66 security isn’t the primary concern for many.

Thanks, that’s good news for those who regularly use the route.

Them Mini Lakes would put anybody off of parking there lol , And that was years ago. dread to think what they are like now.