Stacking pallets legal(ish) advice

Evening all,

I work for one of the palletized networks. So the load is basically helter-skelter i.e. not a uniform load.

I refuse to stack pallets onto others (example: manifested 26 spaces on a straight frame, but they don’t fit as pallets can be wider than UK standard). Now the office and depot manager are trying to order me to stack when their manifest(ed) errors re space used materialize while loading. I still refuse (load/product safety).

What can/can’t they do when I continue refusing? Who has the last (overriding) say, legally? Are they able to discipline me if it continues?

Does it change anything if I agree i.e. when loading small pallets that can and are safe to be stacked? Are they able to hold that against me for future requests/orders?

Any help/input is much appreciated.

Ta, Axel

Good job you dont do event work, or continental stuff, or other things where they use the full cubic space of the trailer… or wood, where packs are stacked…

There nothing wrong with stacking pallets so long as things can be secured sufficiently.

Ultimately the security if the load is up to you. But its also worth remembering the trailer is a big old space that can be filled using more than just pallet count.

Load safety is one thing, product safety is another if you’re talking about damage to stuff you’re carrying.
If it can be loaded safely but could result in damaging other stuff it really shouldn’t be loaded should it?
Of course if management want to take responsibility for damage and insist that you take the extra pallets then as long as you can secure them there really isn’t any reason not to take them is there.

Pallet networks are notorious for a mix match of badly loaded trailers & I’m surprised they haven’t been pulled more by vosa.

My advice is find a better job as they are unlikely to tolerate for long i guess

I always think…would I stack those pallets if it was a flat bed trailer? Of course that was the days before XL load bearing curtains but in my eyes if a pallet was to collapse and only held by the curtain then you are in trouble. At the end of the day you are the captain of the ship is what my old mentor used to say.

Even if the pallets are under 400 kg if they are double stacked then they must be secured.

You need to man up or move on of course you can double stack pallets

I would say office has last say on this matter, and could say you are refusing to do a reasonable task as part of your job role

Aggel321:
Evening all,

I work for one of the palletized networks. So the load is basically helter-skelter i.e. not a uniform load.

I refuse to stack pallets onto others (example: manifested 26 spaces on a straight frame, but they don’t fit as pallets can be wider than UK standard). Now the office and depot manager are trying to order me to stack when their manifest(ed) errors re space used materialize while loading. I still refuse (load/product safety).

What can/can’t they do when I continue refusing? Who has the last (overriding) say, legally? Are they able to discipline me if it continues?

Does it change anything if I agree i.e. when loading small pallets that can and are safe to be stacked? Are they able to hold that against me for future requests/orders?

Ta, Axel[/quote

Do as you are told,if there`s any damage done its not your problem.However if its a case of the pallets being insecure or unsafe whilst in transit ie bottom pallet smaller or lighter than the top then refuse as you are the one responsible out on the road as you loaded it,and daft enough to take it out knowing how it was loaded

Aggel321:
Evening all,

Ta, Axel

Dont be a hero. At the end of the day if it goes ■■■■ up its your driving licence on the line. If you think that the vehicle is in an unsafe condition then dont take it out.

When I was insane enough to do this stuff, I worked on the principle of what happens of I have to brake hard or swerve. If the bottom pallets are solid and importantly strapped (not just internals) then smaller lighter pallets could go on top. If there was a risk of the bottom pallet moving or collapsing then no.

You just have to make a judgement, but both top and bottom pallet must be strapped independently. No single strap for both.

What could they do, erm, fire you depending how long you worked there or just get rid if you on agency, but ultimately its your licence and you who goes to prison in the most extreme circumstances.

So glad I never have to worry about that again.

The pallet which is double stacked is still subject to load restraint rules… i.e 100% forward motion, 50% sideways and backwards. This is what we have been trained to do.

So if it will move forward under heavy braking or collision then its not safe…

I used to do pallet network deliveries and would go out daily with double stacked pallets, the only pallets I’d refuse double stacked were ADR!!

As long as the pallets are stable and well strapped there shouldn’t be an issue!!