St. Ives info please

Hello ladies :grimacing: .

I’m having a tootle down to the Wall of Corn tomorrow, to a caravan park near St. Ives, for a Monday morning dis-load. I have a 45000 litre septic tank, 2.5 m diameter x 9m long, to deliver and another 2 following on artic’s that I have to tranship onto my wagon and deliver. Access to the park is supposedly quite tight, hence the transhippery.

Does anyone know of anywhere industrial estate-ish where we can get an artic and a rigid side by side to effect said manoeuvre? And what sort of drive time are we looking at from North Yorkshire to St. Ives?

Thankly most dankly.

As St Ives is a bit tight, I would contact local plod for help and assistance.

I’m not a trucker yet but lived down that neck of the woods for 8 years, only way down really is a30 from Exeter, there are a couple of industrial estates by truro, first exit off of chivertan cross roundabout, there about an hour from St ives, or there’s one in camborne, which is further down the a30, u will need the first camborne exit, that’s about 30 mins from St ives or at the Hayle round about there is a small services first exit off roundabout, i’m memory serves correct there’s space there by garage, that’s about 15 mins from St ives, hope that helps

Driving time a good 8 to 9 hours if not delayed in congestion or accidents.
Southbound Birmingham is a nightmare with only one lane open for road works, it grounds to halt near Cannock to South of Birmingham at peak times.
It may pay to use the toll road.
Parking to tranship in St Ives on Penbeagle industrial estate.
Dvsa check sites are open for business near Stafford,and Sandbach.
Then there is a checkpoint on the exit to Tiverton on the M5.
Plenty of tea and buttie vans on the road to Cornwall.
The Hollies truckstop is good food and good
value,come off the M6 to Cannock.Junction 12.

Any good?

How close do you need to get to transship?

Best part of the first 40 years of my life living in Penzance, don’t go “home” very often these days, but if it helps, Gordano 3 1/2 hours, Michelwood just over 4 hours, a clear run and not too tight a limiter could do Strensham in one hit if everything went right.

Depends on how you define N Yorkshire as to how many more hours you’re adding to the run.

Some parts around St Ives are very tight and also some steep hills, so good luck there.

Not been off the main roads down there for many years, but there used to be a sizeable industrial estate in Poole (old A30 near Camborne) that might suit your transshipping needs.

As memory serves the Shell garage in the last pic above isn’t that big and might not be suitable for parking/ transshipping.

Threemilestone estate isn’t all that big as posted further up Its always busy . Not much around St Ives rubbish roads all the way in.

Theres the recently built Cornwall Services, at Roche, and bit further along the road is the old services both plenty of room to fit side by side. I go too most of the industrial estates weekly, none of them have much room and always busy.

cornwall-services.com/truckers/

cornwall services is best bet, hour drive to st ives. off A30 PL26 8UF

Could try smokey joes café, trucker friendly with parking, 15 mins to st ives, Located at scorrier TR16 5BJ. www.smokeyjoesofcornwall.co.uk

don’t even think about the ind est in st ives, and most other estates and services are small or too busy.

when heading into st ives, Dont use the a3074 through carbis bay, take a left at the roundabout which is clearly marked for hgv route into the town. (unless the delivey point is actually in carbis bay). avoid the town centre as you will likely get stuck.

hope this helps!

There is an industrial estate on the south side of the Hayle by-pass just off the roundabout in the old St Ivel dairy right on the side of the A30 just before St Erth.
As has been said before, do NOT enter St Ives via Carbis Bay (you’ll be on youtube next week), follow the HGV diversion.

Hello ladies :grimacing: (again!)

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Have just arrived at the park, which is a minute away from the Halsetown Inn which is annoyingly closed :unamused: . For once, I just fancied a pint before bed.

Anyroad, there’s plenty of room to get the artic’s in and perform transhippery, so no parking problems. As an aside, I rang Smokey Joe’s at Scorrier and when I explained the situation to them, they were more than happy to do it there, if need be. Top marks to them, might call in for a pot of tea on the way back :grimacing: .

Sounds like Polmanter touring park, cracking little site!

Find the nearest Tescos - apparently they’re quite helpful :smiley: :smiley:

Switchlogic loves shop till he drops at Tesco, apparently they give the Vip treatment to lorry drivers, and secuity guards make you a hot cuppa.

kevin0410:

Correct!

Did the transshippery on the late arrivals area, quite good fun arranging an artic and a 12m rigid to perform hiabbery :grimacing: .

Site looks very nice too. Would be tempted to stay there, but why travel to Cornwall when our beloved Yorkshire has all the same, and more, and is so much nearer? :smiley:

threewheelsonmywagon:

kevin0410:

Correct!

Did the transshippery on the late arrivals area, quite good fun arranging an artic and a 12m rigid to perform hiabbery :grimacing: .

Site looks very nice too. Would be tempted to stay there, but why travel to Cornwall when our beloved Yorkshire has all the same, and more, and is so much nearer? :smiley:

Because it is not Yorkshire LOL