St helens test centre WA9 1NS wrong distance eyesight test

I read that the eyesight test is done from 20 metres. Well today I watched a couple of people were asked to do this from 25 metres!!!
They were asked to stand on the kerb that runs directly next to where it says car test parking and asked to read a number plate from the cars parked where it says Examiner parking, now if you measure this distance on google maps it is 25 metres!!! The accuracy of the measurement can be confirmed by measuring the distance using the same tool on google maps on the tarmacked area behind the test centre of the HGV reversing area which is marked out in metres and WILL be accurate. I wonder how many people have wrongly failed the eyesight test and failed their test straight away?

measurement 1

Measurement 2

Good.
I’d rather they could at least see 25m

+1
Even 25 metres is still a very low standard to aim for.

Zac_A:
+1
Even 25 metres is still a very low standard to aim for.

Thats not the point though is it, the requirement is 20 metres and they are being asked to do it from 25 metres, it is wrong, maybe someone made a mistake when they was measuring it initially. It is a 25% difference from the requirement.

If the candidate is unable to read the number from the initial distance, the examiner will walk them a little closer. If still unable to read it, the examiner should fetch a tape measure and accurately measure the distance. At least that’s how it used to be years back.

Driveroneuk:
If the candidate is unable to read the number from the initial distance, the examiner will walk them a little closer. If still unable to read it, the examiner should fetch a tape measure and accurately measure the distance. At least that’s how it used to be years back.

I believe they still do it that way, but, why don’t they do it from the correct distance to start with, having to get the tape measure out because the candidate cannot read the initial number plate from the wrong distance is not really a good way to start a driving test for what might be an already very nervous candidate, just my opinion.

shullbit:

Driveroneuk:

I believe they still do it that way, but, why don’t they do it from the correct distance to start with, having to get the tape measure out because the candidate cannot read the initial number plate from the wrong distance is not really a good way to start a driving test for what might be an already very nervous candidate, just my opinion.

I agree. My late Father was an examiner, that’s how I knew the process. I don’t think the ‘read a number plate’ eyesight test is sufficient, I think drivers should have to have a proper eye test at an opticians, then repeated every 5 years.

when i did my test i couldnt read the plate but by chance i was wearing a Royal Navy issue sweater .The examiner said "youre in the navy right? " i said yes and he said your eyesight must be ok ,carry on

Reading a number Plate from 25 yds, I’ve not done that since applying for my license to drive a chariot in the colosseum … ( did you know the 25 yd measurement was started by the police so they could catch a get away driver !!! And then it was the Eye Charts !!! Which went out with the Ark over here. We use a Machine for testing, even color blind tests are done electronically with lights although if you fail the color test they bring out the Ishihara book. The Machines work on random letter selection so unlike the chart on the wall you can’t memorize then! :laughing: :blush:

They are currently trialling the eye sight checks on an iPad. So it won’t matter for much longer. They will also be able to change the colour to yellow if that is preferable for the candidate. It will also generate different number plates, as many candidates can be seen in the car park trying to memorise visible plates before their test!

Also, as already mentioned, if a candidate struggles, they will be moved forwards, and then a tape measure will be used for an accurate measurement. However, they are also allowed to get letters and numbers in the wrong order in case of dyslexia, and also they will often be allowed to pass if they get ‘close’ like reading a ‘5’ for an ‘S’ for example. They can even write it down if they struggle to convey it in words.

So to be honest, they have many opportunities and much leeway to get it right, and if all that fails, they really shouldn’t be driving.

Sabretooth:
Reading a number Plate from 25 yds, I’ve not done that since applying for my license to drive a chariot in the colosseum … ( did you know the 25 yd measurement was started by the police so they could catch a get away driver !!! And then it was the Eye Charts !!! Which went out with the Ark over here. We use a Machine for testing, even color blind tests are done electronically with lights although if you fail the color test they bring out the Ishihara book. The Machines work on random letter selection so unlike the chart on the wall you can’t memorize then! :laughing: :blush:

iv taken a few of the Ishihara tests over the years . Came to realize that the answer is written on the opposite page leaf in the bottom corner ,is in pencil,tiny numerals. Imagine that is so whoever the tester is can say yes or no even if theyre colour blind themselves

shullbit:

Driveroneuk:

Well you’re splitting hairs, as far as I can see (sic).
I expect that it’s easier, “from the kerb” and safer for the examiner and candidate, instead of halfway across the roadway. After all, it’s a test centre, there will be nervous learner drivers circulating all the time. Also, it’s better to err on the longer distance and adjust if required, rather than step out into the roadway for the eyesight test, as a matter of course.