SSP Quarry

I have been on the sick for a few weeks, in the process of havin some tests

My boss is paying me ssp but not happy about it as he say it is costin him money I said he can claim it back on his Tax next yr , but the TM disagrees with me and says he cant now It is also not that busy at the moment and boss is talking about layin drivers off how do I stand on this?

Yes I have discussed this with other people and they say I am right

Technically your boss is right - it will be costing him money paying you SSP.

Your boss calculates 13% of his total Class 1 National Insurance contributions for each month then reclaims any SSP paid (to all employees) above this 13% figure. Ultimately, he does lose out.

Check it out with the tax office!

As for laying you off, I would seek advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau. Payroll I can do - law I cannot!

i do remember when i did engineering that when it came to layoffs they laid off the people who were on the sick 1 st[ i.e 50 layoffs, 10 on sick, only 40 who were at work were laid off]
whether that was legal or not i dont know .

a lot off companys ive worked with if a driver didnt turn out sick or not you never saw them again the lorry has to go out one driver in one out long term sickness in this industry unless youre well in and proved youre worth to a boss just doesnt happen very often they want loyalty but give none back they cant afford to lol another driver to them is a phonecall away 10p call is cheaper and less hassle

Glad my lot ain’t like that! :open_mouth:

He only talks about laying drivers off and downsizing if it goes quiet for a day or so then when it picks up he talks of talkin more driver on and increasing the fleet yes he can be very fickle like that :smiling_imp: :unamused:

Sounds like an idiot. I’d be looking elsewhere, sharpish - hell, you’ll get the same money signed direct through the DSS (or whatever they call themselves these days) and none of the aggro when you return.

Legally, he has to pay you SSP for 26 weeks IIRC. After that you go on Incapacity through the folks above. It’s illegal for him to sack you for being sick, although he can make you redundant under the usual terms.

Good luck. :wink:

Lucy:
you’ll get the same money signed direct through the DSS (or whatever they call themselves these days)

It’s the Department for Work & Pensions (DWP).

Same crap service - different name!

Lucy,
I have always understood that a boss CAN sack when you are sick, as you are unable to fulfill your contract.

Not as far as I know, else trust me, I’d have been booted long ago!!! :wink:

del949:
Lucy,
I have always understood that a boss CAN sack when you are sick, as you are unable to fulfill your contract.

You wouldn’t get away with that in a modern day employment contract! Even if it was in, I doubt it would carry any weight at an employment tribunal.