Spuds etc

Years ago when I was a lad, we had a good size garden which we grew almost every type of veg going including some soft fruit.

Now does anyone still grow their own and has anyone grown spuds in bags or buckets?
Any takers on giving tips on the best spuds to grow etc

I tried growing vegetables years ago, dug the back garden over, planted carrots, lettuce etc and about 20 pounds of spuds (Maris Piper variety).
Just our luck, this was 1976, three month heatwave and drought (hosepipe ban!) so come harvest time all we got was about 20 pounds of spuds, just as much as planted!

Seriously, you would normally do much better than that, don’t need a lot of space, farmers reckon at least 10 tons of spuds from an acre (22400 lb from 4840 sq yds = 4.6 lb/sq yd) but you could plant more densely than they do.

Now I’ve had time to look it up, if you Google “How to grow potatoes in a pot” there is a helpful guide which should give you the info you need, if you can’t find it I could post a link.

Buckstones:
Now I’ve had time to look it up, if you Google “How to grow potatoes in a pot” there is a helpful guide which should give you the info you need, if you can’t find it I could post a link.

Yeah I’ve done the liking I was wondering if anyone had grown em in pots or bags before and what type of spud

What do you want to do with them? Mash? Chips? Roast?

mucker85:
What do you want to do with them? Mash? Chips? Roast?

Boiled mainly