Sprinter van & towing (DCPC Question)

Ok. LWB flatbed sprinter which can tow up to 2260kg. I’m 100% sure anybody towing would need DCPC.

according to our fleet division a driver who has “grandfather rights” for Towing doesn’t require his DCPC to tow…

B+E as far as I’m aware can be any combination upto a MAM of 4250kg?

I.e 2250kg van can tow 2000kg trailer but because
A: the trailer is more than 750kg, and
B: the combination exceeds 3500kg
I reckon the driver would be required to have his DCPC. I pointed out to him that he’s using his tachograph card because he’s towing therefore I’m sure he’d need DCPC.

Who’s right? Me or our fleet dept?

Thanks in advance

You are right, the 3,500 is the key.

No dcpc if the tow vehicle is a regular 3.5t Sprinter.

Just to add he will need to use the tacho.

As far as I’m aware you won’t need a DCPC, as it to do with the licence required not the weight of the vehicle.

DCPC are required for vocational licence holders, and you don’t need a vocational licence for a van and trailer just a B+E

DCPC is for vehicles in the C & D categories (LGV & PCV)
A vehicle under 3500 GVW is in B category unless it has more than 9 seats in total

Many are getting confused with the tacho rules on combinations where the total of the plated MAMs is over 3500 and the DCPC - I have answered this same question on a few different forums

A flatbed sprinter towing a trailer commercially is likely to need Operator licence and will come under full EU tacho regs unless an exemption applies

My understanding is no dcpc needed for a cat B tow vehicle, so cars, 4x4, vans to 3500.

But as said will need tacho & if for hire & reward rather than own goods, will need to be on the o licence (a pointless retarded reg, but there ya go) & the stupidest bit if trailer over 1020kg unladen tow vehicle needs to be o licenced even if not hire & reward

thelorryist:
B+E as far as I’m aware can be any combination upto a MAM of 4250kg?

That is B not B+E

B can be 4250 if towing a 750 kg MAM trailer but if trailer over 750 MAM then the combination MAM max is 3500 kg (vehicle GVW added to trailer MAM)

B+E now has a max combined MAM of 7000 kg by default*

*Any trailer over 3500 kg MAM now comes into LGV C1+E category which in reality means a B category vehicle towing a trailer with air or electric brakes which is over 3500 kg plated MAM = very few do that out of the millions of motorists in the UK

thelorryist:
Who’s right? Me or our fleet dept?

Neither are spot on

Simple rule for both you and fleet dept - If the vehicle has 9 seats total or less and is not more than 3500 GVW it does not come under DCPC - trailers have nothing to do with it