Spray supression prohibition

a mate of mine has been given a suspended prohibition.
he’s driving a scania that was on Republic of Ireland plates some years ago, It’s been re registered in the north and passed its MOT every year.
He was pulled in at bamber bridge to be told the spray supressors on the front wings (steering axle) were incorrect, he has to get them changed and put it in for a full test.
he was also told that if it was still on ROI plates, then it would be legal.
WTF is this about? they’re just standard Scania mudflaps.

Is he running on super singles could be that they want the extra trimming round the wheel arches, thought bamber bridge wouldn’t be so bad now that the two complete t@@ts of coppers retired last year

The flaps have to be as wide as the tyres, if they’re not then it’s a prohibition.

i havn’t seen the prohibition, but they said the spray supressors weren’t up to uk regs. they don’t run super singles on the front.
he did tell me that they didn’t have the spikey carpet type mudlflap/spay supressor, they were more like tough black plastic with lines in. they’ve been like that from new.

I guess it only has ‘flat’ mudflaps & not spray suppression types as required, the required flaps for a UK / NI vehicle normally have either ‘cat’s whisker’ or another laminated type of spray suppression lining.

Plain flaps are not sufficient for a UK / NI test.

Ross.

bigr250:
I guess it only has ‘flat’ mudflaps & not spray suppression types as required, the required flaps for a UK / NI vehicle normally have either ‘cat’s whisker’ or another laminated type of spray suppression lining.

Plain flaps are not sufficient for a UK / NI test.

Ross.

that’s the daft thing. it’s been tested year after year at a VOSA test centre.
i think this sort of thing makes paying for a test worthless. you put a vehicle in for test, they give it a clean bill of health, then down the road at a checkpoint they say “here’s a prohibition, our mistake, but you’re paying”.

limeyphil:
i think this sort of thing makes paying for a test worthless. you put a vehicle in for test, they give it a clean bill of health, then down the road at a checkpoint they say “here’s a prohibition, our mistake, but you’re paying”.

I know exactly what you mean, we have 3 Freuhauf tipping trailers, all sisters bought new in 2006 and have been tested every year since but when I took one for test 2 weeks ago it failed because it only had 1 front white marker light each side & trailers regd after 2003 (I think) need 2!! Fixed boddied trailers can have white markers top & bottom but ‘skels’ flats & tippers need to have 2 each side, mounted either ‘above & below’, or side by side in pairs!!

That’s all this trailer failed on, but it had been tested & passed the previous 5 years with exactly the same front markers.

Ross.

bigr250:

limeyphil:

I know exactly what you mean, we have 3 Freuhauf tipping trailers, all sisters bought new in 2006 and have been tested every year since but when I took one for test 2 weeks ago it failed because it only had 1 front white marker light each side & trailers regd after 2003 (I think) need 2!! Fixed boddied trailers can have white markers top & bottom but ‘skels’ flats & tippers need to have 2 each side, mounted either ‘above & below’, or side by side in pairs!!

That’s all this trailer failed on, but it had been tested & passed the previous 5 years with exactly the same front markers.

Ross.

I seem to remember this happening quite often when a five year old trailer failed a test because the reflector was in the wrong place, we moved them, passed the test, only to fail the test again one year later… :open_mouth:

limeyphil:
a mate of mine has been given a suspended prohibition.
he’s driving a scania that was on Republic of Ireland plates some years ago, It’s been re registered in the north and passed its MOT every year.
He was pulled in at bamber bridge to be told the spray supressors on the front wings (steering axle) were incorrect, he has to get them changed and put it in for a full test.
he was also told that if it was still on ROI plates, then it would be legal.
WTF is this about? they’re just standard Scania mudflaps.

If a truck gets a prohibition & its got under 6 months test left they automatically make You sit a full test You cant just lift the prohibition…

i got pulled a few years ago at tiverton check point as he was reading me the riot act and how he was doing me for having them clogged up with mud and cow ■■■ ( bearing in mine i was driving a bag lorry for mole valley farmers at the time ) another vosa guy came over (i think he must have been more senior than him) and told him that he couldnt do me for it cause of the job i was doing going up and down country lanes and farm tracks ! he got head up buttocks big time lol and was usher on my way by the other guy !! tried to keep out of Junction 27 area for a while afta that !