Spray suppression missing?

Just something been bugging me for a while, mostly foreign tractor units have the top part of it missing, (the bit above the rear wheels on the unit). Is there a genuine reason for this anyone? Just a bit of daft trivia lol

Regards

DB

I think it’s because they have low 5th wheel heights (euro bridge height thing?) relative to the chassis bars so they whip the top of the unit mudguards off as they can scrape on the bottom of the trailer.

We often take the top of the mudguards off for the reason freightdog says, they get scuffed and smashed otherwise.

Back in the days when we were doing middle east we had no rear wings, only a long flap as it was much easier to fit snow chains .
Even back then, when taking a truck for MoT test, as long as you had a trailer on to cover the wheels it was quite acceptable.

That exemption no longer valid for UK vehicles. Inspection 14: “Tractor units and Skeletal vehicles/Trailers must be fitted with full wings to fulfill the spray suppression requirements”.

Possibly in the DVSA ‘Moving On’ newsletter ISTR seeing that if it is not practicable for the tops to be in use, then they still expect to see them carried on the vehicle.

cav551:
then they still expect to see them carried on the vehicle.

Correct - if wing tops removed they must be carried on the vehicle. Wing tops must only be removed when necessary.

I think the flip flops use them for dinner plates.

Probably still in the cab with a half eaten swan.

eagerbeaver:
I think the flip flops use them for dinner plates.

Probably still in the cab with a half eaten swan.

Priceless, straight from the Jeremy Clarkson book of stereotypes. :smiley:

cav551:
That exemption no longer valid for UK vehicles. Inspection 14: “Tractor units and Skeletal vehicles/Trailers must be fitted with full wings to fulfill the spray suppression requirements”.

Possibly in the DVSA ‘Moving On’ newsletter ISTR seeing that if it is not practicable for the tops to be in use, then they still expect to see them carried on the vehicle.

I know this is how things are now, I was talking about 40 years ago!

cav551:

Is the DVSA newsletter really called Moving On?! Is that their knowing nod to one of their biggest financial backers, Nolans?!

switchlogic:

cav551:

Is the DVSA newsletter really called Moving On?! Is that their knowing nod to one of their biggest financial backers, Nolans?!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dan Bear 87:
Just something been bugging me for a while, mostly foreign tractor units have the top part of it missing, (the bit above the rear wheels on the unit). Is there a genuine reason for this anyone? Just a bit of daft trivia lol

Regards

DB

The Suspension is that Low that Wheel would break it down. As most EU Countries have max Overall High of 4 Meter is every Millimeter saved a plus.

Immigrant:

Dan Bear 87:

Regards

DB

The Suspension is that Low that Wheel would break it down. As most EU Countries have max Overall High of 4 Meter is every Millimeter saved a plus.

That would explain the bald tyres then.