Splitting weekly rest

I’m not up to speed on the laws governing weekly rest as it’s been a long time since I’ve had to think about them. I was chatting to a driver today who was adamant that the weekly rest could be split if coming off a long ferry crossing, in his case the Dunkerque to Rosslare one. He said this came in about two years ago, it’s the first I’ve heard of it.

Irishtrucker66:
I’m not up to speed on the laws governing weekly rest as it’s been a long time since I’ve had to think about them. I was chatting to a driver today who was adamant that the weekly rest could be split if coming off a long ferry crossing, in his case the Dunkerque to Rosslare one. He said this came in about two years ago, it’s the first I’ve heard of it.

When taking reduced weekly rest periods on international journeys you can interrupt the reduced weekly rest period by a ferry or train journey as long as the whole of the weekly rest period is taken outside of the companies country and the drivers country of residence.

Visit the link below and scroll down to “1.6 Weekly Rest Periods” then scroll down to “International carriage of goods” for more information.

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

The ferry journey needs to have a scheduled time of eight hours (minimum) if you want to interrupt your weekly rest. What’s the scheduled time of the journey you described?

From EU 2020/1054
(8)Article 9 is amended as follows:
(a)paragraph 1 is replaced by the following:
‘1.
By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train and takes a regular daily rest period or a reduced weekly rest period, that period may be interrupted not more than twice by other activities not exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest or reduced weekly rest period the driver shall have access to a sleeper cabin, bunk or couchette at their disposal.

With regard to regular weekly rest periods, that derogation shall only apply to ferry or train journeys where:

(a) the journey is scheduled for 8 hours or more; and
(b) the driver has access to a sleeper cabin in the ferry or on the train.’;

legislation.gov.uk/eur/2020/1054/2020-07-15

Zac_A:
What’s the scheduled time of the journey you described?

Dunkerque to Rosslare ferry is a 23 hour sailing with DFDS