Splitting a weekly rest period

Now as far as I was aware, if I take a reduced weekly rest it must be followed up with a normal weekly rest at the end of that working week.

It’s been suggested to me that I can split a weekly rest by taking 2x min 24 hour periods off within the week and I would be starting my new working week after the second rest period. Still with me? I would then not need to compensate this by the end of week 3.

It’s a new one on me, but just looking some clarification on it.

Yeah you would need to compensate it by the 3rd week…But by doing that you would have alot of hours to make up by the 3rd weekend…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

So it is legal?

Started back at 1500 Thurs and took 40.5 hours off up to 2100 Tuesday. So if I was to take another 24 hour rest period from say 0700 Thursday could I then run for another 6 days?

Cheers

There are circumstances where you could have 2 reduced weekly rest periods and the second can be used as compensation for the first, but it’s not always the case and anyway it would still count as a reduced weekly rest period for that week.

Example:

You start work on Sunday after a regular 45 hour weekly rest period:
Sunday = Work.
Monday = Work
Tuesday =Work
Wednesday = Rest
Thursday = Work
Friday = Rest
Saturday = Work
Sunday = Work
Monday = Work
Tuesday = Rest

There’s only 5 days between the rest periods on Wednesday and the following Tuesday so the reduced weekly rest period on Friday isn’t needed, for this reason as long as the Friday rest period is long enough it can be used as compensation for the reduced weekly rest period on Wednesday.

elniniol999:
So it is legal?

Started back at 1500 Thurs and took 40.5 hours off up to 2100 Tuesday. So if I was to take another 24 hour rest period from say 0700 Thursday could I then run for another 6 days?

You posted a more specific question while I was typing :slight_smile:

You started on Thursday and had a reduced weekly rest period of 40.5 hours that ended at 21:00 Tuesday, so the rest period must have started at 04:30 Monday.
Now if you take another day off on Thursday then run another 6 days that will take you to next Wednesday, so far so good :smiley:, as you know you will need to have a rest period of at-least 24 hours after the six shifts but be aware that you will need to start a 45 hour weekly rest period sometime before midnight Sunday of next week (18th September).

You will need to pay back compensation for the reduced weekly rest period that ended on Tuesday, but as it’s only 4.5 hours it probably won’t be a problem, you can add compensation onto any rest period of at-least 9 hours so it can be added onto a daily rest period, or if the reduced weekly rest period on Thursday is 29.5 hours or more that will cover it.

That’s the long answer, the short answer is … yes :smiley:

edit:I should have said that this is assuming that you had a regular 45 hour weekly rest period last week.

Thanks tacho! I like the long version as I get an explanation!

Yes I had 67 hours off before then start of the periods in question. I plan on starting back at 0100 on Saturday so in turn this would have already compensated if my understanding is correct?

Thanks

elniniol999:
I plan on starting back at 0100 on Saturday so in turn this would have already compensated if my understanding is correct?

Yes, if you have more than 28.5 hours off (I said 29.5 before :blush: ) the compensation will be paid back.
(That’s 24 hours rest which allows you to start a new six 24 hour periods and 4.5 hours compensation)

You will still need to start a 45 hour weekly rest period sometime before the end of next week though.

Slightly different example here now but just wanted to check my understanding -

47.5 hours off up to
Tuesday 0045
Wed work
Thu work
Fri work
Sat work
Sun work and finish at 1200
37 hours off
Tuesday 0100 work
Wed work then 27.5 off
Thu 1400 work
Fri work
Sat work
Sun work

So the question is can I work on Monday or do I need to be finished by 0100 Monday? I know that whether I can or can’t work Monday that I must have a full weekly rest at the end of this working week regardress.

elniniol999:
Slightly different example here now but just wanted to check my understanding -

47.5 hours off up to
Tuesday 0045
Wed work
Thu work
Fri work
Sat work
37 hours off
Tuesday 0100 work
Wed work then 27.5 off
Thu 1400 work
Fri work
Sat work
Sun work

So the question is can I work on Monday or do I need to be finished by 0100 Monday? I know that whether I can or can’t work Monday that I must have a full weekly rest at the end of this working week regardress.

0100 monday is correct for start of weekly rest

Is the 47.5 off for the week prior or the week starting :question:

elniniol999:
47.5 hours off

Week 1
Tuesday 0045
Wed work
Thu work
Fri work
Sat work

37 hours off

Week 2
Tuesday 0100 work
Wed work then 27.5 off
Thu 1400 work
Fri work
Sat work
Sun work
Week 3 starts at midnight Sunday

You’ve had a reduced weekly rest period of 27.5 hours on Wednesday/Thursday so that resets the six 24 hour periods, however from the information given it’s not possible to say for certain when you need to start a new weekly rest period.

You should have a weekly rest period in each week, in any 2 consecutive weeks you should have at-least 1 regular weekly rest period and 1 reduced weekly rest period.

To give a definitive answer we would need to know which week the 47.5 hours weekly rest period counts for:

• If the 47.5 hours rest period can be counted for week 1 then your next weekly rest period must start no later than 14:00 Wednesday of week 3
  • However if the 47.5 hour rest period has to be counted for the week before week 1 you must start a 45 hour weekly rest period before midnight Sunday of week 2.

Another query on split Weekly rests but as it’s quite generic I thought I’d lump it back in here.

When splitting a weekly rest, do both rest periods need to fall in the same week - ie be started (or finished) by 2359 Sunday? I flagged for an infringement about 6 weeks back but I was never given an explanation.

I’ve got a feeling that they both need to have started in the same week but can it finish rolling into the next? So as a very vague generic example say 24h off from Tuesday 0100 and then start a other 24h off at 2300 Sunday? Hope that makes sense.

elniniol999:
Another query on split Weekly rests but as it’s quite generic I thought I’d lump it back in here.

When splitting a weekly rest, do both rest periods need to fall in the same week - ie be started (or finished) by 2359 Sunday? I flagged for an infringement about 6 weeks back but I was never given an explanation.

I’ve got a feeling that they both need to have started in the same week but can it finish rolling into the next? So as a very vague generic example say 24h off from Tuesday 0100 and then start a other 24h off at 2300 Sunday? Hope that makes sense.

Technically there’s no such thing as a split weekly rest period.

You can have a reduced weekly rest period and pay back the compensation but it’s still a reduced weekly rest period.

Compensation for a reduced weekly rest period has to be paid back by the end of the third week following the week in which the reduced weekly rest period was taken.

You must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at-least every second week.

When you get an infringement you should make sure you’re aware of what it’s for before signing it, the company have a legal obligation to make you aware of what you’re doing wrong (regarding the drivers regulations) and how to correct it.

elniniol999:
24h off from Tuesday 0100 and then start a other 24h off at 2300 Sunday?

That is two reduced weekly rests and if the sunday one is not needed for the week starting then one of those two is a spare which does need compensating for

So more specifically guys, would the following be legal?

Week 1
Mon work
Tues work
Wed work
Thurs work
Fri work then take 56 hours rest (this rest is for week 1)

Week 2
Mon work
Tues work
Wed work
Thurs work
Fri work then take 29 hours off
Sat work
Sun work then take 31 hours off from 9pm

Week 3
Mon still on rest
Tues work
Wed work
Thurs work
Fri work
Sat work
Sun work and start a full weekly rest before midnight for week 3

Hope that makes sense. Obviously I need to watch both driving and working hours on this and I’m flipping between days and nights

Yes that looks legal and only 1 of the reduced weekly rest periods needs to be compensated for.

Be sure that the weekly rest for week 3 actually starts in week 3, i.e. before midnight Sunday :wink: