Split weekly rest info required

Hi Folks :smiley:

I briefly read part of a document on a web site about splitting weekly rest periods, as in having 27 hours rest in the middle of the week followed by 24 hours rest at the end. I can’t find this page anywhere to study it in more detail

Can someone tell me if this would result in a reduced rest, or would this be considered as a full weekly rest period of 51 hours?

The reason I am asking, I will be starting work on Sunday at 19:15

Sunday 19:15 - 07:00
Monday 19:15 - 07:00
Tuesday 19:15 - 07:00

Wednesday at 07:00 weekly rest will begin until 18:30 Friday = 59.5 hours weekly rest

Friday 18:30 — 07:00 (Just back in for one overtime shift) then off until Sunday 19:45… = 36.75 hours rest.

Thing I want to know is… Could I use this as a split weekly rest, as I don’t want to reduce? And When would my 144 hours start on Friday at 18:30 (after 59.5 weekly rest) or on Sunday at 19:45 (after a second weekly rest period of 36.75)?

Any info of help would be much appreciated

:smiley:

The week wont be a reduced weeks as you have a full 45 plus in he week

Ypur 144hours will start after the 45
But then after the second break of 24 plus wou will reset them again

No such thing as splitting weekly rest, you can only split a daily rest period. With a 27 hour rest and a 24 hour rest you would have two reduced weekly rest periods in the same week which is fine but you would need a regular rest the week before and the week after. All the second rest period does is give you a new 144 hours until your next weekly rest must start. Only one of those two reduced rest periods will require compensation.

In your situation you will have a full rest with the 50+ hour one and the reduced is only to reset the 144 hour calculation, it will start again after your second rest period. You do not need to compensate for that 30+ hour period as it is more than the minimum required for the week as you will have already had a full weekly rest.

There is no thing as split weekly rest either

One week must be a min of 45
Can reduce down etc following
And follow cycle

But if in one week you have like your eg 27 &24
Will still class as a reduced but you already made the hours up

you cannot split a weekly rest, its either a full 45 min hours or a reduced min 24 hours, so following your reduced 24hr rest you start your 144hrs again

gettin-on:
But if in one week you have like your eg 27 &24
Will still class as a reduced but you already made the hours up

Not really. You couldn’t use the 24-hour period as compensation for the 27-hour one as it leave less than 9 hours and compensation must be attached to a rest period of at least 9 hours. If it was a little longer and you used it as compensation then it would no longer be a weekly rest period and would therefore not reset the 144 hour calculation.

I understood that the following is the case.
A weekly rest period maybe reduced to a minimum of 24 hours, this must be compensated for before the end of the 4th week after the reduced rest, the compensation must be in full and attached to a normal 48 hour weekly rest period. Also you cannot have a second reduced weekly rest until you have compensated for the first. So if you were to reduce your weekly rest to 27 hours then you would need a full 48 + the 21 hours that you reduced by, so a 69 hour weekly rest before you could reduce your weekly rest again.

dreamingofoz:
I understood that the following is the case.
A weekly rest period maybe reduced to a minimum of 24 hours,

Correct

dreamingofoz:
this must be compensated for before the end of the 4th week after the reduced rest,

Correct

dreamingofoz:
the compensation must be in full and attached to a normal 48 hour weekly rest period.

A regular weekly rest is 45 hours not 48. Compensation can be added to any rest period of at least 9 hours.

dreamingofoz:
Also you cannot have a second reduced weekly rest until you have compensated for the first. So if you were to reduce your weekly rest to 27 hours then you would need a full 48 + the 21 hours that you reduced by, so a 69 hour weekly rest before you could reduce your weekly rest again.

Nothing like that in the regulations at all. You can take other reduced rest periods before the compensation for the last one is taken.

In the example the OP gave with 27 and 24 hour reduced rest periods in the same week only one of those needs compensating for anyway.

Thanks for the help guys, I am happy with the example situation I posted asking about… Much appreciated :smiley:

Reading some of the responses, I am unclear about the “Two reduced rests” in the one week…

If I have a reduced rest of 24 hours mid week, followed by 27 at the end of the week, I understand now this constitutes as a reduced rest, I am unsure about the pay back procedure. Does the second rest period pay back the first rest period, or would I have to pay bay one of them (i.e 21 or 18 hours) back? if so which one?

Also If I have a rest period on

Week one of 40 hours,
Week two of 45 hours,
Week three 39 hours,
Week four 50 hours,

Week one reduced by 5 hours, and paid back in full (Attached to a 45 hour rest period) by the end of week four, with another reduced rest in week three… Is this a legal example or Can I not reduce again until I have paid back in full my reducer in week one?

Thanks again for the info guys :smiley:

can add on to a daily rest aswell
But all mus be taken en block

So for eg your 5 hrs owed can take a daily of 9 or 11 so a 14 or 16 hr rest and have made them up without having to add to a weekly

G6Bob:
Thanks for the help guys, I am happy with the example situation I posted asking about… Much appreciated :smiley:

Reading some of the responses, I am unclear about the “Two reduced rests” in the one week…

If I have a reduced rest of 24 hours mid week, followed by 27 at the end of the week, I understand now this constitutes as a reduced rest, I am unsure about the pay back procedure. Does the second rest period pay back the first rest period, or would I have to pay bay one of them (i.e 21 or 18 hours) back? if so which one?

The second period doesn’t pay back the first, after the payback it wouldn’t leave enough hours for it to even be a daily rest. Compensation must be attached to a rest period of at least 9 hours and in that scenario taking 21 hours as compensation leaves only 6 hours. In a situation were less compensation was required it could be used that way. However, if the compensation reduces the period to less than 24 hours then it would no longer be a weekly rest and wouldn’t reset the 144 hour clock.

You can compensate either rest period, doesn’t matter which. Probably easiest to do the one that needs the least compensation.

G6Bob:

Week one of 40 hours,
Week two of 45 hours,
Week three 39 hours,
Week four 50 hours,

Week one reduced by 5 hours, and paid back in full (Attached to a 45 hour rest period) by the end of week four, with another reduced rest in week three… Is this a legal example or Can I not reduce again until I have paid back in full my reducer in week one?

That’s legal, with one small caveat. Technically the compensation must be paid back by the end of the third week following the reduction. The end of the third week following would be at midnight on the Sunday so, by the letter of the regulations, you should have to have completed the 50 hours by then but I don’t think that is policed too strictly. For instance, I have never seen any of the analysis software flag an infringement if the compensation isn’t completed before midnight.

The 39 hours in week 3 will need paying back before the end of week 6 and you could reduce again in week 5, before that compensation is made, if you wished.

If you had a daily rest of at least 14 hours before the end of week 4 your then your 5 hours will have been compensated for, provided you had a reduced break available to add the 5 hours to. If you did have a reduced available a daily rest of between 14 and 16 hours will take care of that. Sixteen+ hours and it’s done as well by adding it to a regular daily rest.

Stupid me. Of course it’s 45 hours and not 48 for a full weekly rest, must be getting late :blush:
Bloody DCPC course I did on drivers hours definitely said that you can’t reduce for a second time until you have compensated for the first reduction though. Just goes to show that you can’t believe everything they tell you I suppose :unamused:
Time to get on the old .gov Web site and start checking for myself I suppose.
My normal working week is Monday to Friday so can’t remember the last time I had to reduce a weekly rest period.

dreamingofoz:
Stupid me. Of course it’s 45 hours and not 48 for a full weekly rest, must be getting late :blush:
Bloody DCPC course I did on drivers hours definitely said that you can’t reduce for a second time until you have compensated for the first reduction though. Just goes to show that you can’t believe everything they tell you I suppose :unamused:

Best not to believe anything and just check for yourself, very few of them seem to actually know what they are talking about. There is often a way to tell when the person presenting the course is talking ■■■■■■■■, their lips are moving. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

G6Bob:

The second period doesn’t pay back the first, after the payback it wouldn’t leave enough hours for it to even be a daily rest. Compensation must be attached to a rest period of at least 9 hours and in that scenario taking 21 hours as compensation leaves only 6 hours. In a situation were less compensation was required it could be used that way. However, if the compensation reduces the period to less than 24 hours then it would no longer be a weekly rest and wouldn’t reset the 144 hour clock.

You can compensate either rest period, doesn’t matter which. Probably easiest to do the one that needs the least compensation.

G6Bob:

Week one of 40 hours,
Week two of 45 hours,
Week three 39 hours,
Week four 50 hours,

That’s legal, with one small caveat. Technically the compensation must be paid back by the end of the third week following the reduction. The end of the third week following would be at midnight on the Sunday so, by the letter of the regulations, you should have to have completed the 50 hours by then but I don’t think that is policed too strictly. For instance, I have never seen any of the analysis software flag an infringement if the compensation isn’t completed before midnight.

The 39 hours in week 3 will need paying back before the end of week 6 and you could reduce again in week 5, before that compensation is made, if you wished.

If you had a daily rest of at least 14 hours before the end of week 4 your then your 5 hours will have been compensated for, provided you had a reduced break available to add the 5 hours to. If you did have a reduced available a daily rest of between 14 and 16 hours will take care of that. Sixteen+ hours and it’s done as well by adding it to a regular daily rest.

The caveat mentioned, end of the third week following the reduction… that would be week four in my example? or week three? as in reduce on week one, then have three weeks to pay back, making four weeks?

Coffeeholic:

dreamingofoz:

Best not to believe anything and just check for yourself, very few of them seem to actually know what they are talking about. There is often a way to tell when the person presenting the course is talking ■■■■■■■■, their lips are moving. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

True, being new to trucking, I find the people in offices advising drivers know very little about the R&R ect… The guy who led our DCPC class seemed to know his stuff, but its alot to take in at once. Asking on here has served me very well :smiley:

G6Bob:

Coffeeholic:

G6Bob:

Week one of 40 hours,
Week two of 45 hours,
Week three 39 hours,
Week four 50 hours,

The caveat mentioned, end of the third week following the reduction… that would be week four in my example? or week three? as in reduce on week one, then have three weeks to pay back, making four weeks?

Correct

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … europe.pdf

Just down loaded this onto my phone. Tells you all you need to know.