Split rests......how long

Hi all

Hoping you lot can put me right on something

Company I drive for has put us on split rests to get the max out of us when it suits them

So my question when you have a two day rest period how long can you go with several single day rest periods

here is my rota for next few weeks is it legal

Mon work Tues rest Weds rest Thurs work Fri work Sat work Sun rest
Mon work Tues work Weds work Thurs rest Fri work Sat work Sun work
Mon work Tues rest Weds work Thurs work Fri work Sat rest Sun rest

So between my two day rests I have 16 days but 3 of the days are single rest days

i am finding the single rest days tiring but really want to know that I am legal

You need to forget about “days” and look at the hours off.

Finishing at say 11am Saturday and restarting at 8am Monday is onky one day off but it’s still a 45hr rest period.

Forgot the legality of this for a moment, if you’re feeling tired having to do these split weeks then you need to reconsider this job. If its getting to you now, its only going to get worse.

Onto your question. My interpretation of the rules, I did one reduced rest, noting down how much I reduced by. The following weekend I took a straight 45 then the weekend after that I paid back my hours in full so it’ll be the 45 plus the hours I missed on my first rest period. I say as long as you’re given the time to pay back your hours you miss out on when you reduce by the 3rd week you should be ok.

roughly depending on the day going wrong do 10 to 12 hours, no worries on working time get some poa

so can finish 2 am then start next day 2 pm so thats 36 hours approx on a single rest day

and approx 60 hours on two rest days

someone got me thinking when they said you could not go more than 12 days between your two rest days

but did not know how the single rest days played into this

By the 3rd rest period you need to pay back the hours from when you reduced so they need to factor that in but you need to tell them this.

Mon work Tues rest Weds rest Thurs work Fri work Sat work Sun rest
Mon work Tues work Weds work Thurs rest Fri work Sat work Sun work
Mon work Tues rest Weds work Thurs work Fri work Sat rest Sun rest

ASSUMING each working day is the same such as 6am to 7pm then it is legal
Regular for week 1 and week 3
Sunday reduced at the end of week 1 can be used for week 2 - that leaves the thu + tue reduced for payback as that are used for no week

That schedule of work is hilarious. I’d suggest quitting immediately.

slowlane:
That schedule of work is hilarious. I’d suggest quitting immediately.

Yes. I’d be interested to know why the firm needed a rota like that.

Expect silly shift patterns to become more widely used as the driver shortage begins to bite once we leave the EU.