Split rest!

Hi guys
Hoping someone can keep me right on the workings of split daily rest. Taking a min of 3 hours then working and then taking the remainder. How long can I work and how would this benefit me?

EddieMD:
Hi guys
Hoping someone can keep me right on the workings of split daily rest. Taking a min of 3 hours then working and then taking the remainder. How long can I work and how would this benefit me?

1 - Regular daily rest could be 13 hour shift followed by 11 hours rest
2 - Reduced daily rest could be 15 hour shift followed by 9 hours rest - max of 3 between weekly rests
3 - Split regular daily rest could be a 15 hours shift with an unbroken 3 hours rest at some point in it followed by 9 hours rest

You can do number 3 every shift

EddieMD:
Hi guys

A split daily rest period is when you have three consecutive hours rest during the shift and another nine consecutive hours rest after the shift, the nine hours rest needs to be completed within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift.

A split daily rest period means you can do a 15 hour spread-over from the start of the shift to the end of the shift and as long as your second rest period is at-least nine hours it’s counted as a regular daily rest period.

Where you can only have three reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods you can have a split daily rest period every day, however having a split daily rest period means having a total of 12 hours rest in two separate blocks each day.

Without knowing what you do I’ve no idea whether or not split daily rest periods would benefit you.

To be honest I’m not sure I’d even need to use this but just making sure I know the ins and outs.
For example…5am start…4pm stop…4pm till 9pm rest break…then still have 4hrs duty time left?

EddieMD:
To be honest I’m not sure I’d even need to use this but just making sure I know the ins and outs.
For example…5am start…4pm stop…4pm till 9pm rest break…then still have 4hrs duty time left?

Given the times you’ve given you’re obviously misunderstanding the rules.

If you start work at 05:00 then have a three hour rest period say from 11:00 to 14:00 you could then work until 20:00, at 20:00 you would need to have a nine hour rest period, if you work past 20:00 you won’t be able to get a nine hour rest period in by 05:00.
The daily rest period needs to be completed within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift just like any other daily rest period on a single manned journey.

Ah right, so it still has to be take within the 24hr period. Then it’s kinda pointless as I can take breaks as normal and still put in a 15hr shift working and driving, just not taking them in a 3hr block.

EddieMD:
Ah right, so it still has to be take within the 24hr period. Then it’s kinda pointless as I can take breaks as normal and still put in a 15hr shift working and driving, just not taking them in a 3hr block.

If you do a 15 hour shift without having a split daily rest period it’s a reduced daily rest period and you can only have three of those between weekly rest periods.

Having said that, split daily rest periods aren’t any use to everyone.

I got it now I think.

I want to thank you guys for learning that up for me …

Clearing that up…oopps