Split Daily Rest

Need your help on this. If i do a split daily rest, 3 hrs in day and then 9 hrs at night and that classes as a 11hr rest. Could i do this every day or am i limited to how many i can do.

Thanks newbie

Daftdafdriver:
Need your help on this. If i do a split daily rest, 3 hrs in day and then 9 hrs at night and that classes as a 11hr rest. Could i do this every day or am i limited to how many i can do.

Thanks newbie

You can do this every day because you haven’t reduced your rest, you have added to it. It means you are taking 12 hours rest every day. As long as you remember the 3 hours must be en bloc. (taken in one lump) and cannot be split further

Ok thanks. I know you can do 3 15hr shifts but if i do a split daily rest then can i do a extra 15hr shift? Or am i fixed to 3 15hr shifts

Daftdafdriver:
Ok thanks. I know you can do 3 15hr shifts but if i do a split daily rest then can i do a extra 15hr shift? Or am i fixed to 3 15hr shifts

As Wheel Nut said you can have split daily rest periods every working day if you wish, with split daily rests you can do 15 hours shifts every working day if that’s what you want to do.

To answer your precise question, If you do 3 x 15 hours shifts because of having reduced daily rest periods you can then do another 15 hour spread-over by having a split daily rest.

Double post sorry :blush:

Sorry to sound thick! So every time i do a split daily rest i can do a extra 15hr shift?

I.e Mon, Tues, Wed i use my 3 15hr shift and then on thursday i do my split daily rest then on thurs or fri can can do another 15hr shift.

I happy to just do my 3 15hrs shift but just wana make clear.

Thanks for your help

Daftdafdriver:
Sorry to sound thick! So every time i do a split daily rest i can do a extra 15hr shift?

I.e Mon, Tues, Wed i use my 3 15hr shift and then on thursday i do my split daily rest then on thurs or fri can can do another 15hr shift.

Thanks for your help

No.

If you use your 3 x 15’s on Mon, Tues, Weds…you can have a split daily rest on Thurs and work 15 hrs that day…you can’t carry it over to the Friday i.e. start at 0700 Thurs, 3 hr daily rest 12 -1500, finish at 2200, start on Friday at 0700…you have worked 15 hrs but had 12 hrs rest in the 24 hr period so perfectly legal. The key is keeping it in the 24 hr period.
Of course you can do exactly the same on Friday to give you another 15 hr day, but you have to have the 3 hr split rest within the same 24 hr period, you can’t carry it over to the next day!

Hope that’s clear?

Daftdafdriver:

If you have reduced daily rest periods on Monday Tuesday and Wednesday you could legally have split daily rest periods on Thursday and Friday.

OR

You could legally have split daily rest periods on Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and Friday.

If you have a rest period of at-least 3 consecutive hours during the shift, you can legally have another 9 hour rest period at the end of the shift to be completed within 24 hours from the start of shift giving you a spread-over of 15 hours for all 5 days.

Daftdafdriver:

Thanks for your help

You cant do a 15 hour shift, there are only 24 hours in a day and you have used 12 of them sleeping :stuck_out_tongue:

Tachograph got up late this morning, he is still asleep. :laughing:

You must take 11 hours rest within a 24 hour period, however this can be REDUCED to 9 hours three times between two weekly rest periods.

If you did the above that would allow you to have 3 x 15 hour spreadovers (for want of a better word)

If you have 11 hours rest every night you can only ever have 13 hour spreadovers.

So it follows that if you have 12 hours rest between daily rest periods, you can only have a 12 hour spreadover

Wheel Nut:

You must take 11 hours rest within a 24 hour period, however this can be REDUCED to 9 hours three times between two weekly rest periods.

If you did the above that would allow you to have 3 x 15 hour spreadovers (for want of a better word)

If you have 11 hours rest every night you can only ever have 13 hour spreadovers.

So it follows that if you have 12 hours rest between daily rest periods, you can only have a 12 hour spreadover

By “Spread-over” I mean the time from start of the working day to the end of the working day not the working time.

I think you’ll find that’s what most people mean by “spread-over” :wink:

edit:
A quick search of TN-UK suggests that most other people also regard the spread-over as the time from the start of the working day to the end of the working day :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

tachograph:

Wheel Nut:

By “Spread-over” I mean the time from start of the working day to the end of the working day not the working time.

I think you’ll find that’s what most people mean by “spread-over” :wink:

I am not sure Daftdafdriver did.

That is the problem with using the very old term which stems back to 12.5 hours spreadovers.

Thanks all for your good info.

thomasniel92:
Rest is necessary for all driver who drive more than 16 hrs. Because if you are drive continually more than 16 hrs then you can not focus on the next day and feel tiredness. May your health is not working good for the other day. You can also take split rest when you are driving for a day.

“Drive continually more than 16 hours” :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wheel Nut:

You reckon?

Try this:

Start at 0700 Monday, work till 1200, break till 1500, work till 2200, rest till 0700 Tuesday. 1 24 hr period, 12 hrs rest, but 15 hrs spreadover!

Am i correct in saying that a 3 hour rest during a shift doubles as a split daily rest and a 45 min break,for example i drive 4h 30min then have 3 hours rest-i would not have to add 45 min onto the 3 hours for the 3 hours to count as a split daily rest in that particular shift?

CALUM:
Am i correct in saying that a 3 hour rest during a shift doubles as a split daily rest and a 45 min break,for example i drive 4h 30min then have 3 hours rest-i would not have to add 45 min onto the 3 hours for the 3 hours to count as a split daily rest in that particular shift?

You are correct, if you meant should I take 3.45 rest.

You need a break at 4.30, if you go to bed or go do some shopping or fishing for 3 hours, you only need a 9h rest that evening without using a reduction…